5.0 out of 5 stars The Promised Land, 20 Aug 2010
Mr. M. D. Barnett (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jordan: The Comeback (Audio CD)
Jordan is a songwriting/recording tour de force. When Paddy Macaloon is inspired he writes, when he composed this he wrote to inspire.
On J.T.C. Paddy lets loose on a range of conspiracy theories, theological debates and serious eccentricities - and that's just the lyrics! Musically literate; the composers arrangements are often sublime and his studio nous leaves your ears straining to catch whats going on deep in the mix. As someone once remarked 'each song has 3 more ideas trying to get out'.

So whats the category? Classic pop I guess

5.0 out of 5 stars Carnival 2000, 20 July 2013
This review is from: Jordan: The Comeback (Audio CD)
I bought this; when it first came out. So I have it on cassette. I had heard the group previewing 'Jordan', on the radio. I thought, 'I must buy that , when it is released'. I am shocked at how good 'Jordan' is. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised. Afterall this is the talent that created, the hit. 'When love breaks down'. Prefab Sprout is really the brain-child of Paddy Mcaloon. He writes every song, plays guitar, sings and produces. You could say, 'Totally gifted'. On Jordan though it is that other genius, 'Thomas Dolby', that produces. This to me puts the recording on a different level. It is flawless. Paddy Mcaloons song writing and creativity is boundless. A great singer too. So is Wendy Smith on keyboards. There are 19 tracks on Jordan, it plays like a double disc. My particular favourites are; 'All the World love lovers'. Which has a similar construction to 'When love breaks down'.
I also like the blues orientated, 'Machine gun Ibiza'.With great wah wah guitar. Then there is the futuristic sounding , 'Ice Maiden'. It actually sounds like a Thomas Dolby track,with it's technical wizardry I celebrated the Millenium with this album.
There isn't one dull moment on Jordan. It is the tops in my eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen and be amazed, 3 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Jordan: The Comeback (Audio CD)
Read the track listing and this gives a flavour of what is in store - a colourful array of medoldies. Prefab have managed to squeeze 19 perfect titles on this offering. I bought the album on Vinyl several years ago but after a long wait on my shelf I listened to the album and I was compelled to tell you how good this album is. From Ice Maiden (just superb) - a sumptuous ballad through 'We let the stars go' to 'All the world loves lovers' there are no duff tracks here. Flip over to side 1 or skip back on CD to track 3 to Machine Gun Ibiza for an upbeat tempo pop treat. This album is brilliant, so varied and so rich in well written songs - BUY IT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars So many layers, 5 April 2009
Alpinefinland "mal" (stanley, durham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jordan: The Comeback (Audio CD)
My favorite sprout album. So many layers. Mentions of god, elvis in the work. Superb production values. Great in stereo. Majestic lyrics. One of the broken is sublime. My favorite song on the album. Maybe they chose the wrong ones for singles. Carnival 2000, We let the stars go and Looking for Atlantis are imo the weakest tracks. Much prefer the poppy Moondog or Jordan the comeback or Wild Horses. Maybe they shoudnt have chosen singles and left just the album. Reminds me of Kate Bush's Hounds of Love. So many melodies.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changing album, 1 Mar 2009
This review is from: Jordan: The Comeback (Audio CD)
Very few albums come along and touch your life the way this one did. Along with Raintown by Deacon Blue, Dare by Human League and Disintegration by The Cure this album has shaped my life.
I am not locked in musical history and as a mid 40's married man buy Hed Kandi and alot of trance but this album is one complete emotion if you let yourself free and put it on head phones.
My daughter was named after a track on this album,the entire collection of songs on this album inspired a lot of decisions in my life, including proposing to my wife

5.0 out of 5 stars IF THIS IS HEAVEN, 7 Dec 2007
Mis R. L. Pearson "Purpleacidqueen" (Phantasmagoria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jordan: The Comeback (Audio CD)
PREFAB SPROUT WERE TIPPED IN THE EARLY EIGHTIES TO BE THE FUTURE OF ROCK AND ROLL. STUPID REALLY AS THEY WERE A PURE POP BAND. 'SWOON', 'STEVE McQUEEN', 'PROTEST SONGS' AND 'FROM LANGLEY PARK TO MEMPHIS' WERE ALL CLASSIC ALBUMS, BUT THIS IS SUBLIME! SUFFERING FROM A SOMEWHAT GRANDIOSE EIGHTIES PRODUCTION, THE OVERALL 'SOUND' CAN SOMETIMES DISTRACT FROM WHAT IS GOING ON, BUT THIS IS PROBABLY THE BEST POST SIXTIES POP ALBUM EVER MADE, EXCPTING PERHAPS 'RADIO CITY' BY BIG STAR!

FORGET THE PRODUCTION AND LISTEN TO THE SUBSTANCE. THIS RECORD IS FULL OF WONDERFULLY CRAFTED SONGS WHICH WOULD SIT WELL BY THE SIDE OF THE BEST OF RODGERS AND HART / HAMMERSTEIN. 'JESSE JAMES', 'CARNIVAL 2000', 'ONE OF THE BROKEN' AND MANY MORE MAKE THIS RECORD ESSENTIAL IN ANY SERIOUS COLLECTION. 'DOO WOP IN HARLEM' TAKES IT BEYOND THE ESSENTIAL; THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SONGS EVER WRITTEN. IF PADDY MACALOON ISN'T ELECTED TO THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME, THEN THEY NEVER SANG 'DOO WOP IN HARLEM'.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite PS album, 8 Mar 2013
Had this years ago and can't understand why I never replaced it - this is packed full of superb songs and deserves a place in anybody's collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like meeting an old friend., 16 Jun 2010
This review is from: Jordan: The Comeback (Audio CD)
Had this on vinyl for some years, but not played for a while. Bought the CD. The different style of songs on this, with great melody and song structure make this one of the best Prefab albums. I think it is a fantastic album, that most people would enjoy if given a few listens. As with all albums there are a few tracks that are not everyones thing, but there is something for everyone on this.
Love it.

Jordan: The Comeback
Jordan: The Comeback by Prefab Sprout (Audio CD - 2001)