Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 September 2003
What can i say - with songs like 'I am what i am' - imortalised by Gloria Gaynor this is high quality entertainment. Based on a French film by Jean Poiret, La Cage Aux Folles tells the story of Albin and Georges, two middle-aged gay men who run a transvestite nightclub in St. Tropez. The main story is about what happens when Georges son Jean-Michel announces that he is getting married to ... a woman, Anne! And not only a woman, but the daughter of a local homophobic morals crusader who has already tried to close down the before mentioned night club!Anne's parents want to come and meet Jean-Michel's mother and father. Little do they know that Albin, a man, has essentially been Jean-Michel's mother figure his whole life. Jean-Michel wants to keep Albin away from Annes parents but Albin is hurt and insists on making an appearance.
Even though La Cage was Broadway's first homosexual musical, it was nevertheless a mainstream production. It features wonderfull performances from George Hearn and Gene Barry. The show has proved to be a great hit. Give it a listen and judge for yourself! You wont be dissapointed!
on 12 January 2008
Having seen a pro-am production of this show I can say that it is fantastic.I have seen it three times,and at each performance there has been a standing ovation. The musical numbers are wonderful. Take a listen and judge for yourself.
on 3 March 2009
Good music. Suggested that if I bought La Cage aux Folles that I should buy this also (by Amazon). So I did, and it was good. Unfortunately one cannot see it as it is no longer running in London.
on 21 February 2010
If you saw the original 1980's film with Tognazzi and Michel Serrault (who also played the same part in the Parisian Theatre original by Jean Poiret in the 1970's) you cannot fail to note the similarity of the French Farce with this Musical.

I have however so enjoyed Michel Galabru playing the Deputy and Secretary of the Parti de l'Ordre Moral coming acropper over the death of the Party President who had died in the arms of a prostitute, a minor and "de couleur"...and being pursued by all manner of media hounds baying for his discomfort as the representative of the a Moral Bastion of Virtue of his party... and falling into the hands of the patrons of la Boite (Cage aux folles), wth Morricone's thrilling music, that it is more dissappointing as a representation of the original. I find by contrast the american and english musical versions not less exciting, just less French!
on 3 August 2009
I first saw this show in the 80's and now I want to go again. I play the C.D. in my car with the volume turned up as loud as it will go and with me singing along(badly) to every number. Such fabulous songs. I love them all.
on 3 April 2011
I brought this CD for my mum's birthday last year, and we both LOVE IT! We saw the westend musical the year before and it ended up being John Bahaman's last performance that year so it was AMAZING! We listen to it regularly but I do wish it was a bit louder as we have to turn the volume up really loud!
on 18 August 2011
The Music is Great but I really wanted a DVD of the actual film. I have the non musical also the french version and have seen the stage production. Brilliant funny sad wonderfully sensitive. any info on DVDS?
on 1 March 2013
Got this for a work colleague who saw the show and had this on vinyl, he was really impressed as he didn't realise it was available on CD and says the sound is much better than his original LP.
on 7 January 2010
I purchased this for friends and they love it as I do, I bought it when it was first released. I saw George in the original show at the London Palladium, never to be forgotten. A Winner.
on 21 October 2013
Fine performances give panache to a cleverly crafted farce. The story, despite its comical aspects, touches on much truth for emotional aspects of life while supplying politcal critique.