Aja

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best
I can remember sitting a car in 1977 when the song 'Deacon Blues' came on the radio. I was instantly mesmerised. Having never heard Steely Dan before I was amazed by the quality and feel of both the song and the recording. I immediately went out and bought the 'LP'. It was this that started my love of the music of Messers Becker and Fagen.
If you are considering your...
Published on 22 Jun 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Super Audio CD in 2 way stereo
Little bit disapointed about the SACD Sound. On vinyl The drums on the title song sound much more natural.
It is a new player by Marantz. The SA14s1. I hope the player still needs a Break In period.
Published 1 month ago by Harry van Enckevort

5.0 out of 5 stars Son's music, 8 May 2013
Mr. J. Cooper "big ears" (maidstone kent uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aja Remastered (Audio CD)
This is as requested my son is over the moon. as he is a partial invalid i buy under his instructions and can only review what he's passed on to me and he is enjoying the item tremendously

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the most musical of all the Steely Dan albums, 19 April 2013
Mr. W. Allbrook "willduo" (West of England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aja Remastered (Audio CD)
Although very much of its time Aja is one of those albums that you can treat like an old friend. You may not play it for a couple of years then you go back to it and find you still have so much in common. Beautifully produced if you like Steely Dan I can thoroughly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steely Dan,at their best., 16 Feb 2013
Mr. P. Williams "madreader" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aja (MP3 Download)
I had not heard this album for years but saw a tv programme about how it was recorded.Had to buy it and I am glad I did.One word describes it...brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars AJA, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)
Another excellent album from the kings of hippie music, I never knew a band that could make you chill out like these boys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Break out the hats and hooters, 18 Aug 2012
GlynLuke (York UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)
On Josie, the last track on this blissful sixth album by the superb Steely Dan, we hear the opening lines:

We`re gonna break out the hats and hooters
When Josie comes home
We`re gonna rev up the motorscooters
When Josie comes home to stay
We`re gonna park in the street, sleep on the beach...
Lay down the law and break it
When Josie comes home

I love the sound Becker & Fagen and their hand-picked cohorts make, and I love the edgy words they write, often superficially not so far from those of the Beach Boys, but much farther out in spirit and intention. I don`t think Mike Love would want to sing some of the laceratingly laconic lyrics these guys come out with. There`s usually a sly smirk or a dark undertone to the Dan`s musings on modern America, its politics and relationships, whether writing about the high street or the back alleys.
Aja is a wonderful record, full of the dense, richly imagined, perfectly played textures we`ve come to expect from this band, all in gorgeous remastered sound.
Try the seven-minute Deacon Blues, with Donald Fagen`s wry, grainy voice singing as tenderly and regretfully as he ever allows himself to. (Is this man the most underrated singer of his era?) It`s a terrific track.
As is the slow-paced Home At last, an absurdly catchy piano-led Odyssean paeon to the concept of homeland. Fagen`s synth solo is exactly right, as is the Becker guitar statement that follows, while the horns (arranged, as on all tracks, by saxist Tom Scott) also add much to the song.
Aja came after the less obviously catch songs on The Royal Scam, and before their farewell (for now) album, the lovely Gaucho. It`s not better or worse than their others, as the Dan`s first seven albums are, to my ears, unbeatable masterpieces of post-sixties popular music. Oddly, they remind me most of a jazzier, more knowing Beatles. It`s the melodic ease, the way with a lyric, the way that, in the right mood, you just want to hear more and more...
I`ve always loved Steely Dan, but having played to death their albums all over again (especially in this exemplary reissue series) I feel like I`m discovering them anew, hearing these superb songs almost for the first time. There`s so much to hear, too! Virtually no other band has used the guitar solo to more eloquent effect, or backing singers in such a subtle manner, never drowning out the lead vocal.
This is yet another marvellous Dan record.

Well the danger on the rocks is surely past
Still I remain tied to the mast
Could it be that I have found my home at last

5.0 out of 5 stars MASTERPIECE!!!!, 19 Aug 2010
Sj Weller (Buckinghamshire, England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aja Remastered (Audio CD)
I think all the other reviewers on this page have said it all really,
but i just have to add that this album is a true masterpiece.
EVERY song could have been a huge selling single i just love steely dan

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest Rock/Jazz/Fusion/Blues album ever!, 19 Dec 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)
You need more than 10,000 words to describe the skill and structure of this email.Take the best session musicians in L.A. and two of the best Jazz musicians in the world and you get Aja.My tip for the best song is "PEG" the bass and the drums setup an amazing groove with Rick Marotta and Chuck Rainey both playing amazingly.A must for any fan of Blues, Rock, Jazz or fusion!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 20 April 2006
S J Buck (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)
When I first had this on LP in the early 80's I wasn't that keen. However as I've got older, and perhaps understand music better, it has overtaken all other Steely Dan albums to become my favourite.

This has that perfect mix of catchy songs and high-class musicianship. Its worth catching the Classic Albums program on Aja, which gives great insight into the making of the album.

The list of musicians is amazing, Steve Gadd, Bernard Purdie, Jim Keltner to name but three, and they are all drummers! Becker and Fagen tend to use musicians with Jazz backgrounds so Wayne Shorter plays Tenor Sax on the title track, Larry Carlton contributes Guitar to a number of tracks. However don't let this put you off, like all Steely Dan albums this is a Jazz influenced album, not a Jazz album. Becker and Fagen are just using a different palette!

Peg is a wonderfully melodic song (with very difficult backing vocals according to Michael McDonald). Josie is or was a covers band standard. The title track has everything, and perhaps sums up the album best.

There are no weak tracks on this album, and any Steely Dan fan should have this in their collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't cry anymore, 9 Dec 2009
A. Willard (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)
Steely Dan's best? Well I've always had an almost unhealthy love for Pretzel Logic but this runs it damn close. The Dan take on jazz and win a resounding victory.

Every track has something to take the breath away. The swing into the chrous on `Black Cow', the saxxy/druminess of `Aja', every bloody second of `Deacon Blue', the swinginess (is that a word?) of `Peg`, the Greek mythologicalness (I'm sure that isn't a word) of `Home at Last', the piano of `I Got the News', and that lovely sinister beginning of `Josie'.

For me this was their last great moment (I'm not crazy about Gaucho and the more recent ones are well...let`s be honest, not a patch). Fagen has done some great work of his own but this is Steely Dan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give this to visiting aliens, 14 Nov 2007
J. Fowler "NiceTime" (Newhaven, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)
This is probably the best album ever recorded. Songs, players, arrangements, groove, harmony - I can't think of another album that ticks every box in such abundance. This album should be part of the school curriculum.

Aja
Aja by Steely Dan (Audio CD - 2000)