5.0 out of 5 stars have to disagree with previous reviewer
Published on 4 May 2007 by Graham Stephenson

3.0 out of 5 stars Vintage blues for the connoisseur
"Skip" James - the nickname came from schoolfriends due to his dancing ability - was one of many blues players and singers from the 1920's and 1930's who was "rediscovered" during the folk music boom of 1960's America. I came across references to Skip James' unique guitar playing in a guitar tutor book, and decided to purchase this title.
I would...
Published on 8 Dec 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars have to disagree with previous reviewer, 4 May 2007
Graham Stephenson "graham_7979" (Lancashire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devil Got My Woman (Audio CD)
Does blues music have to be melodic and tuneful? Is it blues if it is? I enjoyed every track on this just as I did with Skip James Today! 22-20 is a tremendous song and performance. I accept that some might find the falsetto off putting-by the same token I find it haunting and appealing. James is distinctive not just because of his guitar playing but also because of the 'off-putting' voice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Vintage blues for the connoisseur, 8 Dec 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Devil Got My Woman (Audio CD)
I would have to say that, whilst I quite like the CD, it isn't one of my favourites. Part of the reason for this is Skip's frequent use of falsetto singing, which I find a little offputting. My personal preference, too, is for fairly melodic blues, and some of the tunes on this CD are not particularly tuneful.
BUT... just listen to some of the tracks! The guitar sound (due largely to the unusual tuning that James adopted) is quite haunting. There is a lovely riff on "Worried blues" that simply gets to you. "Catfish blues" is another great song. And "Careless love" on which Skip James accompanies himself on the piano is a lively, rollicking tune.
I can't say I love every track of this CD to be truthful, and would recommend it to the person who is already familiar with country blues. Having said that, the great tracks - and you might prefer different ones to me - really are worth the price of the CD!

Devil Got My Woman
Devil Got My Woman by Skip James (Audio CD - 1998)