4.0 out of 5 stars Like a Hurricane, 5 Feb. 2015
Mr C (Gainsborough, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The First Chapter (MP3 Download)
I bought this purely for nostalgias sake. My interest was sparked by buying The Brightest light. It brings back the comedy element missed oh so missed by the oh so serious late 80s goths. Which always amused me as these bands were more rock than Goth such as Specimen, Love n Rockets, Alien Sex Fiend & other Batcave faves. Every time I listen to this I remember Craig with horns & Trident spearing their Lobster (named Themidor) in a Leeds park. Highly recommend this if you are not too familiar of the times of the acrimonious split from Sisters of Mercy & the battle to release tracks first. Garden of Delight and a few others being Wayne's input to the Sisters but Mr Eldritch couldn't see their merits through the snow on the mixing desk. The chart success proved Wayne correct but the Sisters of Mercy remained a cult status and to this day can fill arenas. Forget about all that, listen to Wayne's under-rated guitar playing blend with Simon' melodies. They maybe Marmite, love or hate, think I'm starting to love again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure goth rock at it's mystical best, 11 Feb. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The First Chapter (Audio CD)
Serpent's Kiss is a classic. Other highlights include Like a Hurricane, The Chrystal Ocean and Naked and Savage. The 1st Mish album is raw and dark. Great live band now back together. If you like this buy Aura their new album.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mission - The First Chapter, 27 Mar. 2005
Steven T. Jarvis "Skarekrow" (Thanet, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The First Chapter (Audio CD)
In every respect, this is an awesome album. The acoustic guitar that gently leads us into that lyrically unsurpassed masterpiece "Like A Hurricane" swing us and twist us and give love purpose, no matter how hopeless it may appear, as we are carried fantastically by the newly formed guitar combination of Wayne Hussey and Simon Hinlker, supported by Craig Adams' resonant base. Over The Hill And Far Away And Naked Savage, lift us gently and fill our every fibre with the passion of life as they prepare us for Serpents Kiss, the ultimate Mission classic, and Dancing Barefoot. But what could possibly prepare us for Wake? This is The Mission and their darkest, their most sublime. This is love and death and the tragedy of life, poetically brilliant, musically haunting, this is, indeed, God's Own Medicine. And yet, as if Wake was not enough to lift the soul to a new plateau, the reprise of Like A Hurricane (Extended), reminds us that in life, love and music, there is only the moment... That moment is now!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, 22 Jan. 2015
Great Album :)

The First Chapter
The First Chapter by The Mission (UK) (Audio CD - 1990)