Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 October 2001
The return to big band jazz for Connick is a roaring success. Come by me is a collection of standards and original compositions. Now in his early thirties Connicks voice is showing an ever increasing ability, to create powerful show stopping notes but remain fragile and full of character. His arrangements of pieces such as 'time after time' and 'There's no business.. 'display a real drama and you are left bittersweet. Absent from the album is Connick overt piano skills but with pieces such as the extra funky 'next door blues' (an instrutmental) this doesn't seem so bad. This album also sees him record a version of Danny boy (Memphis Belle gave us a taster) and it becomes an epic emotinal work with an orchestra arrangement, to get your goose pimples going. As Tony Bennett said "Connick will be one of the evergreens"
on 24 May 2000
I got into Harry after listening to the When Harry Met Sally soundtrack. This was the second album I bought by him and I was instantly hooked. The music sounds more complex and intricate than Harry Met Sally and Harry's voice sounds more mature and confident. It is fast becoming one of my favourite CDs of all time. The Big Band sound is amazing and Harry's self-penned songs like 'Nowhere with Love' and 'Come By Me' are fantastic. If you even remotely liked the When Harry Met Sally soundtrack or simply like beautiful well-written Sinatra-esque songs, you will enjoy this CD. I reckon after a couple of listens you'll be hooked singing along with Harry like a trooper! Always puts a smile on my face.
This 1999 release is the eleventh studio release from Harry Connick Jr, and marks a return to the big band sound that made his name. Here Connick takes a set of American Songbook standards and few well written originals and gives them the big band treatment, fronted by his excellent vocals. Connick seems to have learned from his previous funk excursions that it is OK show a real passion for the music, and the vim and vigour that both he and the band bring to the record, along with a much better production than his previous big band releases, give this record a bit of oomph and makes it an entertaining and engaging listen. Certainly his best big band album up until then. Four stars.
VINE VOICEon 29 May 2008
This is one of my favourite Harry Connick Jr albums I possess. He clearly relishes what he does as his vocal performance on here is top quality. His arrangements are pretty sharp too. He fuses his own songs with old jazz standards and brings them together in an excellent package.

It starts off at a gallop with the impressive 'Nowhere With Love' then continues in the same vein with 'Come By Me' and 'Charade' and finishes off with the wonderful rendition of 'Cry Me A River' and 'Love For Sale'. My favourites on here are the opening two tracks 'Nowhere With Love', 'Come By Me' and possibly 'Time After Time'.

Whenever I listen to this album, it brings a smile to my face and makes me feel good inside. All the arrangements and singing are great and it seems to cascade like a waterfall. That's how I see it anyway. There are some great tracks on here and all worth it.
on 14 November 1999
Having known of Harry Connick Junior for many years now, since I was a teenager infact, I've always taken an interest in him, albeit singing, acting, piano playing etc. I have always been impressed and seduced by his velvet tones, and while not being particularly into Jazz, enjoy the way he revives classic old tunes bringing them into the 90's, the sweet ballards, his talent for the piano, and just listening to that gorgeous voice! As far as I'm concerned he could sing anything and I would listen to him! What inpresses me most is he writes all his own original tunes, arranges them and knows his instruments! Also there is no recording and rerecording, it's all big band stuff, live and in your living room, played all the way through from beginning to end. Now THAT'S talent. Come by Me is a smooth dreamy audio experience, even if jazz isn't your bag, baby! I also have another album of his and hope to collect them all. Keep it coming Harry!
on 11 February 2000
What has always impressed me about Harry Connick is the way he refuses to compromise his own musical beliefs to appease the populist taste. After staying away from conventional big band music to explore other jazz avenues (with no small amount of success may I add), I was both interested and concerned to see what his return to big band would herald. The result, Come By Me, on no level dissapoints. My personal favourite on this CD is Cry Me A River, as it highlights how this astonishing musical talent can take a song we all think we know, turn it on its head, and create something completely new and enlightening. The orchestrations and lyrics on the original tracks are as sharp and original as ever, and I dare anyone not to be carried away by the seductive sincerity and as always understated beauty of the voice on Danny Boy. As a musician myself it is always a joy to listen to Harry Connick's recordings, I don't think there is anyone around at the moment who can equal him in creativity, quality and power of performance. Some kind of wonderful.
on 18 November 1999
This is my favourite Harry Connick CD to date, his version of Danny Boy is one of the best I have ever heard. The standards, such as Cry me a river are suberb and his original numbers are exactly what you would expect, and more, from this very talented musician. A fantastic CD.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 August 2012
Watching Shy Arts the other day there was a concert by Harry Connick Jr. and he truly is an amazing talent as a singer and pianist, has an absolutely brilliant band.So I ask myself how did having seen some of his movies somehow miss him as an artist? Well that's now been put right thanks to Amazon who carry all of his albums.The set I saw was the recent Live On Broadway concert,and it's pretty amazing stuff.Then on You Tube heard him doing Come By Me, and wow ! a great song but his performance is outstanding,great New Orleans beat,some stomping piano and again a cracking band behind him.This sums up an album of outstanding quality,full of top drawer songs by one of the best around,and better than anyone I can think of as a modern swing and ballad singer. I may have taken a time to hear this but I'm glad I have it's superb and utterly unmissable.
on 31 May 2014
I like Harry C and enjoyed his voice for a long time...his voice is a mellow but fresh sound...some of the CD's I have carry tracks I have never heard before...might be his own songs..not bothered yet to look properly..he is an outstanding vocalist.....perhaps he has a CD of American Songbook out there...anyone know ??
on 15 May 2001
I wasn't sure what to expect with this album but I wasn't dissapointed. Once you've listened to it a couple of times the melodies grow and grow and you can't help but sing. If you're feeling low play "Come by me" and you'll be instantly uplifted!!!