5.0 out of 5 stars Top-notch album for dance music fans
Published on 24 Feb 2003 by greggen

2.0 out of 5 stars Highly Overrated
Some music never get old, never seems dated. A few examples are Beatles' "White Album" and Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon". Both albums have almost outlived me twice, but somehow the music still intrigues and engages the audience.
The same can't be said for the most part og music from the 80's. Just take a listen to early Depeche Mode and all other synthpop from...
Published on 18 April 2011 by Troels Stampe Johansen

5.0 out of 5 stars Top-notch album for dance music fans, 24 Feb 2003
This review is from: Leftism (Audio CD)
I was recommended Leftfield's second release, Rhythm and Stealth, by a friend who wasn't really a fan of dance music and, having not seen that album in the shops, bought this one instead first. I was impressed from the start, yet this album has grown on me since then. It is an entirely unique record - a seamless blend of high-quality dance and ethereal chillout from a talented outfit.
Several of the tracks (or at least sections of them) will be familiar to many, as they have appeared on TV programs such as Big Brother (Original) and adverts (Release The Pressure etc). However, it is possible to get a full feel for these tracks on the album, many of which sound entirely different away from the context of TV.
I would recommend this album to any fan of dance music, but also to music fans looking to broaden their horizons a little; it is an excellent musical work and demands attention from any truly open-minded lover of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Dance Album ever made - full stop, 2 Nov 1999
This review is from: Leftism (Audio CD)
It takes a lot to impress a man who would rather listen to a four piece guitair band then a couple of talented computer whiz kids make magic on their yamaha synths and drum machines - but it all changed with this unquestionable classic album by Leftfield.
This is not an album made of hit singles and album fillers for it really does take you on a journey, just like any other clasic album should do.
From the opening bars of Release the Pressure followed by Afro Left - both of which have damaged my speakers at some time or other. Right through to the epic closing featuring Mr Pistols himself - an album that deserves to be in any real music fans collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is superb!, 14 Dec 2000
This review is from: Leftism (Audio CD)
I'm lost for words with this album, I felt reluctant to check out Rhythm and Stealth when it came out for fear that it wouldn't live up to expectations. (it did by the way)
It's a beautiful creation, 11 tracks of masterful electronic creation which demand to be listened to over and over again.
My favourite track? I don't have one, genuinely I can't pick a track that stands out as the best here because I can't fault it in any way.
If you don't own this album already, isn't it time you dug deep into your pocket and sorted out that void in your music collection?

5.0 out of 5 stars Desert island disc, 6 Oct 2005
This review is from: Leftism (Audio CD)
I have around 700 CDs and this is the best of the lot. It's the only album I have which I can play all the way through. There are no fillers, no average tracks. Every single one is a highlight although 'Release the pressure', 'Space shanty' and 'Open up' just have the slightest edge over the rest. 'Leftism' is frequently mentioned as the best ever 'dance' or 'electronica' album. That's not much of a compliment considering the poor quality of 99% of dance music. IMO, the only 'dance' albums that come anywhere close are Orbital's brown album, Underworld's 'Dubnobass..' and Fluke's 'Puppy' and 'Risotto'. Nope. 'Leftism' is frankly the best album I've ever heard and is one of the few that I still play regularly, even almost a decade after its release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Legendary, 16 Dec 2007
Dmt (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leftism (Audio CD)
This sounded new ten years after its release. I remember a couple of months before it came out. Leftfield had been releasing lots of tracks and the album was something to look forward to. And when it was released people were asking if one had heard this really good album.
The remarkable thing about this album is that even ten years on not only did it sound new but it also sounded considerably better than its current day competitors.
I think it may well be my desert island disc.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timeless Masterpiece, 7 Mar 2003
This review is from: Leftism (Audio CD)
Leftism is a true timeless, eclectic masterpiece of music making. As prolific and forward thinking in 1995 as it is now and will be in the future, this album changed dance music and music itself forever. Nothing is left out on this album, from the wailing soulfulness of Earl Sixteen on Release the Pressure to the heavy reggae and brilliant lyrical creations of Danny Red on Check One via the trademark bass lines and pounding techno rhythms on Afro-Left and Open Up. The production is technically the best you will ever be likely to hear and is sensitively constructed conveying a massive range of emotion. Handel, Hendrix... Barnes and Daley are up there. Genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seminal first album with an eclectic mature dance style, 28 Oct 1999
This review is from: Leftism + Bonus Disc (Audio CD)
I bought leftism when it was first released more than 5 years ago. Since then, I have played it to death, and lent it out three times. Each time it was never returned, yet no more than 6 months passed till I just had to hear it again. Never before have I liked an album so much that I had no problem parting with my 'hard-earned' to replace it. A superb speaker tester with mature thumping dance rythmns and one, maybe two tracks that aren't brilliant, just very very good.
The neighbours'll hate you and your partner will leave!

5.0 out of 5 stars A record that trancends ever genre, 17 Feb 2006
David Johnson "El Burrito" (Buenos Aires) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Leftism (Audio CD)
I rate this as one of the greatest albums of all time. A collection of pulsatingly versatile tracks that trancend every musical genre and deserves to placed in the same bracket as Miles Davis´s, "A kind of Blue."
It´s a tour de force, an explration of rhythm and melody that showcases electronic music at it´s best, pushing boundaries, challenging your conceptions of space and time.
To start with "Release the pressure," has me lost in a constant daydream that I never wake up from. "Athro left," is an energetic enthnic cauldron that has me jumping up and down. Then we find the classic "Original," so delicately arranged, it´s accessible to any music fan. Listen to, "Black Flute." I like to lay back on my bed and it just pulls me along.
I bought this the day it was released and it still sounds like it was made yesterday. It´s still near the top of my very large pile of CD´s,
go buy it if you haven´t got it,
Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Burn Hollywood Burn', 6 Jun 2009
This review is from: Leftism (Audio CD)
Never was former Sex Pistol John `Johnny Rotten' Lydon's caustic nasal whine put to better use than on the lead single `Open Up' that catapulted Leftfield into the pantheon of dance music greats. The shuddering, shimmering, relentless sonic cathedral of sound just forces you to get up and dance, and the remainder of the album ain't half bad either.
In the mid 90s, this album's mix of electro, soul, ambient, dub, reggae, and even house music, blew the competition away, and along with the likes of `Faithless', `Prodigy', `Massive Attack', `Portishead', and `Basement Jaxx, ushered in a new era of articulate, intelligent Dance music.
Like many others I eagerly snapped up a copy of follow-up CD `Rhythm and Stealth', which was more `Trip-Hop' oriented and less innovative. While still a decent enough album, Leftfield never hit the heights that the sublime `Leftism' reached, again. Like a fine wine, this just gets better with age; buy it, absorb it; savour it for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Dance Album Ever?, 15 Dec 2007
J. Cowen (Durham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leftism (Audio CD)
Putting an artist album up on a pedestal is sure to have people want to knock it down, but in my opinion nothing even comes close to Leftism. Very few "dance" artists or bands have been able to create a quality artist album and only the Chemical Brothers and the Prodigy have matched Leftfield's output of quality. The fact that I am on my 5th cd of this as many of my so called friends love to "borrow" it, never to be seen again, is testiment to how good this album is. If you are a fan of quality music buy this if you haven't got it already. If you do have it, buy a spare, you never know when you might need it!

ARRAY(0xa73b3c30)

Leftism
Leftism by Leftfield (Audio CD - 2000)