5.0 out of 5 stars Fire, passion and great voices

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire, passion and great voices, 28 Sept. 2008
Ralph Moore "Ralph operaphile" (Bishop's Stortford, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mascagni: Cavalleria Rusticana (Audio CD)
This has long been my favourite studio recording of "Cavalleria" although it rarely gets a mention by the critics. You could not find three more grand, passionate and italianate voices than those of Simionato, Del Monaco and Cornell MacNeil, all in their prime in 1961, under the baton of the greatest post-war Italian opera conductor, Tullio Serafin. This is as authentic a performance as you could hope to encounter. There are plenty of other excellent recordings of this opera, including Serafin's earlier version with Callas and Di Stefano, Karajan's with Cossotto and Bergonzi, and Erede's 1957 set with the dream team of Tebaldi, Bjorling and Bastianini - all feature wonderful singing with Italian orchestras and casts, but I find myself coming back to this one for its sheer raw energy and passion. Many swear by the more recent Levine recording with Scotto and Domingo; it is very dramatic and beautifully played, but, despite her histrionic abilities, Scotto's raw top bothers me, Pablo Elvira's Alfio is ordinary and a little under-powered, and Levine does not bestow upon this music the last ounce of flexibility and affection it ultimately requires and thus the Intermezzo does not "swoon" as it should. This version conducted by Serafin is available at bargain price and will not disappoint unless you are averse to the "can belto" verismo style employed by the protagonists and need something more refined like Karajan's approach - but for me, this will do fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Content Great, Sound Quality Dubious, 19 July 2011
This review is from: Mascagni: Cavalleria Rusticana (Audio CD)
I understand there are purists out there who love the hiss and crackle of vinyl etc but I am not one of them. I buy CD's or MP3's for their clarity of sound. I love to listed to opera at high volume where appropriate but the sound quality of this CD does not permit that. There is a lot of background hissing so the crescendo needs to be listened to at low volume really. A shame as for me it does spoil the effect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cavalleria Rusticana, 17 May 2011
This review is from: Mascagni: Cavalleria Rusticana (Audio CD)
The speed of delivery of this item was exceptional, well done Amazon. It is a lovely piece of music. I first heard it on the Godfather 3 film and was enthralled by it's passion. Open a nice bottle of Italian wine, sit down in a quiet room and listen....Mascagni is a genius. I defy anyone not to be moved with emotion while listening to it. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars mascagni, 28 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Mascagni: Cavalleria Rusticana (Audio CD)
This opera is outstanding and yet largely neglected these days. I fear if it wasn't for Godfather 3 it would largely be neglected. But I love the haunted melodies of this masterpiece.. Excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning in just about every way!, 9 Oct. 2011
os - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mascagni: Cavalleria Rusticana (Audio CD)
I have only just discovered this music, but what an experience it is. The every day tale of love, betrayal and death so beloved of opera is bought to life here by some sensational performances from the cast and of course the rousing music of Mascagni. Originally recorded in 1960, this is not a state of the art audiophile disc but it is defiantly sounds pretty good, in fact it is very listenable and dynamic indeed. This is a desert island disc and a great bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Great Great, 18 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Mascagni: Cavalleria Rusticana (Audio CD)
I loved, I really do.Iit was one of those thing you hear it on the radio than you go and buy the CD.
The best thing I did, I was not expecting for it to be tha good, actually it is excellent in every sense from the Soprano to
the famous Tenore, to the Baritono, there is nothing wrong with the music, it helps you relax and for me? I close my eyes and
dream, fantastic, I did not know I brilliant this Great Mascagni make you feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars rhap music, 6 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Mascagni: Cavalleria Rusticana (Audio CD)
bought it for the intermezzo, useful for funerals and pass the parcel
actually quite ok as a full opera - or half with pagliacci- saw both live many years ago

5.0 out of 5 stars An old favourite, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Mascagni: Cavalleria Rusticana (Audio CD)
I have always loved this opera and this CD is not in any way a disappointment. My husband and I have enjoyed it very much

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Mar. 2015
perfect thanks

2.0 out of 5 stars Choir not audible, 11 Nov. 2013
Erdem Karaadam (Istanbul, Turkey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mascagni: Cavalleria Rusticana (Audio CD)
I purchased this item in order to get more familiar with the choir parts in it, as I am gong to sing it in a few months. And what do you expect? Even if I know the score by heart, and expect to hear the tenors, sopranos on particular timings, I can hear them only if I pump the volume knob too high! To cut it short, this CD did not serve my purpose, and I find the overall recording quality poor.

Mascagni: Cavalleria Rusticana
Mascagni: Cavalleria Rusticana by Pietro Mascagni (Audio CD - 1999)