5.0 out of 5 stars One of a Kind
Published on 22 Jun 2001 by Ornello

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a try
I think I will probably need several listens over a long-ish period of time to decide what I make of this. I find the first track a bit relentless at present and preferred the other, shorter ones. But it does have a certain magnetism that makes me think it's worth persisting. I could do without the stomping by the pianist, personally.
Published 20 months ago by Mr. Pj Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars One of a Kind, 22 Jun 2001
Ornello "Ornello" (Columbus, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Koln Concert (Audio CD)
I first heard this music in 1975 or so, at a friend's house. I bought the two-disc LP right away. The first five notes blew me away, with their utter simplicity. What Jarret builds up from them is absolutely astonishing. It's not "classical"; it's not "jazz"; it's not "fusion"; it's not "New Age". It's something so completely UNLIKE any other piano music that I have ever heard, that it transcends description. Its melodic structure plays on the outer edges of consciousness. It's as though you never heard a piano before. It's so unlike most piano music that one expects the author to be an alien from outer space.

Jarrett "plays" the piano on this recording with an intensity and originality that defies description.

BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS is real music!, 10 May 2007
This review is from: The Koln Concert (Audio CD)
One cannot express in words the beauty of this music. It is utterly raw, coming straight from the heart, a work of sheer genius. Whilst many pieces of so-called piano jazz easily lend themselves to the background of an occasion, the Koln Concert demands constant attention; with all of its changes in tempo, key, style and melody, the listener is enticed into the music, eagerly awaiting the next delicate keystrokes. Indeed, rather than being required to glean the often precious-few moments of brilliance from much music, with Keith Jarrett at the piano, the listener finds these instances thrust upon them every few seconds!

If you concentrate on the music for just a minute, you will find melodies which would ordinarily be the core of a piece, but which in this situation are simply played fleetingly, only to be replaced by yet another gorgeous tune.

I highly recommend this music to absolutely anyone; you do not have to be a jazz-lover to appreciate it! Even if you have never listened to this genre before (I am still unsure as to what "this genre" actually is!!), I sincerely appeal to you to give it a go! I promise you won't be disappointed!

If you do decide to purchase this album, and enjoy it anywhere near as much as I have, may I also recommend the Sun Bear Concerts, the Paris Concert, and Live at Carnegie Hall for more of the same! Jarrett has also played in a jazz trio, with Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette, and their music is also excellent. Other jazz pianists who I have found to have a similar touch include; Brad Mehldau, Bill Evans and Michael Wollny, although their music tends not to be improvised.

Happy listening!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keith Jarrett The Koln Concert, 9 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Koln Concert (Audio CD)
There is such beauty in the music on this CD that I struggle to find the words to do it justice. The flow of the music and the delicateness of touch exhibited must surely count among the classics of Jazz.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keith Jarrett: The Koln Concert, 6 Feb 2012
Ms A. C. Wright (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Koln Concert (Audio CD)
After hearing a radio programme on the events leading up to this concert - the timing of the event between operatic performances,the wrong piano tuned just before Jarrett arrived etc. although I do not usually by jazz (modern or trad.)I ordered the CD from Amazon straight away.

Sometimes one can be impressed by snatches of music used in a programme but dissapointed when one listens to the complete work but NOT in this case.

A brilliant, captivating performance lasting something over an hour. I have listened to it all through as if at the concert and with friends almost as background music - although it can be a conversation stopper as people become enthraled by the music.

A great,scintilating and timeless disc.The Koln Concert

5.0 out of 5 stars Piano-playing at its best, 20 April 2011
This review is from: The Koln Concert (Audio CD)
Many years since I fell in love with this, still has its magic touch. Almost classical in style but with the undercurrent of 20th Century modern jazz that carries you along on the beauty of good music of all types, Mozart or Jarrett. Every music-lover should have it in their collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant music..., 19 Jun 2005
M. van Kleef (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Koln Concert (Audio CD)
If you like contemporary melodious piano music with a laid-back and refreshingly inspirational flow, then I can thoroughly recommend the Koln concert. It's been with me for over 10 years now and I keep coming back to it - it hasn't dated, doesn't bore and it always lightens my mood when I play it. You need not be into Jazz (you might also want to look at Bill Evans) to enjoy this, and I'm less wowed by his other works, but the Koln music is sublime. Fortunately I can now selfishly carry it around with me as one of my iPod favourites.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 4 May 2014
This review is from: The Koln Concert (Audio CD)
It's not often that I'm lost for words, but this album has done it for me.
I learnt to play classical piano as a kid, and shortly after started improvising too, and that's probably why I love this concert.
Jarrett does things with this instrument that are both extraordinary and exquisite.
He fuses styles and genres with effortless ease, to create something truly unique.
Other soloists have come along since, and you can see echoes of his works in their creations.
And like all great musicians, he makes some complex themes sound disarmingly simple, if only...
I hope others new to his music give this one a go, and enjoy, well worth the time and investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those unique happenings, thankfully recorded for posterity., 1 May 2014
This review is from: The Koln Concert (Audio CD)
There are already so many reviews of this fantastic (literally) album that my contribution is really unnecessary. However this is such an amazing album that I felt that I needed to add support to the previous comments. On any grading system this deserves more than five stars. In some ways its sheer perfection make this beyond grade or criticism.

I have had a copy of this music for many years and find it so totally absorbing to listen too.

Because it is improvised music of such sensitivity and beauty it is incomparable. By some definitions, this is jazz, but it is truly beyond category. A concert of this quality is not just "once in a lifetime" it is a truly unique occasion.

I have other Keith Jarrett albums and none come close to this in quality.

Every lover of music, of whatever genre, should have a copy of this album. It should be given to every "Desert Island Discs" castaway along with the Bible. I'm taking my copy too! Then I'll have two copies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost hurts to listen to it, 2 April 2014
Rachel (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Koln Concert (Audio CD)
Gorgeous. That is all. Sixteen more words required? Okay - not for a dinner party, but perfect for a spot of reflection with a glass of wine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspired Performance, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Köln Concert (MP3 Download)
This music is far removed from my usual Folk/Rock interests but a truly inspired performance which seems to bridge Jazz / Classical boundaries

The Koln Concert
The Koln Concert by Keith Jarrett (Audio CD - 2008)