5.0 out of 5 stars Probably Satriani's best.
Published on 10 April 2006 by P. Woods

1.0 out of 5 stars Falling in a dream
Huge double album of imense disappointment, There precisely 4 fantastic tracks, the rest are really endless dripple.
Published on 2 May 2010 by Dreams beyond the Rainbow

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably Satriani's best., 10 April 2006
P. Woods (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flying In A Blue Dream (Audio CD)
I have not listened to 'Strange beautiful music' 'Time machine' and 'Not of this Earth', but I have heard all of Satch's other albums, and for me this is probably the greatest album he has ever done. If you've heard 'Surfing with the alien', this album will be no different, but Satch has many more different, interesting songs here. Straight-ahead shred-rock (Back to shalla-bal, One big rush), some funk (Bells of lal part 2, Strange), a bit of folk/country (The feeling, Phone call) and a bit of 80s metal (Big bad moon). Don't worry, Satch still delivers the crazy guitaring with fantastic solos. The solos in all of his songs are brilliant, with fast out-of-control ones, to melodic slow solos. He also includes his famous double handed tapping tecnique in the beautiful 'Day at the beach' and the not-so-good 'Headless'.
But also, Satch does a bit of singing now. Some may not like the idea of that and I wasn't sure if i'd like it at first, but I found some of the vocal tracks to be just as enjoyable, from the punky 'Can't slow down' to the ballad of 'I believe' they are all great, but one of my favourites is the mid-tempo rocker 'Ride'. He also sings in 'Phone call', 'Big bad moon' and 'Strange'. Satch's voice isn't as bad as everyone says, his voice is suited to the songs (maybe with the exception of 'I believe'). You can still sing the songs, no matter who sings them.
So, if you want to listen to Joe Satriani, i'd try 'Surfing with the alien' first, but this is also a good album to try as well and my favourite of Satriani. It just has a wide variety of songs and it's a great 70-minute listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing.....Satriani delivers the goods!, 7 Feb 2005
This review is from: Flying In A Blue Dream (Audio CD)
This was the very first Joe Satriani album I bought, midway through last year, having discovered it on an old Playstation game that I bought for no apparent reason. This twist of fate has introduced me (and a friend) to a musician I can really connect with.
Satriani is a sensational guitarist and this fact is oh so apparent in the brilliant "Flying In A Blue Dream" LP.
This album encompasses a fair old variety of musical styles from full on rock blast (see "Back To Shalla Bal"), bluesy, soothing tunes (e.g the title track), groovy, super fast staccato's (Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing) and many more. This variety ensures a varied listening experience and an album that will be played for years before you tire of its genius.
Joe himself gets involved with the vocals a great deal on this album, probably more so than on any of his other works. Arguably, this is a down side. He isn't a great singer in my opinion and he admits himself he is shy at the mic and not really cut out for singing. He lacks powerful vocal chords, however this doesn't detract from any of the music and a lot of the songs with Joes vocals are very good indeed, among the better selections on the album.
In fact, my only downside for this album would be the horrific track entitled "The Phone Call". Frankly, I'd rather suffer a brain haemmorhage than listen to this track.
This doesn't lower the overall mark I give this album of five stars though. I urge you all to buy this album if you haven't already. At 5.97 you really can't go wrong and it is a perfect introduction to Joe's work.
Ignore the fact that Joe is relatively unknown in this world dominated by manufactured bands and novelty records. This is real music, music with a passion. You must own this album before you can call yourself a real fan of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest guitar player I know., 29 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Flying In A Blue Dream (Audio CD)
Satriani is a genius. This album and The Extremist are by far his best, simply because he not only manages to produce stunning guitar tracks, he actually makes good music. You never get the feeling that Joe is simply trying to show off his talent, he clearly loves music. There are a vast range of tracks on this album all of which are great, but a few are simply stunning. Blue Dream is frighteningly good, and one of those tracks wannabe's like me can only dream of being able to play well. Satch uses so many different styles you'll never get bored of his music, a master of rock and blues, you can't help but get jealous of his frankly miraculous ability. For some all time classic guitar tracks buy this and The Extremist and you'll be happier for life. If you prefer a more techno feel to guitar playing, I would check out Engines of Creation.

4.0 out of 5 stars A truly brilliant album but not my favourite of satchs CD`s, 20 Feb 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Flying In A Blue Dream (Audio CD)
This is a brilliant CD which I have listened to for years and never got bored with it. The variety of song covered on this album is imense. Check out his tapping study Day At The Beach, what a gifted player. The album begins with the track Flying In A Blue Dream which is a true master piece. In my opinion the best tracks on here are I Believe, Big Bad Moon and Flying In A Blue Dream. The first half of this CD is the best and the last few songs seem to lack something, although I could not say what is missing.

5.0 out of 5 stars On my Desert Island disk lists.. should you ask, 11 Nov 2002
This review is from: Flying In A Blue Dream (Audio CD)
A big shock when this one hit the shops... A Satch with Vocals... what were we to expect? I'm delighted to say that the balance between instrumental and vocal was about right (for me).
I can close my eyes and descend into Aural Ecstasy. Especially with the closing tracks The Forgotten Parts 1&2. It's one of the few CD's in my collection that will stand playback again and again without becomming stale, hence... it's presence om my desert Island shortlist

5.0 out of 5 stars Immensely beautiful and diverse, 14 Jan 2003
This review is from: Flying In A Blue Dream (Audio CD)
I'll admit that I have been a guitarist for many years. Satriani has been one of my main influences, so please indulge some gushing on my part...
Flying in a Blue Dream is not just a great album for aspiring 'shred' guitarists, but contains some of Satriani's most emotive and skillful moments. Most of what Satriani does involves playing as fast as possible, which usually brings to mind some '80's poodle-haired rock-star. However, from the opening bars of the first song, you hear something more worthy of that image. Several songs are straight-forward rock, but others show admirable innovation in guitar playing. He also writes powerful music, and unlike other 2000 notes per second guitarists, has a rare ability to know when to slow down and get several nuances out of just one note. (but then again, you can get all that off just about any Satriani album.)
What makes Flying.. so special is the scope of it. The overall genre is rock, but Joe introduces new ideas, and playing styles that lend an air of maturity to his 'surf' rock songs and previous albums. My only quibbles are the odd few numbers where Joe sings, but then again, allow the man a few eccentricities.
It's not only a classic record to own amongst guitarists, Flying... is a fantastic example that not all rock guitarists want to play 3 minute 'Spinal Tap' solos to mundane cliched pop/metal songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning record, more like a work of art, 27 Jun 2011
Little Cat Voom (The middle of England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Flying In A Blue Dream (Audio CD)
This was the first record I bought by Joe Satriani, back in 1990 when I was 14. I remember it vividly; I was a fan of Steve Vai at the time and read that Joe had taught him, so figured the guy that taught Vai must be able to play! And I am so glad I took that punt, as 21 years later I still listen to Joe more than I listen to anyone else (although it`s been a while since he made a truly-great-from-beginning-to-end record). There`s something about his playing though that hits the spot for me; not too over the top but technically amazing, not too cliched but able to draw real emotion from the humble electric guitar, and he has ideas and an imagination that place him at the top of the tree of guitar instrumentalists in my humble view. I even like his song titles!

The eponymous opener will always be one of my favourite Joe songs; I`d never heard runs on an electric guitar like this before and I`d never realised before how some music does not need vocals! "The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing" features the first example of Joe`s technique where he swaps his hands over - guitarists will know what I mean - and makes a sound I couldn`t believe when I heard it (it`s almost impossible to believe), and seeing it live was even more insane! My favourite song on the record is "One Big Rush", 3:20 of pure rock, with a great riff, great melody, and an all-out attack solo. The second half of the record contains some beautiful, more introspective, songs such as tapping masterclass "Day At The Beach (New Rays From An Ancient Sun)", and the closer, dedicated to his father, "Into The Light". This record is also where Joe first put vocals to his songs (something he has occasionally returned to, but not often). The songs with vocals are generally standard rock-numbers, like "Can`t Slow Down", "Big Bad Moon" and "Ride", but also the quirkier "The Phone Call" and the wonderful, underrated "I Believe" (a song I have always loved).

I return to this album more than perhaps any other as it really is something different, and something special. I`ll never grow tired of it, because it is so varied, it showcases all of Joe`s incredible skills, and is simply one of the greatest guitar albums ever made.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love most of it .., 5 Dec 2010
Lucioperca (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flying In A Blue Dream (Audio CD)
I have sometime listened to some Joe Satriani stuff and thought to myself ..."all he needs to do is lay some vocals over this music and he would be even more awesome" ? So I was quite surprised to discover this album had some vocals but when I played it, I seemed to become one of Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse's self-righteous brothers. "Oi !! Satriani !! Nooooo!!" I had immediately found myself thinking "That sounds so wrong!!" Only on hearing the tracks with vocals did I realised Satriani doesn't need anything to detract from his awesome shredding. Four tracks here have had vocals laid over them and in my own opinion they only really sound right on the track Ride ... I find myself skipping past the other three when they come on the car stereo. Perhaps I am over-reacting and others will balance out my own view on this subject. However, once I got past that particular trauma, I have to confess that this is a superb album. Not quite in the class of The Extremist, but its side by side with Surfing WIth The Alien. Its just such a listenable album. I have dumped 6 Satriani albums onto a CD and play it on shuffle in the car ... this man is a living legend and this album delivers in spades. Many Satch fans will love the vocals tracks ... each to their own. Buy this album and judge for yourself ... there are 18 tracks on here so even if you don't like the vocals there are still another 14 stunners. This is well worth owning and I am glad I have become a Satriani convert - even if it did take until I reached my 40's.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Big Rush..., 28 Aug 2007
This review is from: Flying In A Blue Dream (Audio CD)
I remember listening to Surfing With The Alien for first time ever when it was released as a track in the "The Best Air Guitar Album In The World...Ever". I was simply speechless by the fast paced rhythms and solos that were being produced from this guy and his guitar...it was amazing.

Flying in a Blue Dream was my sixth Satch album I had purchased after hearing some of the tracks on "The Electric Joe Satriani compilation" and some nagging from my art teacher about how good it was.

The album opens up with the wonderful title track and is followed by a mix of chilled out tunes, fast solos and some vocal work from Satch himself, which was noticeably not a feature in the previous albums.

I've heard a little negativity towards Satriani's vocals but to be honest, they are not that bad and they fit in rather well, not to mention in songs like Big Bad Moon the guitar work seems to reinforce the strength of the songs.

Overall, Flying In A Blue Dream is one of, if not, the finest album in the Satriani discography, showing just what this guitarist is capable of.

Classic, excellent and inspirational. Five Stars

Personal favourites on this album are...
Flying In A Blue Dream
I Believe
One Big Rush
Big Bad Moon
The Forgotten (Part 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 28 Jun 2007
This review is from: Flying In A Blue Dream (Audio CD)
I recently purchased four Satriani albums ('Surfing With The Alien', 'Flying In A Blue Dream', 'Crystal Planet' and 'Is There Love In Space'.) I would say that this and 'SWTA' are the best of the four. Joe Satriani is one of the most talented, influential and unique guitarists in the world, and this album is perhaps the best proof why.

The opening title-track is a mystical experience in itself - a great chord progression overdubbed with an amazing guitar solo. 'The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing' is another amazing song; heavier, bluesier and with a great riff and solo. The tapping is amazing. Other highlights include the beatiful 'Day At The Beach (New Rays From An Ancient Sun', the hard-rocking 'Back To Shalla-Bal' and the surprisingly normal rock song 'Ride'. Joe Satriani may be one of the most technically gifted guitarists ever, but he knows how to mix technique and music properly, like Eric Johnson, rather than just mindlessly shredding, llike Yngwie Malmsteen. Of course, you will find tapping (including in his own unique way where he taps two different melodies at once e.g. 'Day at the Beach') shredding, string-skipping etc, but it's not all the time and as fast as possible.

I would also recommend;

'Surfing With The Alien' - Joe Satriani

'Passion and Warfare' - Steve Vai

'Population Override' - Buckethead

'Ah Via Musicom' - Eric Johnson

'Crystal Planet' - Joe Satriani

Flying In A Blue Dream
Flying In A Blue Dream by Joe Satriani (Audio CD - 2004)