5.0 out of 5 stars Shimmer and shine

Published on 8 Dec 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Shimmer and shine, 25 Nov 2002
D. Johnson "Bluemoonjohnson" (Manchester, Engalnd) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Four Calendar Cafe (Audio CD)
Only the Cocteaus could have made this record, and a thousand ambient fools with racks of plug-in effects, and software coming out of their ears, can only dream of a spirit so sublime. Whilst it's nice to hear a little of Liz in Lord of the Rings, I still miss them. To me, this was actually their finest hour, when they opened up, and let some of the light shine into the darker corners. If you're under thirty, you may never even of heard of them. If you like Air (no ambient fools they), etc. and would like to hear colours and lights that somehow seem to belong only to you, then buy this record, and learn to fall in love again.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely gorgeous album and certainly not forgettable., 4 Jun 2006
This review is from: Four Calendar Cafe (Audio CD)
This album is, in my opinion, stunning. I can honestly say that it's probably *not* representative of their other works but this does not mean it's a bad thing. Forgettable? I play this on a regular basis in my car and it's always a joy to listen to. The melodies are exquisite with beautiful soaring vocals. I got this album on the basis of 'Evangeline' which featured on a compilation I had. I would say that this typifies the feel for the album but the undoubted star is the oddly named squeeze-wax. Although the first few chords are hackneyed, it launches into a most delightful song. On many of the tracks, listen to the multi-layered vocals which are more apparent if you listen through headphones. Fantastic. I think the other observation that needs to be mentioned is that there are some similarities to The Sundays', Reading, Writing And Arithmetic album - with a similar overall style so if you liked that album, I'm sure you'll like this one. I have to say that I also brought 'Head over heels' and 'Heaven or Las Vegas' on the basis of Calendar shortly afterwards. Try as I might, I simply cannot get into Head Over Heels which has a darker feel to it. Heaven Or Las Vegas is not too bad although, in my opinion, nowhere near as good as Calendar. It's fair to say that, had I brought these first, I would probably have never got another Cocteau Twins album. I'm not saying that the style of these two albums is a bad thing as I know a lot of people prefer that style. However, I am of the opinion that 'calendar' is considered a blip by some Cocteau fans ( as I referred to above ) but other music fans may well prefer this album to their others. Having promised never to get another Cocteau album, I gave in and got Treasure. This seems to lie in between Calendar and the Heaven and I will certainly give this more time. To sum up, Calendar is a truly wonderful album, probably not representative of their other works, but one that certainly deserves not to be forgotten and for people who liked the first Sundays album ( but maybe not the rest).

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless Beauty, 19 Sep 2008
This review is from: Four Calendar Cafe (Audio CD)
Four Calendar Cafe is that rarest of creatures: a perfect album - a collection of finely produced songs delivered by a group at the top of their game. The music, as ever with the Cocteaus, has an other-worldly quality. The singing is angelic and is accompanied by multi-layered reverb-soaked guitar, backed by an understated rhythm section. Every track is excellent but the highlights are: "Bluebeard", which achieves a kind of pop perfection most groups can only dream about; the infectiously exuberant "Squeeze-wax"; the seraphicly beautiful "My Truth"; and "Summerhead", an up-tempo pop song of Mozartian tunery. Add this album to your collection today - it will no doubt become a favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars scaling the peak, 3 Oct 2007
This review is from: Four Calendar Cafe (Audio CD)
This is one of those rare albums that immediately struck me on first hearing as being something new unlike anything I'd heard before. This partiular album (and granted it probably could have been any number of them) has mixed reviews here which is not surprising as this, along with the very similar Heaven or Las Vegas, is quite a departure from the Cocteau's more indie beginnings. But for me this is their peak and the perfect compromise between the earlier albums and the more middle of the road latter period albums. Great melodies, ghostly vocals, superb production, and some fantastically catchy tunes.....nice cover too (it's nice to see some artists and labels still take great care over the whole package). Beginners start here.....if you want more of the same afterwards try Heaven or Las Vegas, and then for something more new wave (80s sounding) and baser go for Treasure. That about covers it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem in the Cocteau Calendar, 28 Oct 2003
This review is from: Four Calendar Cafe (Audio CD)
After Heaven or Las Vegas and Blue Bell Knoll, which I loved, I next bought Milk and Kisses, which was not really as good as the first two, although still a reasonable album. I then bought this one - and Four Calendar Cafe re-affirmed my belief that the Cocteau Twins make some of the best and most amazing music around!
There's not a track I don't like on this one - it's up there with HOLV and BBK in my book!
The music is swirling and crystal clear, with inventive vocals, chimimg guitars and all just a little bit out of the ordinary. The tracks I like the best are Squeeze Wax (fabulous!) and Bluebeard, with Evangeline coming close. But all are unique and stand frequent listens.
I strongly recommend this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cocteau twins cd, 10 Sep 2012
This review is from: Four Calendar Cafe (Audio CD)
Great classic cd fom 80s and was great find.
Brought back happy memories from university.
This is a great classic, who sadly are no

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice try... but not quite., 24 Jun 2000
This review is from: Four Calendar Cafe (Audio CD)
This was the follow up to the truely wonderful Heaven Or Las Vegas and so would always strugle to reach the heights of that recording. However this is still a great album to own for those nights when thre rest of your collection simply winds you up.
It contains all the hallmark sounds and angelic vocals you'd expect and has some real high points, namely Squeeze Wax and Evangeline. However, the tracks or not quite as memorable as those on Heaven Or Las Vegas.
Still, it's worth the investment and sounds fantastic when played after a particularly rubbish day.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cocteau's Last Stand, 8 Dec 2005
This review is from: Four Calendar Cafe (Audio CD)
The Cocteau Twins produced some sublime music during their fourteen year-or-so lifetime, but this is one of their weakest releases. It has none of the outlandishness of their early work, or the sheer aural invention of their mid-period. In trying to appeal to a 'pop'sensibility, they lost it big-time. I saw their tour in 1993 on which they played the bulk of this album, and it was instantly forgettable. I would recommend 'Blue Bell Knoll' and 'Victorialand' for Cocteau beginners - albums which still shimmer many years on.

2.0 out of 5 stars Please listen to their earlier music, 18 Oct 2002
This review is from: Four Calendar Cafe (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong, I've listened to them for years and, although their sound has developed into a distinctive 'Cocteau' style [more so since they left the 4AD label], it's not one of their best releases. For me, nothing stands out on the album. It's not as mainstream as the "Heaven or Las Vegas" album and certainly not as pure as their eighties music. This is one for the collector.

Four Calendar Cafe
Four Calendar Cafe by Cocteau Twins (Audio CD - 2001)