5.0 out of 5 stars One of a Kind
Published on 22 Jun. 2001 by Ornello

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a try
I think I will probably need several listens over a long-ish period of time to decide what I make of this. I find the first track a bit relentless at present and preferred the other, shorter ones. But it does have a certain magnetism that makes me think it's worth persisting. I could do without the stomping by the pianist, personally.
Published on 14 Dec. 2012 by Mr. Pj Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars One of a Kind, 22 Jun. 2001
This review is from: The Koln Concert (Audio CD)
I first heard this music in 1975 or so, at a friend's house. I bought the two-disc LP right away. The first five notes blew me away, with their utter simplicity. What Jarret builds up from them is absolutely astonishing. It's not "classical"; it's not "jazz"; it's not "fusion"; it's not "New Age". It's something so completely UNLIKE any other piano music that I have ever heard, that it transcends description. Its melodic structure plays on the outer edges of consciousness. It's as though you never heard a piano before. It's so unlike most piano music that one expects the author to be an alien from outer space.

Jarrett "plays" the piano on this recording with an intensity and originality that defies description.

BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS is real music!, 10 May 2007
This review is from: The Koln Concert (Audio CD)
One cannot express in words the beauty of this music. It is utterly raw, coming straight from the heart, a work of sheer genius. Whilst many pieces of so-called piano jazz easily lend themselves to the background of an occasion, the Koln Concert demands constant attention; with all of its changes in tempo, key, style and melody, the listener is enticed into the music, eagerly awaiting the next delicate keystrokes. Indeed, rather than being required to glean the often precious-few moments of brilliance from much music, with Keith Jarrett at the piano, the listener finds these instances thrust upon them every few seconds!

If you concentrate on the music for just a minute, you will find melodies which would ordinarily be the core of a piece, but which in this situation are simply played fleetingly, only to be replaced by yet another gorgeous tune.

I highly recommend this music to absolutely anyone; you do not have to be a jazz-lover to appreciate it! Even if you have never listened to this genre before (I am still unsure as to what "this genre" actually is!!), I sincerely appeal to you to give it a go! I promise you won't be disappointed!

If you do decide to purchase this album, and enjoy it anywhere near as much as I have, may I also recommend the Sun Bear Concerts, the Paris Concert, and Live at Carnegie Hall for more of the same! Jarrett has also played in a jazz trio, with Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette, and their music is also excellent. Other jazz pianists who I have found to have a similar touch include; Brad Mehldau, Bill Evans and Michael Wollny, although their music tends not to be improvised.

Happy listening!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those unique happenings, thankfully recorded for posterity., 1 May 2014
This review is from: The Koln Concert (Audio CD)
There are already so many reviews of this fantastic (literally) album that my contribution is really unnecessary. However this is such an amazing album that I felt that I needed to add support to the previous comments. On any grading system this deserves more than five stars. In some ways its sheer perfection make this beyond grade or criticism.

I have had a copy of this music for many years and find it so totally absorbing to listen too.

Because it is improvised music of such sensitivity and beauty it is incomparable. By some definitions, this is jazz, but it is truly beyond category. A concert of this quality is not just "once in a lifetime" it is a truly unique occasion.

I have other Keith Jarrett albums and none come close to this in quality.

Every lover of music, of whatever genre, should have a copy of this album. It should be given to every "Desert Island Discs" castaway along with the Bible. I'm taking my copy too! Then I'll have two copies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keith Jarrett: The Koln Concert, 6 Feb. 2012
Ms A. C. Wright (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Koln Concert (Audio CD)
After hearing a radio programme on the events leading up to this concert - the timing of the event between operatic performances,the wrong piano tuned just before Jarrett arrived etc. although I do not usually by jazz (modern or trad.)I ordered the CD from Amazon straight away.

Sometimes one can be impressed by snatches of music used in a programme but dissapointed when one listens to the complete work but NOT in this case.

A brilliant, captivating performance lasting something over an hour. I have listened to it all through as if at the concert and with friends almost as background music - although it can be a conversation stopper as people become enthraled by the music.

A great,scintilating and timeless disc.The Koln Concert

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 4 May 2014
This review is from: The Koln Concert (Audio CD)
It's not often that I'm lost for words, but this album has done it for me.
I learnt to play classical piano as a kid, and shortly after started improvising too, and that's probably why I love this concert.
Jarrett does things with this instrument that are both extraordinary and exquisite.
He fuses styles and genres with effortless ease, to create something truly unique.
Other soloists have come along since, and you can see echoes of his works in their creations.
And like all great musicians, he makes some complex themes sound disarmingly simple, if only...
I hope others new to his music give this one a go, and enjoy, well worth the time and investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utter Beauty, 5 Oct. 2011
A. C. White "leaag man" (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Koln Concert (Audio CD)
I'm seldom given to hyperbole but this is truly the most beautiful music I've ever heard. The first movement left me breathless with admiration, the last almost moved me to tears. Yet oddly I came across it through an article by Mel Nichols, in a classic car magazine. He used the Concert to describe his emotions driving a carefully honed sports car in a way that made the music and drive come to life. Mel is always a good writer, but the poetry in this small column, was magical.

This is how his story about the drive began..
' Keith Jarrett is a pianist. One of his best albums is called the Koln Concert. There's just him, alone on stage. He begins playing, building his melody from a few notes. They are sweet, enchanting. He starts to move along expanding into one riff and then another, all linked, and all built up from those first few notes. And what notes they are! Clear and ringing, each pregnant with beauty. And his timing! He climbs, almost tentatively, almost feeling his way, and then, after the merest and most perfect hesitation, tumbles into long exquisite runs. He goes on building and building until, about halfway through the first side of the first record, everything that has gone before is coordinated into music of such pendulum-rhythm, of such melody and delicacy and yet such decisiveness and control, that its beauty engulfs you. And the flow of it is such, as it sweeps you along that- like Jarrett himself-you have to cry out for joy.

And that's how it was, in the Kremer Porsche. In a series of bends, on a quiet afternoon, somewhere deep in Somerset.'

So thanks Mel for introducing me to this album, and for the poetry of your writing, and thanks to the editor of Classic and Sportscar for having the sensitivity to publish it.

I'd recommend this music to anyone knowing that they won't be disappointed. Its utterly stunning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Piano-playing at its best, 20 April 2011
This review is from: The Koln Concert (Audio CD)
Many years since I fell in love with this, still has its magic touch. Almost classical in style but with the undercurrent of 20th Century modern jazz that carries you along on the beauty of good music of all types, Mozart or Jarrett. Every music-lover should have it in their collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keith Jarrett The Koln Concert, 9 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Koln Concert (Audio CD)
There is such beauty in the music on this CD that I struggle to find the words to do it justice. The flow of the music and the delicateness of touch exhibited must surely count among the classics of Jazz.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Koln Concert - Keith Jarrett - utter inimitable genius, 31 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Koln Concert (Audio CD)
A friend of mine BEGGED me to listen to this! Give it a chance he said, be patient, let it grow on you! Never have I been so thankful for that advice. This isn't just 'good' or even exceptional - it's the piano at it's best - in every sense. How a man can start playing a simple but delightful introduction and take it to such emotive crescendo then back - again and again is truly astonishing. Totally improvised, inimitable and never yet beaten. It is a journey through beauty, emotion and pleasure. The piano really is an extension of this man's soul. What would any of us give to be able to play like this? Not just the dexterity but the ability to talk, think, feel and express emotion through the piano - then share it unconditionally. Don't miss this one, please don't miss this one! Truly, truly wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once a generation, a great pianist rises up., 18 Dec. 2009
This review is from: The Koln Concert (Audio CD)
Stressed? Just put this CD in your player and sit back. Keith Jarrett is one of the all-time talented jazz pianists who apparently has no difficulty conveying his natural skill to the listener. The colours and moods conveyed here are uplifting. And all recorded nearly 35 years ago! If you enjoy his music, be sure to listen to "The Melody at Night, With You", recorded at his home whilst recovering from illness. Many standard tunes given his own inimitable style.

The Koln Concert
The Koln Concert by Keith Jarrett (Audio CD - 2008)