‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and uplifting, 1 Aug 2002
This review is from: Mi Tierra (Audio CD)
I have long been a fan of Gloria Estefan's English language music but I never fully appreciated her voice or talent until I listened to this amazing CD, sung in her native tongue.
Thankfully the inner sleeve contains a full translation of all the songs, which give the non-Spanish speaker an insight into the beauty of the language and the passion behind Estefan's singing.
There are two notable highlights on this album, the amazing Mi Tierra title track which gets you dancing within the first few beats and the romantic balland Mi Buen Amour, which is perfect for relaxing two.
Estefan's voice complements all songs on this album perfectly and I would recommend Mi Tierra to salsa dancers and music lovers everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best albums of music I have heard in my life! Could anybody not like this?, 13 Sep 2005
This review is from: Mi Tierra (Audio CD)
Gloria Estefan aimed this album at spanish speaking people hoping that other people would like it too.They did.If you want to hear music that has everything going for it,Mi Tierra is for you.The lyrics and singing are beautiful,the music is from heaven and any clouds above Cuba - Gloria's homeland - no doubt have formed from the smoke of hoardes of people contentedly smoking cigars as they listen to this masterwork.The booklet that comes with the cd has the lyrics in English and Spanish and interestingly Gloria says that much of the Spanish is Cuban slang that even Spaniards wouldn't be familiar with.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-buy for all fans of latin music, 21 Sep 2001
Christine L (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mi Tierra (Audio CD)
I bought this album for one reason, I love the song 'Mi Tierra', I could listen to it over and over and over... However, having already listened to Alma Caribena a million times and loving it, I soon fell in love with the rest of this album as well. Apart from the above mentioned song, I can't say that I have any favourite, the album as a whole feels very complete and all songs work well with each other. If you're mildly into latin music you'll love this one!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Real Cuba, 14 April 2001
This review is from: Mi Tierra (Audio CD)
If you want to experience traditional Afro-cuban music, this is ideal. Personally I think it's Gloria Estefan's best ever album. It's a good mixture of energetic dance music and romantic Spanish songs. And the instrumental backing is fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Spanish Lily, 11 Jan 2003
This review is from: Mi Tierra (Audio CD)
The lovely shot of Gloria your looking at is not misleading. The music inside is just as beautiful as the artist. Gloria has long used Spanish music to let her artistic soul flourish and this is her luxuriant masterpiece. This album is filled with beauty. If you love music and you want to hear the best of what it has to offer then this is a perfect place to start.
Once the beautiful "With the Years that I have Left" starts we are transported to an elegant and exotic club somewhere in South America. The glossy hardwood counters are polished to perfection and the cherry finish complements the sego palms nicely as wine glasses are filled with only the best.
Gloria's rich and emotional voice surrounds the room and is backed by a lush orchestra and breezy Spanish guitars. So great is this Spanish Lily we can feel Gloria moving around the room in this opulent club and smiling as she passes by our small table. The songs move from love of one's homeland to romantic love lost, waiting, and everything in-between.
Gloria fills this room with her magical phrasing of a beautiful language. We hear so many wonderful songs we dare not leave and miss a moment. There are songs of forgiveness and hope, and songs of true love and hanging on 'till the one lost to you returns. One song, the light and playful "Si Senor!", has a whole Andrew Sisters kind of sound and feel to it.
One of the prettier songs we hear before our time in this Spanish paradise is over is "Volveras" (You'll Be Back). Gloria knows the man she has given her heart to who now wants to foolishly leave her for another will be back because he can't erase her memory. But we know it's only a song. No one would be foolish enough to leave this Spanish flower.
The night is almost over and we must return to our hotel. But what we've seen and heard has enriched and expanded our world. We want to come back once in awhile to feel like this again. Lucky for us we own this little keepsake of our time with Gloria in Spanish paradise...

4.0 out of 5 stars The original Latino music album!!!!, 25 Nov 2000
This review is from: Mi Tierra (Audio CD)
This album started the latino music frenzy for me. It is sultry, smooth and yet very danceable. IF you want to enjoy a Latino party this should be top of your list. Until you have danced to Mi Tierra... you have not danced to modern latino music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Latin music at it's best, 25 July 2002
This review is from: Mi Tierra (Audio CD)
Perhaps someone should tell Gloria Estefan that her Spanish music is about 10,000 times better than her English stuff.
There's not one dull moment on the whole album- from lively cuban influenced dance to slow and beautiful ballads (all in her fist language, Spanish).
The lyrics are also excellent- the translations are in the booklet for everyone who can't speak the language of love.
Don't be fooled by Gloria's awful cheesy english music, "Mi Tierra" is one of my all time favourites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful indeed, 21 May 2014
This review is from: Mi Tierra (Audio CD)
I absolutely love this CD, what wonderful music from Gloria Estefan. I took me a while, it's not as danceable and exciting as Abruendo puertas but eventually the music and songs have much more impact. Con los anos que me quedan (first song) will stay with me forever, there are few days when it doesn't play in my mind. The CD is a mixture of melancholy, joy, celebration and passion. A very grown up CD with lovely music. A favorite!

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably Gloria Estefan's best work, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Mi Tierra (Audio CD)
Superb melodies on this album. And I don't even understand a word of Spanish! But forget the words - its about the music. If you like salsa, you have to add this to your collection. Its foot-stomping good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Her best work ever, 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: Mi Tierra (Audio CD)
My sister loved Gloria in the 1980s, I have to admit to really thinking she was pants. It wasn't until the late 1990s when starting to join the Salsa groups I came accross this album. It is brilliant, her voice the arrangements and the Cuban feel so, so lyrical and charming. Every song is different, contagious and listenable too, I know commerical demands in the pop world demand English but this work is much more interesting and I have gained a lot of respect for this artist.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Mi Tierra
Mi Tierra by Gloria Estefan (Audio CD - 2002)