Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 January 2010
Beggar on a beach of Gold is, in my opinion, Mike and the Mechanics' greatest achievement. It's thought provoking, powerful and moving and the last four songs especially are really beautiful. If you're a M+TM fan or even if you're just curious about M+TM and want to hear some of their music this CD is well worth owning.
on 3 May 2006
This is an excellent album in every sense.Beautiful instrumentation combined with the vocal talents of Paul Carrack and the late Paul Young make this a real knockout.Mike Rutherford more than does his share with his songwriting ability and guitar playing.

Favourite tracks for me are the well known 'Over My Shoulder' and the beautiful 'Someone Always Hates Someone'.That said there isn't a weak track on the album, special mention though of the rocking 'Web Of Lies'.Altogether a superb album...if you like Mike&Mechanics at all..buy it!
on 7 July 2009
I had this on cassette single back in the mid nineties. I played it so much that it wore out! To my amazement, I found the CD single on Amazon recently, which I subsequently purchased. There are three tracks on this single, all of which are as strong as each other and all could have been singles in their own right. I wouldn't say I was necessarily a fan of M&TM, it is just that these songs are timeless and sound as fresh now, as they did back in 1995. This is Mike & The Mechanics at their creative peak.
on 10 January 2012
And I disagree with the "cover" review - about cover versions. I prefer their "I believe" to Mr G's so there!
Recommended. You will play this more than once - which I for one cant say from the majority of my record collection.
on 1 April 2015
A lovely selection of moody, thoughtful songs, especially the title track - this is on constant play in the car - Another Cup of Coffee also great; Mike Rutherford can certainly serve up a great composition.
on 20 May 2013
I waited a while before rating this. Having read other reviews and having all the earlier Mike + Mechanics Cds I thought I would see if things had suffered a down-turn. Whilst on some tracks there is a different approach - it is refreshing. But the links are thereto the old Cds - and thats good . Mea Culpa really grows on you and some of the lyrics and the interaction with the music is very good - very complimentary. I would recommend this if you dont have it in the collection. It is really good and you cant go wrong.
on 6 March 2014
I had this album on cassette in the olden days and was listening to something on the radio which sparked a memory and decided I needed to have a new copy. It is a brilliant cd with a great selection of tracks, all of which offer something different. Beggar on a Beach of Gold is quite uplifting, as it Over my Shoulder. There are some tracks, such as The Ghost of Sex and You which are quite haunting.

I loved Genesis in the early days and I love Mike Rutherford now. Highly recommended album.
on 29 May 2014
Fab album , and a fab voice ...could listen to it for hours and i probably will lol
love him
on 20 June 2015
Great mid 90s rock album with brilliant musicians and songs. Stand out tracks are: Another Cup of Coffee and the superbly crafted powerhouse Someone Always Hates Someone.
So many facets of light and shade are here. From the relaxing to the tense, it has it all!
on 3 April 2014
Bought this simply to replace copy I lost. Saw the band live last month when they played some of the tracks on this album. Not a bad track on it. A must for every Mike & Mechanics fan.