Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 August 2002
Never before had I bought an album that seems quite so... Greek. The first couple of tracks open up, setting out the main themes that are used throughout the album. The string orchestra drones along in the background and a selection of traditional folky instruments are used to carry the main tunes. To some ears, it might seem repetitive, but to me it sounded nicely minimalist.
I first bought this CD years ago but it was stolen. I could never find it again for a long time and I bought Karaindrou's soundtrack to Eternity and a Day in the meantime. Then I found this album again and I snapped it up.
Having returned to this album after a gap of many years, Ulysees Gaze is similar in feel to Eternity & a Day. Coming earlier though, it has a smaller, tighter feel to it but doesn't suffer for that. It's definately music for a slightly overcast Sunday afternoon while looking out of the window at the world...
on 9 March 2012
I came upon this album quite by chance. I first heard tracks from an ECM sampler album. I then went on a search to find the whole thing. What an earth shattering experience the first time I played it. The music is so full of emotion and depth. The experience was almost debilitating. I have listened endlessly, and never got bored with it. My only regret is that it is not available as a vinyl pressing as ECM make some amazingly musical Lps. If you love emotion in your music give it a listen.
on 17 December 2013
I first heard this being played by Clare Balding on her Sunday morning Radio 2 show & this was chosen as it was Remembrance Sunday.
It has a sad quality, which as a ,cellist, i adore.
Some reviews have called it repetative...........it is, but, what a refrain! Moving & spiritual!
on 19 March 2004
This album is absolutely brilliant! The music is achingly evocative and moving. It's a long time since I've heard anything that goes right to the heart in such a complete way. A wonderful sound experience.
on 3 April 2010
Evocative, moody if slightly repetitive as is the case with most film music.I put it on when I'm netsurfing.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 August 2010
Although I have both 'Eternity and a Day' and this album, I prefer the latter, as it has a more unified structure to the music, and seems less episodic. The beauty of the achingly yearning refrain on viola, which is gradually re-worked and re-presented throughout, in various orchestral combinations, lodges itself firmly in the heart. So: music for the romantic in us all, with a fine dusting of desolation to prevent the mix becoming too syrupy, enhanced by fine musicianship and production values (a given on ECM), throughout. Some reminders of Max Richter here, but a less sweet and more complex mix. Recommended.
on 20 April 2011
Timeless profound music for the huge themes dealt with by the film. Spine-tingling at times, tear inducing at others, soaringly beautiful and still taking you through the deep depths of sorrow that is humanity. A very human work. Amazing. Psalm track is simply ethereal with echoes of history and legacy ....