5.0 out of 5 stars The best and most played of all my Mary-Chapin Carpenter CDs
Published on 3 Feb 2001 by pv

3.0 out of 5 stars MCC plays country
If you're coming to MCC from the country side, this is probably the easiest place to start. Although it lacks the substance of her best work, it has several of her biggest crowd-pleasers, and is always enjoyable - I Take My Chances especially so.
Published on 19 July 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars The best and most played of all my Mary-Chapin Carpenter CDs, 3 Feb 2001
This review is from: Come On Come On (Audio CD)
This collection of songs has won many awards, and deservedly so. The beautiful and haunting title track, "Come On Come On" is my personal favourite, followed very closely by the equally haunting "Only A Dream" and "I Am A Town"; songs which I never tire of hearing. Not a single substandard track here. I recommend this M-CP album to anyone who likes thoughtful/provoking lyrics and beautifully and simply crafted music.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best MCC album by far., 2 May 2003
Steve M (Bournemouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Come On Come On (Audio CD)
Come On Come On was my introduction to Mary Chapin Carpenter and it is one of those truly influential albums which made the music scene really take notice of MCC. Collecting a raft of nominations and awards, the album showcases MCC's songwriting ability, voice and also her talent for covering other artists tracks. As a bonus, the production on this album is outstanding and the energy and drive on 'Passionate Kisses' contrasts beautifully with the mesmeric 'Only A Dream'. One of my favourite MCC tracks, her voice shimmers over the piano score in a deeply moving account of childhood loss. MCC is a musical force for sure and throughout her discography, her development is plain to hear. But if you start anywhere with a MCC album, start with this one. Come on Come on, you know it makes sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely singing, great backing music, 30 Jan 2008
This review is from: Come On Come On (Audio CD)
Lovely singing, great backing music,original and intelligent lyrics,all done by the woman with the most beautiful and haunting voice in country and folk music. Not as rocky as Shania Twain,or as folksy or bluesy or as bluegrass as many a country act.Somewhere away from all the others but with her feet on the ground despite, as is so often the case with her music,occupying a higher pedestal.The only singer in the world who I would pay good money to see live, because she so rarely sings an unlikeable song.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky Mary, 7 Mar 2013
GlynLuke (York UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This album is a blast.
On the ebullient I Feel Lucky, track 4 of a set of twelve well-programmed songs, the often rather sedate Mary sings, twinkle-eyed and mischief in her voice:

Well, eleven million later I was sitting at the bar,
I`d bought the house a double and the waitress a new car,
Dwight Yoakam`s in the corner trying to catch my eye,
Lyle Lovett`s right beside me, with his hand upon my thigh...
Hey Dwight, Hey Lyle, boys you don`t have to fight,
Hot dog, I feel lucky tonight!

I promise it isn`t just that Lyle and Dwight are two of my very favourite country singers that makes me love this song, but it`s good to know MCC admires them too, in whatever way she sees fit.
This was the record that really made her name, and it`s full of terrific songs, including a smattering of ballads, and bursts with life and high spirits.
I Am a Town is a beautiful slow number, in which Mary tells us all the various things, places and people that have made her what and who she is.
He Thinks He`ll Keep Her is one of her most famous songs, a cautionary tale and wry commentary on a man who fondly imagines he`ll hold on to his wife.
The title song which closes the album is a gentle, slow number that ends matters in a pleasingly low-key way, after such a generally upbeat run of songs.
All the songs here pack a punch in one way or another, making this one of Mary`s most compelling albums (it was followed by the equally wonderful Stones in the Road).
While there`s little here that`s earth-shattering, her literate lyrics, pure and true voice and musical intelligence are all ingredients which have made this woman a consistently likeable singer-songwriter who transcends genres. I came late to her but I`m eternally grateful I found her. She`s a singer who repays many listens.
This one mostly shows Mary Chapin at her raunchiest and most abandoned. It suits her. After all, she was feeling lucky!
She was right to.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic album, 25 April 2005
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Come On Come On (Audio CD)
Mary's music has always been hard to classify as, over her career, it has included elements of folk, pop, rock and country music. This album, recorded in 1992, appeared at a time when country was the dominant influence, but this is a long way from being a stereotypical country album. As such, it appeals to many fans who wouldn't normally listen to country music. With its strong-woman theme (especially on tracks such as He thinks he'll keep her), the album particularly appeals to women. Even as a man, I think that song is one of the highlights of the album - it reminds men not to take anything for granted where women are concerned (not that men should need reminding).
Perhaps the most famous song here is I feel like, a fun song in which Mary dreams about Dwight Yoakam and Lyle Lovett (two contemporary singers) fighting over her. It provides a lovely contrast from the normally serious songs that Mary is so good at. Another highlight is Passionate kisses, a song written and first recorded by Lucinda Williams. Mary's cover of the song was a huge country hit and helped to raise Lucinda's profile - remember that this was six years before Car wheels on a gravel road.
From the opening track (The hard way) to the closing title track, this album is packed full of outstanding songs including The bug (written by Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits), Not too much to ask (a tender ballad - this is a superb duet with Joe Diffie, an almost forgotten country singer) and Only a dream (one of many excellent songs that Mary wrote for the album.
This album remains the best of Mary's career. Look up the track listing for the compilation, Essential, for which half the tracks are lifted from this album. That is a great compliment to the quality of this album but it makes it hard for anybody to buy it if they've already bought Essential. That's a shame because every track here is brilliant.
Forget the Essential compilation - this is the place to begin a collection of Mary's music. If you also want a compilation, choose one that doesn't draw so heavily on this album, such as Party doll and other favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of MCC'S best..., 9 Oct 2011
os - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Come On Come On (Audio CD)
This album ought to be in the collection of every right thinking fan of country /pop. It is a inspired disc chock full of great tunes and great playing. I have played this CD many times over the years and never seem to tire of it. Mary C.C convinces because she brings so much personality and honesty to her music. She can be dare-devilish as on 'I Take My Chances', yearning ,'Not Too Much To Ask' and down right pugnacious 'He Thinks He'll Keep Her' and can carry it all off effortlessly. The band is a star studded line up - the Indigo Girls, Shawn Colvin and Benmont Tench to name but a few. Guitarist John Jorgenson is particularly hot adding some scolding licks all over the place - mmmm. Very nice..

'Come On, Come On' is an unusually consistent album, no clunkers and overall a very good listen indeed. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of her best albums, 19 Feb 2000
This review is from: Come On Come On (Audio CD)
Having heard this album whilst staying with friends in the Colorado in 1996, I could not return home without it. I now have all her albums, but this is my favourite; from the title track to Passionate Kisses and especially He Thinks He'll Keep Her MCC makes no errors. Buy and enjoy I never travel away from home without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mary Chapin Carpenter - "Come On Come On"., 9 Mar 2013
James "I'm a retired security guard. I enjoy ... (MARYPORT, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come On Come On (MP3 Download)
My first MCC album and a great one to begin with. Like many I expect my first taste of Carpenter was when I heard her sing the theme song "10,000 miles" in the film "Fly Away Home". I loved the song and her rendition of it. This album confirms my first impression on Carpenter as one of the great female singers of today.The fact she also writes great songs only enhances her appeal.

5.0 out of 5 stars One for the car..., 14 April 2013
This review is from: Come On Come On (Audio CD)
...where it's already going round and round on every journey. And only 1p plus postage?!? Well done again Zoverstocks - you never let us down on value.

5.0 out of 5 stars M.C.C at her best, 7 Oct 2012
John Greatorex (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come On Come On (Audio CD)
agree with the other critics. this was my first m.c.c, c.d, i love it, but i also love every album done by mary.

Come On Come On
Come On Come On by Mary Chapin Carpenter (Audio CD - 2003)