5.0 out of 5 stars star people, 19 Nov 2002
This review is from: Star People (Audio CD)
Quite hard to get hold of, this album is probably one of mile's greatest works of the 80's. Miles handles both trumpet and keyboards whilst other team members include al foster (drums) marcus miller (bass), bill evans (sax)and guitarists John Scofield & Mike Stern. The keyboards aren't as cheesy and buffoonish as in the decoy album, and Marcus Miller does a top job on bass, and isn't suffocating the recording with gimmicky 80's production like he did on tutu and amandla. Overall the album has an energetic live band sound, with a meaty funk/fusion style with bluesy playing from guitar great scofield.
This may not have the same musicianship as some of the miles classics like 'kind of blue', or even his 60's fusion efforts, but this is great to listen to, has a tight sound that (apart from the few dated synths maybe) is highly contemporary. It's great to hear Miles playing keyboards too, especially on the fender rhodes, where he jams along playing some fine chord progressions to what is mostly long one chord hi energy jams.
Great to see amazon stock this album that had alledgely been deleted from production (is this right?)
I highly recommend this to open minded jazz fans, and to anyone with a passing interest in jazz, funk, fusion and keep an open mind musically.

4.0 out of 5 stars Miles' best 80s album., 22 April 2003
Adam Ventress (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Star People (Audio CD)
Miles' 80s music is often dismissed, best known for commercial overt jazz pop, where his abilities as an innovator and composer were no longer to the fore. What is sometimes forgotten, however is that before Miles became a pop star(a luxury no one could begrudge him after over three decades of sheer genius), he produced music like that found on 'Star People.'
OK, it isn't up there with his very finest records, but this was a man approaching sixty who showed he still had what it takes. It is still very much a Miles Davis album; all the music is his, even the cover artwork is his. As ever he is surrounded by upcoming young musicians, and his own playing is inventive and exuberant. He also continues with an instrumental 'double' he began in the 70s, by playing keyboards.
In some respects, this is Miles' last jazz album, and is all the more precious for that. The album's centrepiece is the title track, an extended blues jam, dominated by superb playing from Miles, backed up well by Mike Stern on guitar. 'It Gets Better' shows Miles' lyrical touch was still there, while 'Speak' and the charming 'U'n'I' in particular are incredibly catchy, although there are hints of the more pop orientated material he was soon to embrace.
Miles plays almost entirely on muted horn, as he did for much of the 80s, and the sound is a little shrill and tinny once or twice, but that is a minor point; this is a very good album. The main message is: don't dismiss Miles' 80s music until you've heard 'Star People.'

5.0 out of 5 stars a revelatory first encounter with Miles, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: Star People (Audio CD)
Bought this on a whim from Virgin in Leeds in May 1983, having come across the album racked out in their new releases section. I wasn't a Miles fan, not even remotely a jazz fan (I'm sure I didn't quite know what "jazz" was - hell, I was only 19 and basically into heavy rock!): I just went for it because a) well I've heard of Miles Davis, he's supposed to be quite important musically isn't he, I'm always looking for something new & interesting, I'll take the chance; b) great cover; c) interesting sleeve notes. Took it home, put in on, and just blown away: by the bluesiness of the title track, by the funkiness of the whole damn thing; and by the playing, Miles's trumpet, Marcus Miller's astounding bass, a couple of great guitarists in Mike Stern and John Scofield... Now, 30 years and 40+ Miles albums later, it still floats my boat. Magnificent music. (And for my next Miles purchase, I picked up the "Plugged Nickel" double LP set, and REALLY confused myself: but that's a different story...)

5.0 out of 5 stars traveling miles #5 "Star People" - new jazz blues he re-construced -, 21 Mar 2009
This review is from: Star People [VINYL] (Vinyl)
After Miles Davis had revived gallantly by "The Man with The Horn" and he had made a demonstration of live-performance by "We Want Miles",he has released "STAR PEOPLE" on 1983.
I think the purpose of his musical activety on the start of 1980's was getting his natural sound back and letting it fuse the contemporary music so reviving as the king of jazz.
Lonard Feather said "It gets better ,Miles could have been referring to his band,his playing,his health,or concievably just his life at large.Whatever the thought behind it,the title applies on every level to the conception and execution of Star People."
I wonder what the thought behind it is and what the meaning of Star People is. Of cause, I guess "Star People" means black people produced blues,soul,jazz, reggae...hip hop and every black music in the world@or hip star(composer) produced so many great black music. And I guess "Star" means "Star People" having the talent produced such wonderful and amazing music. So I think that Miles Davis says "We are the Star People!". Miles said "Wynton plays old european music by white people's adulation. Why doesn't he play the tune of black composer in America? Why does he make the chance for them?" in his autobiography.
Well,well, I think the taste of "Star People" is the taste of blues set with and the taste of lyric,melodious and beautiful mute play by Miles. But this blues were played jazzy,rocky,funky ,soulful and some blues is fast and some blues is slow. I can listen funk-rocky hot blues on 16 jazzy rock beat just like opening theme of new miles band by "Come Get It". By "It Get Better" I can enjoy soulful and funky slow blues with Jhon Scofield and I can listen funk-rocky blues on 8 rock beat by "Speak". On Bside "Star People" of title tune is put in and I can listen amazing,soulful long slow blues by Miles's mute play. He said " I think my solo is perfect in Star People." in his autobiography. I feel a long history of the soul of blues by this long blues. Next cute and pop "U 'n' I" is put in, the last tune is "Star on Cicely". This blue funky tune let me feel delicate and nervous image of miles for his wife. But Star on Cicely is happy and hot!
Finally,Miles didn't retern his blues but he create his new blues. He took back his natural taste of playing blues from 50's to 60's and he fused his natural taste of blues to what evoluved the accumulation of sounds he tried on 70's to contemporary jazz music so he re-constructed blues of "Star People".

5.0 out of 5 stars traveling miles#5 Star People" - new jazz blues that Miles re-constructed-, 10 May 2009
This review is from: Star People (Audio CD)
traveling miles#5:cduk #Star People" - new jazz blues that Miles re-constructed-
Lonard Feather said "It gets better ,Miles could have been referring to his band,his playing,his health or concievably just his life at large.Whatever the thought behind it,the title applies on every level to the conception and execution of Star People."
I wonder what the thought behind it is and what the meaning of Star People is. Of cause, I guess "Star People" means black people produced blues,soul,jazz, reggae...hip hop and every black music in the world or hip star,composer,produced so many great black music. And I guess "Star" means "Star People" having the talent produced such wonderful and amazing music. And all black people are the star people.So I think that Miles Davis says "We are the Star People!". Miles said "Wynton plays old european music by white people's adulation. Why doesn't he play the tune of black composer in America? Why does he make the chance for them?" in his autobiography.
Well,well, I think the taste of "Star People" is the taste of blues set with and the taste of lyric,melodious and beautiful mute play by Miles. But this blues were played jazzy,rocky,funky ,soulful and some blues is fast and some blues is slow. I can listen funk-rocky hot blues on 16 jazzy rock beat just like opening theme of new miles band by "Come Get It". By "It Get Better" I can enjoy soulful and funky slow blues with John Scofield and I can listen funk-rocky blues on 8 rock beat by "Speak". On Bside,though there is no B side of CD, "Star People" of title tune is put in and I can listen amazing,soulful long slow blues by Miles's mute play. He said " I think my solo is perfect in Star People." in his autobiography. I feel a long history of the soul of blues by this long blues. Next cute and pop "U 'n' I" is put in, the last tune is "Star on Cicely". This blue funky tune let me feel delicate and nervous image of miles for his wife. Though I want to think Star on Cicely is happy and hot!,nevertheless he seems nervous.
Finally,Miles didn't retern his blues but he created his new blues. He took back his natural taste of playing blues from 50's to 60's and he fused his natural taste of blues to what evoluved the accumulation of sounds he tried on 70's to contemporary jazz music so he re-constructed blues of "Star People".
One day I had listened the live of John Scofield at Roppongi in Japan. For me I had been happy to listen his splendid play of electrec guitar and to see the illusion of Miles in front of him. After live I asked him to write his signature on "Still Warm" I brought and said to him"But I'm still hot!". He was writing signature and said to me "Oh!You are still hot!" with smile. When I looked his signature,there was a letter of "Good Luck!" with his name.I named that wonderful night the night of John Sco.

ARRAY(0xaa0071b0)

Star People
Star People by Miles Davis (Audio CD - 1996)