5.0 out of 5 stars Dylan looks to the past to prepare for the future
Published on 4 Mar. 2003 by Daniel Jolley

3.0 out of 5 stars Bob goes back to his folk roots
I got round to listening to this album after Frank Black sardonically called it the best album of the last 15 years in a special edition of Q a few years back (he also added that he was currently listening to Self-Portrait). This is an undistinguished, but enjoyable collection of stripped-down folk standards, recorded during a time when Dylan's creative muse had more or...
Published on 28 Aug. 2007 by Steve

5.0 out of 5 stars exellent, 11 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Good As I Been To You (Audio CD)
Nice and relaxed nothing too dramatic always loved Bob Dylan and a few new additons here to just relax to !

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't, 9 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Good As I Been To You (Audio CD)
miss out on a single track from the great master , they all here just waiting to be switched on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good As I Been To You: Bob Dylan - Hard Times for Dylan fans, 25 July 2012
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Good As I Been To You (Audio CD)
Dylan's 28th studio album, released in 1992, is not one that I return to often. The first of two albums where he went back to his roots and recorded old folk and blues tunes, often with a very child like feel, this has the feel of a contractual obligation album. There are no original songs, and Dylan's interpretations of the covers is not only not particularly interesting, but due to the unsympathetic production values, they verge on the painful. His voice is a ravaged croak, and whereas in later albums he learned to use this to an advantage, managing to deliver depth and emotion, here it just sounds like a man in pain.

Not a good album, and the one I consider to Be Dylan's worst, even worse than Empire Burlesque. 1 star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 11 Dec. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Good As I Been To You (Audio CD)
I adore this album. It is Bob doing old folk songs, and he makes them soooo much fun. I've since bought some of the orginials which he covers here, and he uses his great big brain to make them new and very fun! I sing these on home from pub every time!

4.0 out of 5 stars So bad it's good!, 7 Feb. 2008
P. Wallace (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good As I Been To You (Audio CD)
Leo Kottke is celebrated as having described his own voice as "goose farts on a foggy day". A reasonable description balanced by the simple fact that he plays unbelievably wonderful guitar. Bob Dylan however has a voice (more evidently than usual on this album) that sounds like the cries of a particularly vocal and constipated goose being slowly tortured to death with a petrol powered brush-cutter. Furthermore his guitar playing is so excruciatingly bad (again as usual) as he butchers this selection of English and American folk songs that, were he unknown, he would be forcibly ejected from any half-decent folk club.

Why then do I award this 4 stars? Because it just sounds great!! I can't explain it - you just have to listen for yourself. At the price it sells for nowadays you can afford to take the chance and, if you do, it'll creep up on you for sure - trust me.....

4.0 out of 5 stars One of his best albums., 5 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Good As I Been To You (Audio CD)
Bob Dylan back to his acoustic best. Both adults and children will love this.JJ

5.0 out of 5 stars A Late Bloomer, 4 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Good As I Been To You (Audio CD)
One good thing about writing reviews is the fact that I am often compelled to pick up things I have ignored for a long time. When this album was released, I snatched it up, listened to it a few times, and proceeded to forget about it for some reason. Being less of a Dylan addict at the time, the fact that this album consisted basically of folk music accompanied by impeccable acoustic guitar did not strike me as very significant, and I was slightly disappointed that these songs were all covers. I was not used to this kind of Dylan music, and for that reason I believe this CD failed to captivate me at the time. Listening to it again now, I am amazed by this album's greatness. Acoustic guitar, harmonica, and Dylan's uniquely raspy vocal musings-that's really all Dylan ever needed, and Good As I Been To You is proof that what was true in the 1960s was just as true in the 1990s and will be true until Dylan's greatness is snatched away from this earth.

These songs are all mesmerizing, but Hard Times deserves special attention, as Dylan pours his heart and soul into the song. Arthur McBride is another incredible story-telling saga. Tomorrow Night particularly shows off Dylan's harmonica-playing, and the song's familiarity provides an opening for those seeking to appreciate this impressive album and proves once again that Dylan can in fact sing a love song with great feeling. Don't think that these tracks are all slow and somber anthems, though; a quick listen at Step It Up and Go will show you that Dylan can infuse tons of energy into folk music. Good As I Been To You is Dylan at his most natural, and one can only sit back and revel in the story-telling prowess of one of music's most influential and legendary performers.

Looking back on this album, I can't help but consider it the product of an exceedingly important phase in Dylan's evolution as an artist and musician, one in which he looked back to his roots and drew sustenance for the incredible comeback he would make in coming years. With the mixed success of albums such as Under the Red Sky, clearly it can be said that Dylan was floundering musically at the time this particular album was recorded. While some questioned his decision to record an album of covered folk and blues songs at this particular time, Dylan knew what he was doing, and what he was doing was reinventing himself yet again in preparation for hours and hours of incredible new music with which to delight fans and critics alike in coming years. I think many Dylan fans will now agree that this album keeps getting better as the years go by, but at the same time I can see where those unfamiliar with Dylan's musical progression might not warm up to it so easily for the simple fact that it will probably differ greatly from their expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Feb. 2015
Highly recommended seller A+++++

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Dec. 2014
R. Thacker (Brighton) - See all my reviews
All good

Good As I Been To You
Good As I Been To You by Bob Dylan (Audio CD - 1997)