5.0 out of 5 stars Knockout Piano Playing, 18 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Solo Concerts: Bremen and Lausanne (Audio CD)
These two solo concerts demonstrate Jarrett at his best - it is an incredible mix of blues, gospel, abstract, and extreme romantacism. The sheer range of styles covered is astonishing, as is the musical imagination. If you're going to get one piano recording this year, get this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, 22 Sep 2010
This review is from: Solo Concerts: Bremen and Lausanne (Audio CD)
Having read the review written by "Paracelsus1966" above (now below due to number of votes) I was moved to recount a small part of my experience with this wonderful music. After buying the 3LP box set I recorded it on to a cassette.

In the early 1970's I had a summer job at a café located in an historic park within an old court yard and its buildings. There were outside tables in the court yard. On Sunday mornings the café would be quiet and I would play "Lausanne March 20th 1973" and other pieces of music, it washing over the courtyard. Keith's solo piano music nearly always drew comments from customers who had sat in the court yard reading Sunday papers or books. It was a wonderfully relaxing place to take refreshments. It got to the point where people would come regularly on Sunday mornings for refreshments and specifically ask to hear the final passage from the Lausanne concert. The last 22 minutes of this work is truly beautiful. On some occasions once the piece had finished the courtyard would empty.

I recall the pleasure I got from knowing how much these strangers were enjoying the music which I loved so much and am still moved by today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 July 2005
Paracelsus1966 (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solo Concerts: Bremen and Lausanne (Audio CD)
If anyone asked me why I love Keith, I would play them the last 15 minutes of the Lausanne Concert. This music means more to me than almost anything else he's recorded, and is one of the most moving and beautiful things I have ever heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is it., 29 Jun 2013
P. J. Bullough "70's child." (Shrewsbury, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solo Concerts: Bremen and Lausanne (Audio CD)
This knocks 'Koln' out of the ball park, it really does. It's Keith's greatest recording by a good country mile. There is rich magic here, and both concerts have a wonderful 'shape'. I used to listen more to 'Bremen', which is totally inspired from beginning to end, but recently I've been listening more to 'Lausanne'. I hadn't fully appreciated it before, probably because I was so mesmerised by'Bremen'. 'Lausanne' starts with a gentle melancholy, similar to the predominant mood of the 'Kyoto' concert, but it then takes off in a variety of directions, all of them brilliant and compelling. There's a hair-raising fast section which really rocks, and it's difficult to see how he could improvise at this level at such a speed. And finally he takes us on a journey to the shores of Elysium in the last twenty minutes. I can't think of any of his other live recordings that comes close to this, although they are all worth investing in. Keith was like a lonely warrior of the soul in his late twenties, an extraordinary cultural phenomenon. Buy this and treasure it for the rest of your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars The spark ..., 8 Mar 2010
This review is from: Solo Concerts: Bremen and Lausanne (Audio CD)
This was my first introduction to Keith Jarrett about 25 years ago, when a friend lent me the LPs - I loved it and moved on to buy Arbour Zena, which is also worth 5 stars. I now have a stack of KJ CDs and I had to get Bremen/Lausanne to join them. It should really have the critical acclaim given to the Köln Concert and others.

Solo Concerts: Bremen and Lausanne
Solo Concerts: Bremen and Lausanne by Keith Jarrett (Audio CD - 1986)