Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 October 2000
Whilst listening to this record one wonders how Richard D James accomplishes using such harsh sounding clatters in this work and makes it sound as utterly beautiful to the ear as it does. 'Icct Hedral' opens with the most jagged sounding beats you can imagine but because the rhythm is so innovative you are instantly swept away into the music. Tracks such as 'Wet tip hen ax' and 'Mookid' are so fresh and alive that it will make you thank God you have bought this album! The real stand out track on this album is, however, 'Alberto Balsalm'. It is pure ecstacy to listen to, totally uncliched (as is the whole album) but maybe one of the most blissful pieces I have ever heard in my life! This album is probably the closest to heaven that music can get. In a word 'EXTRAORDINARY'.
on 1 December 2002
Not quite as harsh on the ears the RDJ album, not as hypnotic and trance inducing as Selected Ambient Works II, this album is a superb bridge.
Featuring a couple of orchestral tracks, one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written (Alberto Balsalm), one of the most painful pieces of music ever written (Ventolin) and Cow Cud Is A Twin, which is both absurdly titled, and absurdly funky, the album is certainly Rich's most diverse.
A couple of tracks early on are a tad forgettable, but made up for in the later tracks.
Fantastic.
on 9 March 2000
This is one of those rare albums that never sounds quite the same twice. Like Nine Inch Nails' 'The Downward Spiral', you hear something new every time. Tracks like 'The Waxen Pith' and 'Alberto Balsalm' send you off into a weird revery, 'Ventolin' wakes you up and 'Next Heap With' sends you cowering under the bed, while the magnificent 'Icct Hedral' throws you into possibly the scariest music-influenced trance ever. Purveyors of electronic music keep banging on about how synthesisers should be treated with no less respect than more orthodox instruments, but Richard D James is the only guy out there who really shows us how true this can be. Beautiful and often harrowing, 'I Care Because You Do' will be immediately appreciated by Twin's fans. Newcomers may not be impressed on the first listen, but if you stick with it, it won't be long before you rush out and buy everything this Cornish genius has ever done. And believe me, it's worth it.
on 6 September 2013
I'm a big Aphex Twin fan and this album is one I have been eagerly awaiting to get on vinyl. I was delighted that the album was only £12, same as the Richard D. James album which had only one LP whereas this hosts 2!

The album features a range of songs cleverly using well crafted drum beats and some catchy rhythms with some ace samples thrown in. I'm a particular fan of Alberto Balsalm, a more ambient track that on vinyl sounds as good as i've ever heard it anywhere before. If you are an Aphex Twin fan you simply must have this in your collection while it's still cheap and available. The pressing itself is very good and the 180g vinyl that warp decided to use is a brilliant bonus as for me it plays better on my vinyl player (this may not apply to you of course).

A gorgeous album, happy customer I am C:
on 22 March 2011
brilliant! and i'm glad that someone finally mentioned 'come on you slags'. the entire album is great. it makes your ears bleed, then it kisses them better.
on 26 February 2015
probably aphex twin's most accessible and melodic album, in my personal opinion. this album was basically the soundtrack of my early teenage years. alberto basalm is a classic and one of aphex twin's best pieces, and the rest of this album has a similar upbeat, melodic, and 'accessible' vibe. great entry-point for anyone just getting into aphex twin following his big comeback with Syro, and a must have for anybody who likes aphex twin's more melodic and chilled out styles
on 10 March 2013
See I told you I like a diverse range of music?

This release is one of the better electronic records that I have purchased and is highly original both in its approach and sound.
Twisted beats a plenty here my friends and rest assured that you will never find this guy on one of those over hyped "ministry of sound" cash in compilations - a true sound from the electronic underground and like many great artists a door way for those willing to explore further??
on 26 June 2013
Aphex Twin - it's taking me ages to appreciate what people really see in his music, but I'm just about there. So it's a bonus for me that Warp are re-releasing some of his vinyl, otherwise, no doubt it would be fetching Boards of Canada prices and I'd probably not buy it on CD.

Great pressing and another brilliant record. If you have any interest in electronic music, Aphex Twin's releases must be on your list?
on 15 July 2014
With the exception of SAW and SAW2, I find many Aphex Twin albums like those John Lennon CDs where you need to program the player to skip the Yoko Ono tracks. In my case, I want the chilled out ambient tracks but not the more dance orientated stuff. This album is a perfect example.

The opening track has a hypnotic drumbeat and you instantly feel you're on course for a SAW style experience. Track 3 let's the side down a bit but then Icct Hedral takes you to another dimension with it's superb multi-layering of string sounds to give a sinister classical feel and extra punch when the chord change in the middle kicks in.

After this I skip to Mookid, for the final four tracks are sublime, Alberto Balsalm in particular. This has an addictive baseline and seems to relax the mind, as the 'balsam/balm' in the title might imply. The final track returns to layered string style of Icct Hedral.

The tracks I always skip include Ventolin which simulates the tinnitus-like side effect that some people get from this asthma reliever. This is a real 'Marmite' track that you will either love or hate.

Personally, I would love to see the excellent Pancake Lizard (B side) included on this album to tip the balance further in the direction of the lounge as opposed to the dance floor. So it's 3 out of 5 for me, but with the wonders of CD programming I can easily make it a 5. It's worth the admission fee for Icct Hedral and Alberto Balsalm alone.
on 27 July 2015