5.0 out of 5 stars "Oldies" for the "young"
I'm almost thirty, and there were tunes that were recorded on my mind because of my parent's musical taste.
Bill Withers has a few on that lot, and they are all here. For a more detailed review, you should look into Bill Withers real fans.
Published on 22 Sep 2009 by Tiago Duarte Ferreira

3.0 out of 5 stars Great classics
I enjoyed this CD but I have to admit I only bought it for one song, `just the two of us`...for my wedding...I love track 2 aswell & if you like classic jazz funk you will enjoy it too...some of the other songs are abit slow..great if your in the mood but I found myself forwarding them in the car...all in all a good listen x
Published on 26 April 2011 by Mrs. T. I. Phillips

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars "Oldies" for the "young", 22 Sep 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing since sliced bread. Buy it. Now., 4 May 2002
This review is from: Bill Withers' Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
It oozes class and Billy boy doesn't put a foot wrong throughout this greatest hits album. The opening track "Just The Two Of Us" will be familiar to Will Smith fans, but thankfully he declines to rap during the verses, opting for a more conventional method - singing. Give it a try sometime Will. Anyway, back to the review.
The absence of a large number of tracks on this album is more than compensated for by the quality of each and every track. This isn't an album that you skip. Don't even think about it.
"Use Me" makes excellent use of Bill's strong vocals, with a catchy rhythm to boot. And then it comes. Track 3 - "Ain't No Sunshine", the breathtaking song covered by Will Young on Pop Idol. To say it is the albums highlight would simply be to the detriment of the rest of the album, so I won't say such a crazy thing. This album has no good songs, no weak songs. You would certainly be forgiven to think that this was not a compilation of songs, as each one flows into the next as if it has only ever been that way.

"Lovely Day" will be familiar to many, although the exact source may be hard to come by. It took my girlfriend to tell me that Tetley Tea used it in one of their commercials. Great song though. Just try and keep up with his voice, if you like to sing along in the shower. It's not easy, believe me.
The next two songs may not be as familiar, but that does not detract from their instant appeal. "I Want To Spend The Night" and "Soul Shadows" go together as is they were both written in the same breath. Having thought this, I was a bit blown over to learn that the latter was not even written by the man himself. He pulls it off effortlessly as if it was his own though. Genius. They are both songs that make you want to dance the night away, as the Mavericks would say. However, the emergence of "Lean On Me" in the album, makes you find a comfy chair, put your feet up and just listen. Listen to the man do his thang, in total awe.
"Grandma's Hands" is another well-loved Bill Withers song. Slightly low-key compared to other songs on the album, but this does not matter. It is still a wee cracker of a song, only 2 mins in length.
Track 9, "Hello Like Before" has too long an intro for my liking, but once the vocals start you soon forger all about it. A wonderful song, which reminds me of a cross between "The Way we were" and Lionel Richie, but at the same time managing to sound fresh and unique. Not to mention much better. A corker of a song, which has a great orchestral backing.
The final track "Who Is He What Is He To You", has a slightly bluesy feel, with a reggae-like guitar wah-wah twanging throughout the song which would have made Mr Marley proud. It is a suitable closing track for an album which has made me hungry for more Bill Withers.
Don't read this review and dismiss the album as mere music. Don't do such a thing to yourself. Buy the album, sit back and let the songs go to work on your soul. You won't regret it.
Thank you for your time. Here endeth the lesson.

5.0 out of 5 stars jez.kmlfa, 27 Jun 2008
This review is from: Bill Withers' Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Super mellow and chilled album. You will hum or sing your way through every track. Marvellous! Kick back and enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars All the classics in one place..., 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Bill Withers' Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
All the well-known classics brought together on one CD. Perfect Christmas present for wifey to add to her iTunes collection. Although being a bit 'old-school', I prefer to buy the CD than do the download thing...

5.0 out of 5 stars Bill Wither's, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: Bill Withers' Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Was delighted to receive this album as I only had it on cassette tape. All of his best hits are here giving you the best of this man 's great voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars love Bill !, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: Bill Withers' Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
brilliant album..I bought this for my friend...we had a great night making our own "movie" singing call me..so I had to get the album !

4.0 out of 5 stars nice vocals, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
bill withers gives us a few great songs here lovely day,aint no sunshine plus more great relaxing music full of soul

5.0 out of 5 stars Bill Withers, 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: Bill Withers' Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Love it, reminds me of "The seventies". "Lean on me" is my favourite. Used to listen to it all the time when I was at college. Sounds as good today as it always did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Lovely Album, 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: Bill Withers' Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I was just 18 when I first heard ‘Ain’t No Sunshine’ – one of the finest songs ever and certainly one of the most atmospheric. I was very surprised to note that it is only two minutes long!
Bill Withers wrote some truly wonderful songs and had a great voice to boot. He’s now in his mid70’s.
Ain’t No Sunshine, Just the Two of Us, Lovely Day & Lean on Me are all awesome songs and to write four as good as that is an incredible achievement.
‘Grandma’s Hands’ is also a really nice song and so Gregory Porter – its unsurprising then that Withers was a big influence on Gregory!
The only track not written by Bill on this album is ‘Soul Shadows.’
Surprisingly Withers had only moderate success with his albums, though
’ Still Bill’ did hit the number one spot in the American R&B charts and made number four in the Billboard.
Bill also had limited success in the UK. I find it staggering that ‘Ain’t No Sunshine’ only reached number 40 in our singles chart, though ‘ Lovely Day’ has had two top 10 entries over the years.
This is a fine album for sure, with some outstanding quality and is undoubtedly very easy listening. Like a lot of ‘greatest hits’ albums nothing quite matches the aforementioned four classics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funkier and smoother than the newer releases... a great buy., 22 April 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Bill Withers' Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
The first track on this CD, "Just The Two Of Us" was covered by Will Smith, and more recently, by Dr. Evil and Mini-me, for the "Austin Powers 2: The Spy Who Shagged Me" soundtrack. It was great to hear the original version of this song, and it's much funkier and smoother than the newer releases - I love the last verse and the latin percussion which accompanies it. "Lovely Day" is another song featured on this album; I had heard this on a tea-bag advert on TV, and yet again, the original sounds much better than the re-release (especially the funky slap-bass introduction). "Lean On Me" is another soul-classic, and sounds wonderful all the time. Bill Withers should be more widely recognised as a great songwriter and marvellous singer. The album was produced by some famous names too, including Grover Washington Jr. (who also plays sax in "Just The Two Of Us"), and Booker T. Jones - of Booker T. and the MG's and The Blues Brothers fame. A great buy, at a ridiculously low price. [I purchased using my Egg credit card and recieved a 5% discount too!]

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Bill Withers' Greatest Hits
Bill Withers' Greatest Hits by Bill Withers (Audio CD - 2000)