Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 February 2007
I think this LP came out in '71 and I discovered it in '73 having been introdiced via 'Still Alive and Well'. Wow, what a difference two years make! From the hard rock of SAAW, this was much gentler (and for the most part) phazed, psychedelic funky-blues rock. This album became my 'authentic' sound of the era I'd missed through being just a little too young.

'Funky music' blew me away with its 'stereo' guitar, i.e. two completely different squarking solos going off in each speaker.

The solo at the end of 'Nothing Left' was spellbinding.

Although they didn't really feature guitar solos, I really loved 'No Time To live' with its beyond blues-style despair...and 'let The Music Play' was lush, soulful blues with female backing vocals.

'R&R Hoochie Koo' has become a classic.

There were a couple of stinkers on the album (inc. on the limb), but over the years, I've grown to love them all.

There was never another JW album quite like this and I don't know if anyone else, Hendrix included, quite mastered this degree of psychedelia all in one place(?)

I guess it is very (very) dated now, but if you are just getting into the man Winter, then this is as different as it gets until he dabbles with phazed blues on John Dawson Winter III.

I love it
on 3 October 2013
This is one of the very best albums from Johnny Winter featuring blistering guitar from Rick Derringer.
Every track is good particularly Rock & Roll Hoochie Coo.
You will not be disappointed with this superb album from one of the greatest guitar players ever.
on 11 October 2013
I used to own a vinyl version of this album in then 70s, and recently I have been trying to replace some of my old collection on CD.
I am so glad that I bought this again, as I am re living my youth.
on 7 January 2013
If you like loud but subtle guitarwork give this a listen. One of my favourites from university.
Quality is surprisingly good for it's age.
on 15 June 2016
Not as good as I thought it would be - the phrasing, licks and so on have ended up becoming "good old boy" clichés; perhaps they weren't when this album came out ...
on 14 June 2016
Brilliant record. I'm glad I've had another listen to Johnny Winter. I wish I had appreciated him more when he was still around.