5.0 out of 5 stars blu ray 5.1 HDMA absolutely Stunning!!!!!
I basically bought (Well demanded it for my birthday from my wife) this set for the Blu ray HDMA version. Its a lot of money to spend just for the blu ray but it sounds sooo good on my lovely system. I actually like the whole box set and its a nice collectors item to have.

Published 5 months ago by Mr B J Page

1.0 out of 5 stars What A let down on Vinyll !!!!
Was really looking forward to receiving this on vinyl - however I was very disappointed the vinyl them selves looked fine except for some fine scratches on side A, that was not to bad the stylus didn't pick these up, but what it did pick up was just how noisey this record is, so much so that you can hear it over the music yes I know vinyl is not that silent but I have...
Published 3 months ago by Largy64

5.0 out of 5 stars blu ray 5.1 HDMA absolutely Stunning!!!!!, 24 Feb. 2015

Back to the Blu ray. Its breath taking. I have been listening to this album for over 20 years and i am only now hearing it as it was intended. Sound quality, separation, surround immersion are amazing. Its almost like listening to a different album.

Ive never heard "ring a ring a roses" half way through "take it back" before. it took me by surprise. spooky!!! i then listened to the original cd and it is on there but not so obvious. never noticed it..

I use to love the album but thought there were one or two week tracks. Now with the blu ray, its a different grade. No week tracks what so ever. Every track is just stunning. e.g.. Poles apart- trippy atom heart mother bit (2min 50ish in) is amazing. wearing the inside out- backing singers sound amazing, sax at the beginning is lovely and guitaring at the end sounds stunning,

First listen, i thought they had got it wrong by not using the centre channel but by doing this the spacial multi channel image is staggering. It sounds like there is an orchestra in my living room at some points with backing singers breathing down my neck!!!!!!

can't get enough of it!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking....Amazing.....Masterpiece, 1 Aug. 2002
This review is from: The Division Bell (Audio CD)
I can't understand how people can say this album is a failure.
This album is unbelievable. It's an achievment that I doubt will ever be matched. It is undoubtably the best Floyd Album by far. There may not be as many stand out tracks as in some Floyd work but the whole album blends perfectly to create something so beautiful that you are totally overwhelmed by the whole thing. It's not music, with individual songs; it is in fact a perfect mixture of instruments and sounds that create an experience quite unlike anything else.
There's something about this album that makes you keep coming back. When you're in a reflective mood this album will literally break you down into tears. The mix of acoustic guitars and the classic soft but powerful Floyd solos executed by David Gilmour flood you with emotion.
This album got me through some tough times and it could do the same for you. Just be prepared to cry at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars [16/22]...Album Concept.......Keep Talking!, 18 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Division Bell (Audio CD)
[16]...Written by Gilmour/Wright with input from Mason & session bassist, Guy Pratt who was seeing Richard Wright's daughter, Gala Wright at this time, later in 1996 they married.... & Lyrically co-written by David Gilmour's newly betrothed, Polly Samson,....'The Division Bell' is a return to form, particularly for Richard Wright..... It is a definite improvement from the David Gilmour led PF debut album of seven years ago, which was attributed to the trio; Gilmour/Wright/Mason.....Question mark!

They actually did work together on this one, but only just, for Richard Wright was still not contractually a full member of the band, although frustrated by that, he continued, & in the end received his first writing credit with PF since the 1975 'Wish you were here' album...He actually sings his first PF lead vocal on 'Wearing the inside out' since TDSOTM' album, back in 1973.

'The Division Bell' is Pink Floyd back at their very best... It contains some outstanding tracks & is well worth listening too...

5.0 out of 5 stars Poor reviews undeserved, 14 April 2011
This review is from: The Division Bell (Audio CD)
On music websites, as well as on Wikipedia, you will read very poor reviews about this album. As with many great bands, fans of the first minute tend to turn their backs on them over the years when band members leave and/or the sound evolves. This is a natural tendency and has more to do with nostalgia (life was indeed great when we were young) than with the quality of the music.

I am all but a long-time fan of Pink Floyd, and my first contact with this band must have been around 2001, long after this album came out. In fact, it is my father who is an old fan. So, unburdened by nostalgia to the old Pink Floyd and youthful nights in the 1970s, what do I think of this album? It's wonderful! It blew me away, and in my opinion it can easily compete with old Pink Floyd stuff like Dark Side of the Moon and Animals. I'm not good at describing the atmosphere of music, but this is definitely my favourite album to put on in the car, when you're driving home late at night and it's raining.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 16 Nov. 2014
Scott MacGregor "lemonmonkey" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
On first listen to this album around ten years ago, i took this album for granted along with dark side of the moon in my discovery of Pink Floyd, tunes like Comfortably Numb, Wish You Were Here and Atom Heart Mother are great stand out tracks from other albums but this album as a whole is an amazing collection of songs and as time goes on, i cherish it more and more. I am not a huge fan of The Wall although it has exceptional tracks on it, and Momentary Lapse of Reason does nothing for me really. I still regard the best track on the album as Poles Apart, and its easily one of my favourite Floyd tracks, the euphoric rise at the end is very uplifting. If i were to rate floyd albums, it'd be a toss up between Meddle, DSOTM, and The Division Bell at the top, but the fact this album for me competes with the other two is a great achievement for an album many overlooked and disregarded when it came out

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I remembered, 19 Nov. 2014
I. P. Gearing (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I have been a Floyd fan - that's Pink, not Keith - for four decades or more, which probably makes me mean average age for the purchasers of this album. I bought it (again) because my original purchase is in a corner of the house somewhere gathering dust and because I bought the Endless River, or Division Bell Part II as a lot of people have it and certainly playing these back to back, as I now have them set up, there is a seamless quality across the two albums. Not my favourite Floyd album but certainly far from my least favourite too. The quality of the musicianship is excellent and I always did like Pink Floyd for the soaring instrumentals as much, if not more so than the, lyrics - but know rather more than I should off by heart. This is actually better than I remembered it, even though little played for the last couple of years, even if it still is closer to easy-listening-Pink Floyd than the great and more challenging albums like Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and the Wall.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Hopes: The Division Bell Vinyl 2014, 15 July 2014
P. Kelly (UK) - See all my reviews
I had very 'high hopes' for this album release being on heavy weight vinyl over two records and it does not disappoint, absolute brilliant release. I still have my original copy but although the album itself was very well recorded, I was disappointed with the quality of the vinyl (had notable background noise in certain places from new: probably just unlucky).

The 2014 version is pressed on 2 X 194g vinyl (my copy weights) with heavy-weight cardboard cover and the records are housed in cardboard sleeves. No title on the front or lyric sheet sleeve as with my original. A little disappointing the lyric sheet is absent and assume you need to get the expensive box set to have this.

The records are perfectly flat and there is no detectable background noise. Really a wonderful pressing, I wish all new releases displayed this level of quality.

Compared to my original:

Record is louder on the same amp setting.
Sound-stage is more detailed, instruments and vocals have more clarity and space.
More defined bass (low end frequency) without any loss in high end frequency (certainly no detectable compression).
Lower back-ground noise from new, I think a better quality vinyl used,
Also the tracks are longer (spread out over 2 records), which is positive but personally it's not the major factor here for me.

In conclusion: a great reissue, sonic-wise in my opinion better than the original and therefore highly recommended. I am slightly disappointed that there is no lyric sheet included for the price but the quality of the pressing and music makes up for this. So no need to go looking for expensive second hand vinyl copies of the original, this is a brilliant release.

4.0 out of 5 stars Liquefies Your Mind!, 31 Aug. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Division Bell (Audio CD)
This is a truly exceptional album. Not only does it have eleven AMAZING Floyd tracks, but there are voices, sounds and soundbites hidden in different places on the album. The only way to find them all is to listen to it over and over and over....
Which you'll want to do anyway!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very suitable end to a magnificent career, 10 Feb. 2012
Mr. C. J. Waldron "mhsob" (UK & Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Division Bell (Audio CD)
I have all Floyd cd's and have adored their music from the very beginning. The Division Bell to me is a great final hoorah to one of the greatest bands the world will ever know. Much better than "lapse of reason", perhaps because of the obvious stronger influence of the late great Richard Wright. For me, Floyds most seminal moments have almost always involved his subtle, and less subtle contributions. When Gilmour and Wright are working together, it's Floyd at its best. Like all great Floyd cd's, this is one that you just have to listen to from start to finish because of the brilliant way it flows to a fabulous final ending ..... and then start all over again. Thanks for the music Pink Floyd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!!!, 3 Oct. 2003
This review is from: The Division Bell (Audio CD)
This has to go down as one of the best Floyd albums ever written. Dating from 1994 well after the departure of Roger Waters, this is the second studio album with David Gilmour as the lead man. It is the heavy side of Pink Floyd with all guitars , drums and Daves powerful voice blazing away.
The opening track is an instrumental - Cluster 1, very keyboard orientated, leads nicely into 'What do you want from me'. You suddenly realize why you bought this album when the guitar solo starts- for me thats the beauty of Pink Floyd the guitar solos from Dave Gilmour. This song is very hard-hitting with its powerful lyrics.
A slightly more swing style is adopted in Poles Apart. Following this is the magnificent Marooned. I first heard this moving instrumental on Echoes- the best of P.F., in an abbreviated form. What you've got here is a piece to move you to tears.
A great day for freedom is not one of the best tracks on the album, but makes way for possibly my favourite- Wearing the inside out. This emotional ballad- like piece, with its moaning saxophone and haunting lyrics is one that not everyone will enjoy- but definately my favourite.
A more commercial stance is taken on the next track- Take it back, with a song that could have come out of U2's back catalogue. This segues into the gentle 'Coming back to life'. Another maybe more familiar track is Keep Talking- another classic rock song with a touch of genius by adding Steven Hawking to add naration.
This is then followed by Lost for words- maybe the best song on the album. Its not got heavy guitars and the chord sequence is simple but what a tune and great lyrics- you'll be singing this wherever you go.
The last song is a great way to end the album. High hopes is again powerful and thought-provoking.
This album is best listened to in the evening with the lights off, to chill out to. Perfect music.

The Division Bell
The Division Bell by Pink Floyd (Audio CD - 1994)