5.0 out of 5 stars Back to school for TITANIC fans..., 26 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Star Trek 2 - Ost (Audio CD)
Fifteen years before the TITANIC score, a young James Horner produced one of the finest orchestral film scores ever recorded. Fitting seamlessly into director Nicholas Meyer's radical "Horatio Hornblower" re-invention of the ageing STAR TREK mythos, Horner's swashbuckling, romantic score announced his arrival as a major movie composer.
There are distinctly Russian influences in many of the melodies, not least the glorious main theme - but even better than the thematic arrangements are the tight and punchy action sequences, complimenting the choreographed special effects to produce some near-balletic cinematic sequences.
Much of Horner's later work (most noticeably ALIENS, COCOON, KRULL and ROCKETEER) is shamelessly lifted from this score, so there's plenty of familiarity here, even if you haven't seen THE WRATH OF KHAN. What you won't find are any of the more recent Horner signatures, like ethereal female vocals or celtic folk tunes. Oh, and Celine Dion is nowhere to be heard. Vintage Horner is so much better without them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A short review of the best piece of music in Star Trek., 21 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Star Trek 2 - Ost (Audio CD)
This soundtrack contains the best music of the Star Trek movies. The music of star trek is most remebered as Jerry Goldsmiths work however for the second movie James Horner did the honours. His mastery of the orchestra is unsurpassed and he sends a shiver up the spine of the audience during each piece of soundtrack. This soundtrack is a must buy for all Star Trek fans old and new, it has the ferocity of a borg attack and the mellowing quality of Risa.....

5.0 out of 5 stars A majestic score from the best start trek film, 1 Feb. 2003
This review is from: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Audio CD)
Even though I'm not a trekkie I love this film a lot - and a big part of that is how the music fits in so perfectly well with the film. James Horner has really excelled himself from the majestic (Main Title), the sad (Spock), the freaky (Khans Pets), and the thundering Genesis Countdown. There are a few recurring themes - each one is not overused and has the right amount of variation.
Probably the only quibble I have with it s that Spocks lament should follow directly on after the Genesis Countdown in the running order creating a bit of a 'jump'.
Brings back the excitement of the film itself, unlike many other soundtracks (eg Batman) where the main theme is memorable and the rest can be forgotten.

4.0 out of 5 stars Epic soundtrack - but a little short in length., 24 Jan. 2015
I'm a massive fan of OSTs, and it was the soundtrack from this movie, Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan, that got me into them. It made me realise the importance of the soundtrack in adding atmosphere to movies - often making the difference between a "good" and "brilliant" film.

I'm not reviewing the movie here, though I did love it and, like many, I feel it was the best of the Star Trek motion pictures. But what's relevant to this review is that the music was so well done, it captured the emotions of each scene perfectly: the pride while "Enterprise Clears Moorings", the almost cheeky brilliance of "Kirk's Explosive Reply", the excitement of "Battle In The Mutara Nebula", and the suspense of "Genesis Countdown"... which after hitting its peak, winds down of course toward an even more emotional scene. It's a truly epic soundtrack.

This drops a star only because I find it disappointingly short at a running time of just 45 minutes. A tough decision even so, because the music really is so good. I read that there's an extended version out there somewhere, and if so I reserve the full marks for that (I can't find it here on Amazon). But if you're OK with a shorter running time, this remains undoubtedly a 5-star soundtrack.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Trek soundtrack EVER!!, 23 Sept. 2014
I have been searching for this soundtrack for many years and there have been many times where it could have cost me £20 upwards but I held out in the hope of picking it up cheap one happy day, and Amazon downloads did me proud and offered it for just over £6 and sent it straight to my Kindle on the very night I found it for sale.

I watched the original series from the cradle, and I remember seeing TMP in 1979 when I was roughly 5 years old. And I have to say it made not a blind bit of sense, but Kirk and the crew were back! The comics were everywhere, the pop up book arrived, the cerial boxes had the give away cut out ships and was I proud of my new cut out Enterprise from a Weetabix pack! The film was a general disappointment and a flop, but it gave us some important foundations for a future of Trek that looked quite shaky after TMP bombed. It gave us a look Enterprise, possibly the best starship design in history, it reunited the original cast, it gave us the fans a new adventure that left us craving for more,

The sequel that followed was created at a fraction of the cost, filmed with TV studio equipment, had an umtried director and the musical score was also being created by a relatively unknown James Horner. It was a total turn around from TMP, an incredible success that saw the return of one of Kirks arch enemies from the first season of ST, Khan Noonian Singh, genetic super man and source of evil doings where ever he went. FX scenes were reused from TMP, the original filming prop was dug out for new shots and the all new USS Reliant made history as probably the most famous non Enterprise starship in Trek movie history.

The story was a simple tale of life and death, revenge, endings and new beginings, and wonderfully written and scripted. The cast in the TMP seemed to be to one dimensional and wooden, not the bunch of friendly, human and friendly characters we had grew up with in the series, thankfully the cast seem much more at home here in this movie, interacting well with each other and even the fact the Chekov is present in the movie but spends at least half of the movie away from the Enterprise crew, you still get the sense that the cast have reunited again in a more relaxed way.

The biggest attraction in the movie is it's soundtrack, probably the best soundtrack to ever be hitched onto a Trek movie. Aspects of the soundtrack were so good that they were used again in the third movie. It is typical Horner, character themes, music carrying you through the action sequences with music that mirrors charcaters emotions changes and thought processess. Horner writes music scores in the way that most writers do, they take their ques from the movie itself, they write each note around the visual events, and no other movie soundtrack does it better than this one.

Whilst listening, If like me, you know the film pretty much word for word, it is near impossible not to play the relevant scene's in your mind, quote the lines and play whole chunks of the movie back in your mind as you listen. The movie strangely makes a lot more sense if you listen to the stand alone soundtrack. The initial attack of Khan and Kirks last ditch attempt to save his ship and crew is an example of this. The quiet and contemplative score that builds in tension from a mild air or tension as the Reliant closes on Enterprise, the musical theme of Khan's building maniacal vengence as he closes in then gives way to Kirks tension as he attempts to solve the problem in hand but then it's too late, the music rises full force with a combination of anger and power on Khan's order to "FIRE!" The Enterprise is hit, Kirk reeles, disorientated. He has to think fast and we see the germ of a plan take root and flurish, then build with the calm of the score steadily rising in tempo and tension, the clock ticks away as Khan's ultimatum is reached, Kirk plays the plan out and we have a reverse of the original musical flow, except instead of the maniacal, wild jumble of Khan's anger, we have a clean graceful theme that see's Kirk's outwit the Evil genius and deliver an equally hard blow to Reliant.

We have a piece of music that represents Spocks very essence, a calm, gentle and almost magical piece that sums up Spocks inner piece, gentle mature, wisdom and intelligence, It's woth the price just for this small piece of music. There is the spooky and sinister score from Chekov and Terrill's capture and subsequent torture and the sublime grandure and beauty of the Genesis Planet theme which and awe inspiring composition.

Best of all for me, you get to here Spock himself recite the legendary words that are heard at the end of the movie incoperated into the music as in the film. I shall leave you with those words and this little bit of advice. If you are a fan of trek, then buy this music, you will never regret it!

"There are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise. Her ongoing mission to seek out new life and new Civilisations. To boldly go where no one has gone before"

5.0 out of 5 stars Horner at his masterful best., 23 Feb. 2006
S. Morris (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Audio CD)
Simply put, this is James Horner’s finest movie score ever!
If you're thinking of purchasing this CD, then you're more than likely to be a fan of the film and as such you will be able to connect each track on the CD with its place in the movie. Horner has a talent unsurpassed for writing motion picture soundtracks which perfectly match the mood, pace and emotion of the scenes where they're used.
For example, the powerful "Surprise Attack" will evoke mental imagery of the scenes being scored. Horner's use of sudden and dramatic changes from quiet to powerful percussive passages are used masterfully to punctuate the action perfectly matching the pace, mood and emotion of a given scene.
Horner's ebullient use of the horn section really creates inspiring passages with beautiful crescendos with a sense of majesty often being part of the mix.
To sum up, I cannot use too many superlatives when describing a James Horner soundtrack and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan surely must rank as one of his finest works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome soundtrack, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Audio CD)
The movie versions of Star Trek were boosted with the music of James Horner.

Jerry Goldsmith did a fantastic score for Star Trek The Motion Picture, but James Horner picked up where he left off and created one of my favourite soundtracks.

If you are a fan of the series and love listening to film music, then this is a must in your collection.

Star Trek II is a fabulous film score.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just the best Star Trek soundtrack ever, but one of the best cinematic soundtracks ever.....period!, 8 Aug. 2012
IOWBOY - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Audio CD)
I have loved 'Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan' since childhood, it was the first film of the series I saw, and for that reason alone I have always had a soft spot for it; I was only seven years old on it's initial release so never got to enjoy it on the big screen, but I do remember seeing it on VHS not too long after, I remember my Uncle somehow got hold of a copy and we played it in his top loading video recorder that was the size of a small fridge (or so it it at least now seems looking back!).

I was a fan of Star Trek from a pretty young age, and I have always loved the adventures of Kirk and Co. in particular. I now have all the subsequent spin-offs, and they have provided me with countless hours of enjoyment; the films themselves have been purchased first on VHS, then DVD and now Blu Ray and have been watched quite literally hundreds of times (even 'The Motion Picture' and 'The Final Frontier'!). Arguments will always be had as to which one is the best, and I guess alot of it is down to personal taste, for me my favorites (and most watched) have always been 'Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan' and 'Star Trek: First Contact'; I love the action sequences and felt these films offered the grittiest and most realistic vison of the Star Trek Universe.

Interestingly enough these two films, and in particular 'The Wrath of Khan' have had some of my favourite musical moments.

The soundtrack to 'Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan' was composed and conducted by James Horner and in my opinion it remains his finest moment, this is quite something to say for the man whose formidable body of work since has included such classics as 'Titanic' and 'Braveheart'; but it is impossible to listen to those modern classics and not hear the influences from his original Star Trek score.

This is the most rousing of soundtracks, and the intention of director Nicholas Meyer to make the film, and in particular the space battle scenes, have a feel of films about old sea battles has been perfectly captured by James Horner; the nebula scenes are still as exciting to watch now as they ever were, but they are what they are because of the wonderful soundtrack.

As with other Star Trek soundtracks there is more than one edition available, it has more tracks and a longer running time but you do pay for it! I have found that version to be considerably more than I paid for this CD, that version has a running time of just over seventy-five minutes this one forty-five, consisting of nine tracks. Ok, this version has some content missing, the other version is 'complete', so you need to ask yourself the question is it worth it to you or not? For me this version is sufficient, yes if I'm being honest I would prefer the longer version, but all the best material from the score is included in this version anyway(in my opinion).

I bought this soundtrack primarily as a completist, I have managed to collect all the other soundtracks over the past few years; it is ironic though that after all I have said above, I have managed to leave my favorite soundtrack in the series to last!

Overall I'm very pleased with this purchase, it's stirring stuff, fascinating to hear how it influenced future scores, excellent audio quality considering it is now thirty years old (!), and I obtained it at a most reasonable price........at last!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but shouldn't have engine noise, 25 May 2009
G. M. Phillips "goldhart" (In a deep dark cave) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Audio CD)
This is perhaps my favourite of all the Star Trek movie scores. There is a problem though, and that's the frequent addition of annoying engine noise to some of the tracks. Why on Earth was this added - it makes it difficult to enjoy, especially on headphones?

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 25 May 2015
This review is from: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Audio CD)
music from the film is good but far to short could have been longer.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan by James Horner (Audio CD - 2003)