5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite of all the Joan Baez compilations, 26 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Greatest Hits and Others (Audio CD)
I first discovered this compilation on vinyl, and played it to death! My favourites are the haunting "Dangling Conversation" and "I Pity The Poor Immigrant". Joan's deep gravelly voice is exhibited to perfection in this selection of songs. I was ecstatic when I discovered the CD version

4.0 out of 5 stars Living in the past, 20 Sep 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Greatest Hits and Others (Audio CD)
I'm currently going through my old vinyl albums to see which ones are worth updating. As 'The night they drove old Dixie down' by Joan Baez is one of my all time favourites this one qualifies. Having said that, she can get a bit boring on some tracks and drone on a bit. Still well worth it to pick and choose if you edit the tracks you play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent Collection, 28 Nov 2002
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Greatest Hits and Others (Audio CD)
This was my first Joan Baez album and I still love it. Dating from the 70's, it's more pop than folk, with a varied selection of material. Besides her greatest hit (The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down), my personal favourites include the wistful There But For Fortune, the poetic Brand New Tennessee Waltz ("Well I left Tennessee in a hurry dear/The same way that I'm leaving you/But love is mainly just memories/And everyone's got him a few/When I'm gone I'll be glad to love you") and the bittersweet Love Is Just A Four Letter Word. Folk purists and fans of her early work might not appreciate it, but I enjoy all her different styles and directions. Every one of these songs is appealing and very well interpreted. Another recommended album is The Best Of Joan C. Baez, for similar post-folk material.

Greatest Hits and Others
Greatest Hits and Others by Joan Baez (Audio CD - 1996)