1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly beautiful., 21 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Bach: Cantatas, Vol 2 (BWV 71, 131, 106) /Bach Collegium Japan Suzuki (Audio CD)
This is a breathtaking recording. Period instruments, very small vocal ensemble. Wonderfully clear diction by the Japanese singers. I am not a native German speaker, but I can understand every word of the cantata texts, which is a real joy and a rare occurence, even on recordings by European (German) ensembles. The solo performances are outstanding, in particular Mera's and Suzuki's, I think; they bring a real purity of sound which I love. A dignified and passionate ensemble sound with a palpable, sometimes throbbing, pulse. I think what I am most impressed by is the emotion and expressiveness and the real drama of the performances. One feels that these people must love this music. The recording of Aus der Tiefe brought me to tears, the first time and many times after that. Best recording of this music I have heard. I think the rest of the BCJ cantata series is almost equally fine; as a whole it is much better than all the alternatives. But this disc stands out above the rest.