5.0 out of 5 stars Dreamy and laid-back
If you like 1970s Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze, you'll positively LOVE this mainly guitar-based album which manages to sound like the smooth 70s synthesiser releases from the above. To me, it is evocative of long, carefree summer nights. Even if you didn't ever explore the synth. groups or have these summer memories, this album might convince you that you did!
Published on 15 Nov. 2004 by Barry Lees

2.0 out of 5 stars Over-rated non-classic
Sorry but having listened to masses of new age music not to mention every other type of music imaginable from heavy metal to opera I have to say that this album is disappointing and unimaginitive. There are many far better albums than this in the genre. Be careful of the sound samples because sometimes as with this album you don't realise how drawn out and repetitive...
Published on 18 Aug. 2009 by Savita

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreamy and laid-back, 15 Nov. 2004
Barry Lees (Greenock, Strathclyde Scotland) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Under-rated classic, 24 Sept. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: New Age Of Earth (Audio CD)
New Age of Earth is an often overlooked classic. It is fashionable to rate the early Ashra Tempel albums ahead of this, but to be honest this is a superior work - gone are the wilder experimental pieces and in their place are lengthy mood pieces. The sound is a glistening surface, underlaid with pulsing rhythms similar to mid period Tangerine Dream. Ideal music to carry you away somewhere else. When the guitar finally enters the music on 'Nightdust' it almost brings a tear to the eye.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album ever?, 4 Aug. 2002
P. Dunhill "suddick" (Newport) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Age of Earth (Audio CD)
That hoary old chestnut - "what is your favourite album ever?". Much as I am averse to all that I must admit that this album is the one that always springs to mind. So - best album ever, then. Manuel Gottsching's synth and guitar work is exquisite throughout but reaches a climax on the final 21 minute cut, Nightdust. This seminal piece bridges the acid-fuelled freakout of the earlier Ash Ra Tempel and the more sedate meanderings of later Ashra but manages to combine the best of both. Leaves me with a shiver down the spine every time, and you can't ask for any more than that.
PS - my kids call it "space rocket music".

4.0 out of 5 stars Dreamy, 11 April 2000
This review is from: New Age of Earth (Audio CD)
If you like Tangerine Dream, but would prefer them to be a little more ambient and relaxing - "New Age of Earth" is a damn good album to get hold of. It's written, produced and performed entirely by guitarist/keyboardist Manuel Gottsching and is an asset to his talents. Highly commended.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUBLIME. Just buy and enjoy!, 20 July 2006
DSR (out beyond the sticks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: New Age Of Earth (Audio CD)
Manuel Goettsching (Ashra) has composed and played some great, gentle melodic, synth and guitar music with real heart and soul, certainly in later years. Even the heavier stuff has a sense of passion to it.

I remember the night in 1977 when, as part of Queen Elizabeth's Siver Jubilee, all the beacons were once again lit across Great Britain. Our local venue was at Ivinghoe Beacon and, as we waited fifty minutes to exit the car park afterwards, I tuned to the John Peel show on Radio 1 (We owe the late great Mr Peel such a HUGE debt of gratitude). A quite sublime track was played which even my "traditional" Dad quite liked. This track was DEEP DISTANCE from this album. I was hooked on Ashra's music thereafter....

The whole album, especially this aforementioned track, sums up long hot Summer days and evenings, sitting on top of a tall hill (like at Ivinghoe, which has views of several counties) and just letting go into the vibe created just by being there.....

If I was to complile a Top Twenty of favourite tracks/pieces of music over my fifty + years of life (and beyond), I'd find it almost impossible. One of the tracks that would sum up my deep love of seventies synthesiser based music would be Deep Distance, so evocative and beautiful in its own way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, space music brilliance!, 12 Mar. 2014
This review is from: New Age Of Earth (Audio CD)
I feel the title 'New age of Earth' has thrown people off guard a little. On one hand there are perhaps people who have discovered Ashra via the Krautrock scene (Manuel Gottschings works with Ash Ra Tempel for example). On the other hand, there's the rather misleading implication that this is a new-age album. In truth, this album sounds like a mix of ambient, krautrock, electronic and yes, perhaps a splash of new-age. It could also be seen perhaps as a link between 'Berlin-School' style electronics and ambient (think Klaus Schulze).

Regardless of classification, this album provides me with one of the best space music experiences out there; perfect for late night listens with headphones. However, this album is so much more diverse because it lacks the darker brooding sounds of similar artists. Instead it has a warm, laid-back sound that reminds me of late summer evenings, or distant nostalgia. I also feel that unlike many ambient albums that simply provide textural music, this album has tracks that 'go somewhere'. 'Deep distance' for example builds and builds to a truly euphoric climax while 'Ocean Of Tenderness' ebbs gently, gradually becoming a deep throb accompanied by gentle guitars.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Age? Not., 9 Jun. 2014
L. Wallis - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Age Of Earth (MP3 Download)
Title notwithstanding, it's worrying that some reviewers of this album are looking for / compare it with 'New Age' music, a catch-all genre that has sadly attracted some of the most soulless, unimaginative and cliched 'mood' music ever made. Adjectives that thankfully can't be applied to this classic 1976 album by German guitarist / electronic music pioneer Manuel Göttsching. (Ashra was the name of his solo project). More accurately this belongs to the 'early electronic' genre. Sonically the album has a lot of high frequency sounds which are heightened when listening through modern tinny computer speakers, so do make sure you give it a listen on a quality system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric at its best, 25 Aug. 2004
Tim JP (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Age Of Earth (Audio CD)
Ashra's masterpiece is this four track gem of an album. It transports you to another (slightly German) world of atmospheres and soundscapes. The perfect complement to a darkened room, a few glasses of wine and perhaps some other things.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime!, 7 Aug. 2006
DSR (out beyond the sticks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: New Age of Earth (Audio CD)

If I was to complile a Top Twenty of favourite tracks/pieces of music over my nearly fifty years of life (and beyond), I'd find it almost impossible. One track though, would sum up my deep love of seventies synthesiser based music and that would be Deep Distance, so evocative and beautiful in its own way.

P.S. I'm getting really confused by the number of sources worldwide for various album titles on Amazon UK. I understand now that this was released as an ASHRA TEMPEL title in Europe. However, in the UK, it was an ASHRA album. As to which version is "the best sounding", I really haven't a clue. I suspect the main difference on this album would be background hiss being lower on the "best" transfers...

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreamlike, 20 Oct. 2012
This review is from: New Age Of Earth (Audio CD)
One of my all time favourite albums.
I was in my teenage years in the 70s and was spoilt for bands at that time.

But this particular album was just a bit different.
To this day still use it to chill out and relax.
It is a timeless dreamlike experience.

I like to lie down, fit a pair of headphones and disappear into the music.
You will not regret this purchase.

New Age Of Earth
New Age Of Earth by Ashra (Audio CD - 1990)