on 3 June 2008
Well,I just had a rant passing for a review on the entries for the "Scenes.."album,where among other things,I mentioned tha TGM were almost the soundtrack to my daughters birth,they are one of my all time favourite bands,and I still have my old copy of the "Ego" 12"(Since remembered-have the "Desertsongs" ep as well)and that I am going FRANTIC trying to track down a copy of the 2nd album,my own having gone awol along with most of my vinyl many moons ago.As yet,no re-issue..DAMN AND BLAST Fiction records or whoever now owns the back catalogue..Here in sunny Belfast,no-one 'cept my ex seems to have even heard of them,so I cant even get a burn of it!REVIEW:one of the great lost bands,the absence of their back catalogue from our shelves is a crime.
There y'go!I feel better now,I'm away home to look at my TGM poster,and imagine Im listening to this album.
on 31 March 2006
Debut album "Scenes From The 2nd Storey" saw them thrown into the Industrial genre pool along with Skinny Puppy, KMFDM and others, but this their second album transcends anything that could in anyway be classed Industrial.

Sparse, desolate, haunting and beautiful. "One Last Laugh In A Place Of Dying" is a fitting epitaph to one of the most original and overlooked bands of the early ninties and to the tragically early death of bassist Jimmy Fernandez. Death and loneliness haunt the recording. It is sad and dark but avoids morbidity. It lilts and flows along on cold, crisp riffs interspersed with jagged shards of rage. "You said life could be painless, well that's not what i found." You can hear the heartstrings snapping in anger and frustration.

This is one for moments of cool reflection when you just want to turn the lights off and bathe in the utter desolation of life continuing after death; I cannot recommend this album highly enough.

Thankfully there is a silver cloud to this document of woe, Robin Proper-Sheppard, the surviving half of the band, formed and is still recording with his band "Sophia." They are cooler and quieter but still well worth checking out.
55 comments|14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 March 2011
I described the first album as brilliant. And it is. But this takes the whole concept one step further. Gone are the massive crashing riffs from the first album full of fire and anger. This album still has fire but the sense of loss and despair would almost break your heart. I bought this album when it came out and was lucky to be able to find it. I had just moved down to Belfast where musical tastes were more mainstream. But I looked hard until I found it. I would advise anyone else to do the same.
on 4 March 2008
As the other review states, too true, one of the finest records in existence ever. This is possibly the most prized part of my music collection... and whatever this costs at the moment it's worth it, you just need to question why the hell is someone selling it in the first place?
on 22 August 2008
I bought both of the bands albums as they came out. Whilst the first is very good, this second is one of my all time favourate albums. I always thought they would have made it, but for the tragic death of the bass player.
Damn good live band as well I remember.
on 3 October 2013
Absolutely amazing band and music. Love it, love it, love it.
What more can I say, it`s very hard to find one and I was lucky enough to get it
on 7 November 2008
Bought this a coupla years after it came out and it's still up there. from sleeve to final second, a work of art.

buy it
on 28 February 2016
This is so powerful both musically and emotionally. One of the best albums ever written. RIP Jimmy.
on 5 February 2015