5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Oliver Album That Exists !!
Published on 14 Jan. 2009 by E. E. Stone

1.0 out of 5 stars Oliver
I returned this item as I ordered the wrong version soundtrack.I really wanted the 1968 version soundtrack so was disappointed at making this mistake.
Published 17 months ago by mac c

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Oliver Album That Exists !!, 14 Jan. 2009
E. E. Stone "esgirl42" (Hornchurch, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: oliver! (1960 London Cast) (Audio CD)
If you want to hear the Soundtrack of Oliver at it's very best, don't look at the rest just go for this one. There is not a singer/actress alive that has ever compared with Georgia Brown's performance of Nancy. Her version of As Long As He Needs Me is the most honest, truthful and vocally outstanding that you can get - sheer perfection. She was a true East End Girl (look her up on Wikipedia) and it really shows. She has a voice which is "true class" and for this show, second to none. I am an East End girl myself and have over the years heard quite a few versions of this song - trust me you will not be disappointed. As for Ron Moody - I do not need to say anything - history speaks for itself. Buy this CD. It is not the most expensive - it's a real bargain but truthfully it is the VERY VERY BEST, NO KIDDING !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oliver at its best, 12 Nov. 2008
C. FULLER (Brixham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: oliver! (1960 London Cast) (Audio CD)
For me there is only one recording of Oliver that works and this is it. I can remember having the cassette reissue of this album and playing it so much the tape stretched and finally it was no more!
This CD release is very welcome and I'm quite sure that the sound quality is better too. Dating from 1989 this was an early CD on the Decca, Deram label. Running time approx 57 minutes.
The cast Ron Moody, Georgia Brown, Danny Sewell (the brother of George Sewell), Paul Whitsun-Jones and well cast Keith Hamshere in the title role bring the whole show to life. The orchestrations are by Eric Rogers and the orchestra was conducted by Marcus Dods. My favourite song on the CD is Ron Moody "Reviewing the Situation". The most powerful performance is without doubt from Danny Sewell as Bill Sikes and his "My Name" still sends a shiver down my spine after all these years! And as for Georgia Brown, well she was perfect as Nancy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The original and the best!, 23 Feb. 2009
This review is from: oliver! (1960 London Cast) (Audio CD)
Fantastic value for a fantastic version - the original and the best! If you're not already familiar with her, relish in the outstanding quality of Georgia Brown's voice - THE definitive Nancy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Oliver ever!, 8 Nov. 2009
This review is from: oliver! (1960 London Cast) (Audio CD)
This is THE definitive cast recording of this show, if you are doing an amateur production go no further, especially not to the film version. This marries up with the keys and words and ALL the songs in the official arrangements and score, and has the peerless Ron Moody as Fagin, and Georgia Brown as the best ever Nancy, also listen out for Barry (Dame Edna) Humphries as Mr Sowerberry, plus Tony (Baldrick) Robinson is also in there somewhere too, Consider it, perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lionel Bart's Greatest Moment, 31 Mar. 2011
M. ABBOTT "mikeabbott" (Kew, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: oliver! (1960 London Cast) (Audio CD)
Having kick-started British rock and roll in 1956 with Tommy Steele, written Fings Aint Wot They Used To Be, and Living Doll for Cliff Richard (his first US hit in 1959), Lionel Bart had to save his creative energies and produce a musical. And what a musical! Oliver! - an amazing tour de force that Bart was never to repeat and, indeed, creatively spent he ended up selling his rights to Oliver! to others just to pay his bills. This is the original West End cast - Ron Moody and Georgia Brown starring. It's significantly less polished than the movie that came along in the late 60s but its rawness is magnetic. Great songs performed by great artists in an all British musical that its composer was never able to repeat with neither Bart's Blitz! or his later musical on Robin Hood producing any 'old grey whistle test' hits.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oom Pah Pah!, 20 Sept. 2012
This review is from: oliver! (1960 London Cast) (Audio CD)
Having just been to a singalong-Oliver! at the Theatre Royal, Norwich - which was great fun for a pretend musical stage star like myself - I decided to buy this soundtrack to carry on the pretence in my living room. It's a very good CD but, and this is only in my opinion obviously, I prefer the movie soundtrack with Jack Wild, Mark Lester and Harry Secombe's vocals. Georgia Brown's 'Oom Pah Pah' and 'As Long As He Needs Me' however is unsurpassable. This remains a very good CD though and, as it's my favourite musical of all time, I'll still keep playing it and making believe.....

5.0 out of 5 stars My pocket was cetainly not picked when I bought this.. Fantastic, 26 Nov. 2012
This review is from: oliver! (1960 London Cast) (Audio CD)
This is the original Oliver, as I have booked to see the latest version of the musical Oliver with my two young children , thought it would be a good addition for the car for them to get to know the songs before we go ,and they absoloutly love it they want it on permanently. Its great istening to my 3 year old singing along to consider yourself, really gladens the heart. My 7 year old son obviously loves "you`ve got to pick a pocket ot two" sung by the great Bill Sykes. We cannot wait to see it for real at Leeds Grand starring Neil Morrisey this week! Best buy I have bought for ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars so pleased, 14 Aug. 2014
This review is from: oliver! (1960 London Cast) (Audio CD)
having watched this show in london two weeks after it opened i really wanted a recording featuring the original cast.....now i really do have one! much as i enjoyed the film you really cant beat the original, thank you. pristine used copy, arrived bang on time.

5.0 out of 5 stars for my sons play, 15 May 2013
angelino (hertfordshire england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: oliver! (1960 London Cast) (Audio CD)
i wanted the original version of this cd and this was great - my son was doing the play with a theatre group and this meant we were able to play the cd in the car every day and he learnt the songs - prompt delivery too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oliver, 18 Jun. 2012
This review is from: oliver! (1960 London Cast) (Audio CD)
This CD contains lively renderings of both the well-known and less well-known songs from Oliver. It's doing a great job of helping us become more familiar with them before we go to see the stage show.

oliver! (1960 London Cast)
oliver! (1960 London Cast) by Lionel Bart (Audio CD - 1994)