5.0 out of 5 stars Mariah's Daydream Is Romantic, Soothing & Relaxing., 28 Jun 2008
This review is from: Daydream (Audio CD)
Daydream was Mariah's 4th studio album released in the fall of 1995, by this this time there was pressure on her to try and match, or even exceed the success of her last album `Music Box', and did she accomplish this? well the answer is yes, but she didn't just make another hit record that was nominated for numerous Grammy's, or that went on to sell tens of millions of copies, on this album she took more creative control than ever before, and there's plenty of evidence of Mariah developing not just her style, but as an artist.

Classic Mariah ballads make up a large percentage of this album, but this time around they have more of an edge, and they are deeper and more emotional, and for the first time guests are present, including contributions from Boys II Men and Jermaine Dupri, who appear on the songs `One Sweet Day', Always Be My Baby' and `Long Ago`.

In my opinion some of the best tracks on the album are firstly the incredibly moving `Open Arms', one of my favourite Mariah songs of all time, it reminds me of a war song because of all the lyrical references to the idea of being apart, hence the lyrics `living without you living alone / this empty house seems so cold', apparently the song was a reconstituted version of something similar to this written back in 1981, although I'm not sure, `I Am Free' was also another one of my favourites, it's basically about having been freed though love, again very very successful lyrically, the dreamy and drifting `Underneath The Stars' what can I say? I Have 99.9 percent of the time found Mariah and Walter Afanasieff collaborations to be a success, so i think that says it all, `One Sweet Day' was also very much a stand out track for me, a true ballad and one of the best, the collaboration between Mariah and Boys II Men was perfectly matched and worked a treat, `Always Be My Baby', `When I Saw You' and `Forever' were also among my favourites.

The fact that after the album had been nominated for various Grammy awards, but failed to even gain a single one is completely unimportant, because this album has already won the best prize of all, well for a start it's without a doubt timeless, and not just that it's also the fact it was brought to us by a superb artist who knows how to write songs, and knows how to captivate her audience in a way no other artist can, a certain triumph for the one and only Mariah Carey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daydream whilst you're listening, 7 Mar 2007
This review is from: Daydream (Audio CD)
Mariah Carey's Daydream album is her last great record in my opinion. Her songwriting is fantastic and strong here, songs like One Sweet Day, Underneath the Stars, Forever, When I Saw You, and Looking In are songs you will hear over and over again. There's a beautiful cover of the Journey hit, Open Arms. The album closer Looking In is such a haunting and brutally open song, "Well here I am for all of them to bleed but they can't take my heart from me, and they can't bring me to my knees, they'll never know the real me." The song I Am Free took me awhile to like it but it has a great message. Hits like Always be my Baby and Fantasy should have you jumping for joy, very catchy and addictive. It's really sad that Mariah doesn't make pop albums anymore, she's too busy churning out pathetic hip-hop albums with her rapper posse doing all the work for her. I highly recommend Daydream, and her previous albums: Mariah Carey, Emotions, MTV Unplugged,...

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING!!!, 11 Dec 2003
This review is from: Daydream (Audio CD)
Mariah is definatley the best artist in my opinion. This album in cludes some remarkable highlights of her career. Fantasy is a very club friendly song which you will just love(it was the first female artist single to enter the US charts at number one), "Forever" is a beautiful ballad that gives we Mariah fans what we long for and "Underneath The Stars" is very sweet and romantic. "Always Be My Baby" is a fantastic song with Mariahs voice on top form and a very singalong vibe. "One Sweet Day" is a very powerful ballad with Boys 2 Men who give this song just the push it needs, this song will blow you away. "Open Arms" is great with Mariah giving it her all(as she always does). Also "Looking In" is a very good song, a sad ballad but a good one.
There aren't any rotten songs here just songs like "Melt Away" which don't make as good an impression as "Fantasy". A FANTASTIC album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album ever !!!!!!!!!!!, 29 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Daydream (Audio CD)
This is honestly the best album i've ever bought. It has R n B, pop, soul, gospel and loads more styles in the mix!!! The lyrics are fantastic and are extremelly uplifting. There are so many stand out tracks on this album i can't name them all( the whole album). But my favourite song ever is held on this album- 'Melt Away'. It's completely fantastic and sexy. I would recommend this album to anyone as it beats all of her other albums( and reminds me of america).I advise you to buy this straight away if this isn't already in your c.d classic's pile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mariah at her prime, 29 Nov 2003
This review is from: Daydream (Audio CD)
this is the best albnum recordd in music history in my opinion, it is an amazing recording, and am shocked it never won a grammy, the vocie is amazing and the songs and lyrics, as far as im concerned Mariah Carey was te best vocalist and lyricist of all time, it is an example of what the music industry should be, a voice, not looks, and mariah haqd it all,
1) fantasy 10/10 this song is an amazing song, and it always reminds me of the old skool mariah, in the video she was at a fiarground on a rollcoster, and it hit number 1 in the US. an amazing fun dance song.
2) undernath the stars 10/10- again an amazing chilled song, and relaxing lyrics " i imagines i was yours and you were mine, underneath the stars" an amazing ballad,
3) One sweet day 10/10 the lonest US number 1 single of all time, being number 1 for an amazing 16 weeks, a colabaration with boyz 2 men, an amazing ballad, about knowing somone in heaven is waiting for you " and i knwo youe shinging down on me from heaven, like so many freinds we've lost along our way"
4) open arms- 10/10 an amazing cover version, mariah has always been known to put the E in Emotion, and in this song she demonstrates it the most, she makes it ehr own like the covers she's done i.e without you, she whispers and uses her high owerfull vocals towards the end, a piano ballad with mariah's vocals, what more could you want?
5) Always be my baby- 10/10 another number 1 hit for Mariah, an amazing chilled song, one of her classics, the video featured her swinging on a swing above a lake. she doesn't go overboard with the vocals on this one.
6) 10/10- I am free- im not exagiratingh with the 10/10 marks but this is amazing, the lyrics are amazing, for anyone that's been through security, " once i was a prisoner, and now i am free" you've got to here it, should ahev been a single.
7) 9/10 another amazing ballad, using 7th chords, a bit too repetitive
8) long ago 7/10 this song is average imo.
9) melt away - 10/10 another amazing ballad
10) forver 10/10 an amazing song, didn't reahc number 1 , reminds me of something from greese,
11) daydream interlude 2/10 what's the point?
12) looking in 11/10 this is the best song on the album, its haunting, and one of mariah's bext ever song.
i feel sorry for mariah, she's the biggest selling female artist of the 1990's and the worlsd, and now with charmbraclet 3 million is a struggle, i haev fait she'll make a great comeback, andeven if she's never the same, she always will be the best singer of our generation, in her prime vident on this album, plz buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Daydream by Mariah Carey, 30 May 2005
This review is from: Daydream (Audio CD)
The album Daydream is easily one of Mariah's best albums. It is her sixth from the year 1995. Not only did the album top the UK Charts, it topped the US Charts for a lengthy ten weeks. The singles that came from the album were all top ten hits in the UK, Fantasy and Open Arms charted at No.4, whereas One Sweet Day charted at No.6 and Always Be My Baby, charted at a respectful No.3. In the US, Fantasy, One Sweet Day and Always Be My Baby were all No.1's for Mariah - One Sweet Day stayed at No.1 for a extremely lengthy sixteen weeks!
Fantasy 10/10
Melt Away 10/10
Forever 10/10
Daydream Interlude (Fantasy Sweet Dub Mix) 10/10
Looking In 10/10
Mariah is excellent vocally and her songwriting is great, too. This is easily one of Mariah's best albums and a treat if you are a Mariah Carey fan.

Daydream
Daydream by Mariah Carey (Audio CD - 2004)