4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and outstandning!, 30 May 2009
This review is from: Thinking of Woody Guthrie (Audio CD)
Heard this album (vinyl) long time ago and loved it from the beginning. But I never did bought it at that time which I did regret. Was very glad when I found available on CD.

I think this is a very good example of the genius that Woody Guthrie was, here by an very interesting artist, Country Joe McDonald. If you already love Woody Guthrie and his songs, buy it! If you never heard of Woody Guthrie, buy it and listen to the great songs...

5.0 out of 5 stars Down the old plank road, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: Thinking of Woody Guthrie (Audio CD)
10 of the most familiar Guthrie songs recorded in Nashville with top session men like Grady Martin this may be the first actual tribute to the man who inspired Bob Dylan who had written an earlier song called Tribute to Woody Guthrie on his first album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Country, hippy bliss, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Thinking of Woody Guthrie (Audio CD)
As a young teen in the 60's I adored Country Joe and the Fish and I bought this on vinyl because of that. Well, how surprised was I that I already knew some of the songs written by the great Woody Guthrie and thus my musical education was broadened further. I like CJ's interpretation although you do have to listen to Guthrie singing these songs, written about the Depression and its effects 'specially when many in society are still experiencing injustice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Country Joe - Thinking of Woody Guthrie, 18 May 2010
Osprey (Aarhus, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thinking of Woody Guthrie (Audio CD)
Thinking of Woody Guthrie! - I was very happy, when I found this cd on Amazon - This is quite another Country Joe McDonald compared to his earlier music
It's Country, it's Bluegrass, it's a Delight!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Woody Guthrie tribute, 29 May 2011
John Nicholls (Abingdon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thinking of Woody Guthrie (Audio CD)
I've been a Country Joe fan since the early Fish albums. When this was released, I had little knowledge of Woody Guthrie, and didn't know what to expect. I was blown away, and since then this has remained my favourite Country Joe Album. Great songs, beautifully performed. I was fortunate to see CJ live (solo) in 1970. Here, he's supported by a brilliant band. Great country/bluegrass playing - played straight, but always fresh and interesting. I will never tire of listening to music of this quality and sincerity. Highly recommended.

Thinking of Woody Guthrie
Thinking of Woody Guthrie by Country Joe McDonald (Audio CD - 1997)