5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, Enchanting, Mesmorising
Published on 17 Jan 2002 by graham@bira.org.uk

1.0 out of 5 stars Please let me die now!
Published on 30 Oct 2006 by lobster

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, Enchanting, Mesmorising, 17 Jan 2002
This review is from: O Espirito da Paz (Audio CD)
Being someone who is open to world music, I took a chance on this in 1996. I did not need to worry. It is the finest example of pure musical pleasure I have ever heard. The hauntingly beautiful velvet voice of Teresa Salgueiro is matched by the effortless spanish guitars of Jose and Pedro. You will not find a bad track on this CD, but pay particular attention to O Mar ( The Sea ), this is one of the most haunting and mesmorising pieces of music I have ever heard anywhere. I cannot believe that this CD is the cheapest out of the Madredeus range. Buy it now, it is a bargain, I guarantee you will not be disappointed, I wasn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful masterpiece, 28 Sep 2008
This review is from: O Espirito Da Paz (Audio CD)
This is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard . It was playing in a restaurant in Nerja in 1996, I asked its title and went out and bought it the next day . Now it would be a certainty to take on to the desert island.

The title of the album and the cover give you a pretty good idea of what's coming.Relaxing , sensual and featuring Teresa's angelic voice alongside gentle acoustic guitars , its the perfect example of how listening to songs in a language you don't understand can be so rewarding and is one of the very few albums that I absolutely never tire of . I would recommend Madredeus to anyone but this is their masterpiece -its more classical and less fado/ folk than some of their later albums . It works as one piece of music to be listened to from start to finish - each track flows into the next - while tracks such as Ao Longe o Mar and As Core Do Sol will grace any playlist . Yes , you could say it's a little melancholic , but in a way that's uplifting . An absolute must for any collection , I would give it seven out of five if I could . Please , please ignore the guy who gave it one . Buy it, then recommend it to your friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 10 Jan 2010
Mr. Matthew G. Hart (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: O Espirito Da Paz (Audio CD)
This is just a fabulous cd. I ordered it after hearing it at a friends,a nd when mine came I found that it had an extra track - the amazing 'O Pastor', although the cd cover was identical, so look out for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 25 Nov 2014
excellent album

1.0 out of 5 stars Please let me die now!, 30 Oct 2006
This review is from: O Espirito da Paz (Audio CD)
I have heard quite a few excerpts from the talented group Madredeus over the years, and made many notes to myself to buy a CD. Eventually I did, but definitely made the wrong choice here. Instead of hearing the group singing their pleasant harmonies, and exploring traditional plain song and folk music, I got what can only be described as the "relaxation music of the damned". A female warbles endlessly and montonously a nearly tuneless tune. I found it not peaceful, but teeth-clenchingly annoying; the composer clearly just loved the same two chords over and over. I did not. I didn't get beyond the first four tracks, but maybe I'll try more another day.

If you want to buy a Madredeus album, I would sample a few first. "O Espirito da Paz" would not be my recommendation, unless I were asked by the US "spooks" to suggest an alternative to water torture.

O Espirito da Paz
O Espirito da Paz by Madredeus (Audio CD - 1998)