• Coil

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£16.56+ £1.26 shipping

Toad the Wet Sprocket were always too caught up under the general label of US College Rock to ever make it big in the UK, but the genre belies just how evocative and special Toad's music actually is. "Coil" is the culmination of the twelve or so years their career lasted, featuring incredibly strong singles like "Whatever I Fear" and memorable album tracks like the near-perfect "Rings." For anyone who wants more REM without having to wait, you could do a lot worse than to explore Toad's back catalogue, and ironically their last album is the perfect place to start. Siesmically wonderful.
on 15 June 2009
This album just grows and grow and grows.

I originally got into Toad following Brother on the 'So I Married an Axe Murderer' soundtrack and the bought Dulcinae which i loved...after a while. But i thought that's probably enough of the band for me.

Ten years (or more) later i'm getting the fed up with current music scene vibe so thought i'd dig back into the past. So pleased I did.

Throughout the album this is generally livelier fayre than Dulcinae, but Toad still build the songs with the same class. Songs that sometimes start with a dull, heard it before dirge, insisting that I press the skip button, just build with great melodies so that by the end of the song i'm hitting the repeat.

I don't have a favourite song, they are all taking a turn.

If you are looking for band comparisons well one song has a Sugar (Bob Mould) style, another has a Teenage Fanclub vibe (or does TF have a Toad vibe, probably more accurate), but generally it's just a Toad vibe. REM may be the closest comparison, but that's more of style and tempo thing than a plagerising tunes thing.

Buy it, listen several times then reap the benefits.
on 14 October 2012
Was and still is one of my favourite albums of all time. Massively overlooked band with huge talent. Shame they couldn't reap the rewards at their peak but good luck to them for the future now they are back recording. It'll take something special to come close to this recording though.
on 21 November 2004
I just keep going back to this album 4 years after hearing it. there's not a bad track and the production and performances are amazing, for me it the best Toad album.