Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 January 2005
I am always searching for the perfect album, the album which is totally faultless, which can be listened to over and over again, where there is not a single track you would even consider skipping, not a moment which drags a little, not one second which it could have done without. Finally, I have found one of these albums. Pink Moon is beautiful, bleak, uplifting, haunting, playful, atmospheric all at the same time. It's short at just under 30 minutes, but that seems just the right length for this album. Nick Drake is one of the most skilled virtuoso guitar players I have ever heard, at times its difficult to believe that there isn't a whole band playing, let alone just one man and his guitar. And not only that, his voice is just about the most perfect I have heard - delicate, honest and up front - almost sounds as if he's singing in your room. The lyrics are fascinating and, if you take the effort, add an extra dimension to the album. He sounds like a man who has finally found an inner piece after much turmoil. He sings of innocence, choice, identity, nature, suicude but the overriding feeling I get from this album is certainly not of a man crying out for help, but a very sensitive man who has finally accepted a few truths about life (read the superb lyrics to 'Road'). He seems tired and almost numb after the years of depression. "know that I love you, know that I don't care".
The most brilliant aspect of Nick Drake's music though is of course the songwriting - often relatively simple, often totally unique, always brilliant. Dont expect his music to come immediately - it takes a few listens to appreciate the melodies.
A perfect album. Not just 5/5 but 100/100.
Get this one first, then get Five Leaves Left and Bryter Layter, which are both near perfection too.
22 comments|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 May 2013
Didn't want to fork out for the big box version just wanted a copy of the vinyl as never bought it first time round so found it from an Amazon seller for £16!

Arrived today, 180g vinyl, original palm tree Island label and good card inner sleeve with a photo of an authentic blue Island inner bag on each side.

There was NO VOUCHER for an MP3 download as advertised? Was I unlucky or is it not included in this version?

The sleeve is very well made and a facsimile of the original gatefold with mercifully no attempt made to make it look 41 years old!

Now this may be IMPORTANT to some. This vinyl is PRESSED IN THE USA, it is NOT pressed in Germany which the vinyl in the Big Box Edition is? Please someone who bought that version comment was it pressed in Germany?

This was a subject of debate on various forums as the German pressing is deemed superior and people were worried the quality would be reduced if pressed in USA, Gabrielle Drake said it would be exactly the same pressing but it seems not!?

The pressings not bad, some dimples and the arm of the deck goes right and left as the record plays so can't be quite concentric. I compared it with a 1972 Island pressing I borrowed and it sounded about the same to my ears anyway, I know its subjective.

I can only wonder if the German pressing is better, however I'm happy with my purchase for £16 of a beautiful classic Nick Drake Album without all the superfluous, to me, bits of paper, posters and 35mm of precious shelf space taken up and shall order the Vinyl of Bryter Layter released 10 June without the expensive big box (pressed in the USA?) and then Five Leaves Left. Nick Drake was and still is a genius.

To reiterate though there is no MP3 download and its the pressed in USA version!
on 16 September 2003
The year was 1989. I was in the house of a friend who said "have a listen to this". The next twenty nine minutes we sat in total silence listening to a an absolute musical masterpiece. The music is so deep and yet so beautiful. His voice and guitar playing will hold you spellbound and mesmerised. You will want to hear this again and again and again. The world is a sadder place without one Nick Drake. Buy it . It will be the best cash you've ever spent.
on 18 October 2003
This was Drake's third and last album and sees him at his most raw. At the time of recording it, he was going through the severe depression which would eventually lead to his tragic demise. During his recording sessions for Pink Moon he simply sat facing the wall with his back to everyone else, concentrating on his wondrous guitar playing and singing.
Drake used lots of different tunings for his acoustic guitar, which lends his songs a darker vibe than more conventional tunings. His voice croons over the guitar in a gentle, soft whisper which is tremendously comforting rather than depressing.
The guitar playing is awesome, and so raw - you can actually hear the sound his fingers make as they dance over the strings. There is no orchestration to speak of, which may disappoint fans of Drake's previous albums, but in my opinion this is the way Nick intended it - a glimpse of his soul, uncovered.
For anyone who has not yet heard Nick Drake, I would recommend Five Leaves Left as the best place to start, as it has a small amount of orchestration to complement the guitar picking and vocals. Bryter Layter, for me, is a little too layered, lush and upbeat, taking on a more country-esque feel. Five Leaves Left and Pink Moon are more folky and dark.
All in all, anyone who has ever loved masterful acoustic guitar playing and deeply sensitive songwriting would be mad to miss out on any of Nick's work, but Pink Moon is perhaps the best bet for fans of contemporary singer songwriters as it sounds so incredibly timeless.
on 30 January 2001
I suppose it's easy to get all reverential about Nick Drake what with his archetypal early demise etc etc. I don't really believe in all that after the event myth-making. Whatever happened was a private tragedy suffered by the individual, their family, and their friends, and should be left as such. What we are left with, though, is the music. Pink Moon is a brilliant album. I didn't think I'd be as into it as Bryter Layter and Five Leaves Left, because one of the things I loved about those albums was their orchestration. But you get the feeling after listening to Pink Moon that its a kind of masterpiece. The songs are so strong and distinctive, and so expressive, which I didn't expect. I thought they'd just be too paired down for me. They're not because they're the work of a hugely talented songwriter. This is a beautifull album. One of the best I've ever heard. The last song is maybe the most beautiful and positive songs I ever heard. You should think about definately buying this album.
on 21 September 2006
....infact buy two copies, so you can wear one around your neck.

I dont usually write reviews for things, but this album DEFINITELY deserves it. I have both of Nicks earlier works also, and i have to say, however good they are, this tops them. no contest. half an hour of nick and his guitar, which does seem to go too quickly, a shame for sure, but i once heard that a poem with only 3 good lines, should only be 3 lines long. and this album IS perfect.

The tracks all seem as though they could melt into one, and the simplest riffs on here make for the most interesting songs, thanks to nicks ability to create the perfect melody. Whereas before he would do this with orchestral arrangements, on this album the melody is of his voice, and the continual drone of his 6 strings .

Please buy this album, more people should be aware of how good the guy really was, the music and melody within need to be shared with the world, they truely are amazing.

A definite good place to start for people unaware of nicks music and style.
on 11 August 2002
I was looking for a deep relaxing guitar and voice artist, after much wasted money, a friend told me to try Nick's music. I bought Pink Moon first, immediately I was astounded! His sensitive and perplexing style is so intimate and wonderful, I love it! I'd put Five Leaves as an equal to Pink Moon, however Bryter Layter is a class down but still very good. I just wish he was still here!
Just a quick message, to the people out there, that have not heard any of the THREE Classic albums, FIVE LEAVES LEFT - BRYTER LAYTER and of course this one. These albums contain some of the most beautiful and heartfelt songs ever committed to vinyl. Made even stronger by the fact that Nick was painfully shy and certainly within his terribly short lifetime, did not get the recognition he richly deserved. Thanks, in part, to the marvellous Laura Marling and her many other contemporaries, the resurgence in "Nu Folk Music" has insured that his music is living and breathing again, and we can bask again in the deep water's of Nick's sublime music. ESSENTIAL FOR LOVER'S OF BEAUTIFULLY CRAFTED MUSIC.
on 9 July 2013
The Box Set version of this release is awesome. The sound of this album is unbelievable. I have owned original U.K. 1st pressings of all 3 of Nicks studio albums and I must say, this sounds as good , if not better than those 1st presses , which is saying a lot because the 1st presses sound great. I also own the Japanese pressing of this on thick ass vinyl, and I think the box set vinyl blows that one out of the water. At the time of writing this review, I have also purchased the Bryter Layter box set. I've got nothing but praise for the Bryter Layter box set. I have also Pre-Ordered the Five Leaves Left box set and I'm glad I did because this isn't due to be released for a couple more weeks and the price has already gone up by 9 pounds but I get it for 20 pounds. Not Bad.... Highly recommended...
Also , if you don't want the box and the posters and just want the record, the new releases that come out after the box set has sold out, are the same vinyl that is used in the box set so you can experience the awesome sound of these 180 Gram Lp's at a fraction of the cost of the boxset.
on 1 June 2006
so crushingly sad in tenor, yet deep, profound, melodious and thought-provoking. An utterly unique album in the history of guitar-folk music. Nick Drake was an enigma and a genius; that much is certain.