Aja

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best
I can remember sitting a car in 1977 when the song 'Deacon Blues' came on the radio. I was instantly mesmerised. Having never heard Steely Dan before I was amazed by the quality and feel of both the song and the recording. I immediately went out and bought the 'LP'. It was this that started my love of the music of Messers Becker and Fagen.
If you are considering your...
Published on 22 Jun 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Super Audio CD in 2 way stereo
Little bit disapointed about the SACD Sound. On vinyl The drums on the title song sound much more natural.
It is a new player by Marantz. The SA14s1. I hope the player still needs a Break In period.
Published 2 months ago by Harry van Enckevort

5.0 out of 5 stars Aja, still brilliant after all these years., 29 May 2014
This review is from: Aja [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I've had Aja on vinyl for years, and then also on CD, it being one of my all time favourite Steely Dan albums, so I was looking forward to playing this 180gm audiophile version. Well I wasn't disappointed - the moment the stylus hit the lead in - silence. No pops, crackles or hisses. As there's not a duff track throughout, I'll describe the general presentation with it's widely spread sound stage, clear separation and superb placement of instruments and vocals, the pressing is outstanding.

To put everything into perspective I'll give you a rundown of my modest equipment set up. Rega Planar 3, RB300 arm with Michell Technoweight, Ortofon Red MM cartridge, Audiolab 8000A amp, VDH The Clearwater cables and MS 208s Speakers.

Even if you already own the album on vinyl, I'm confident that you wouldn't be disappointed with this version - I only wish I could obtain a similar version of 'Gaucho' for a reasonable price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still sounds good., 5 Aug 2013
This review is from: Aja (MP3 Download)
Very much a jazz influenced album. Although I much prefer some of the dans other albums - countdown to ecstacy, royal scam, pretsel logic - this album still sounds good and original years after it was released.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some albums just 'hang' together, 1 May 2011
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)
This, is far and away the best Steely Dan album - and one of the best from anybody - one where the tracks are inextricably linked rather like DNA strands or a seamless god of a DJ's set.

Laid back, cool, yet edgy just when you think it's getting a bit TOO cool - this is US radio station rock/jazz that is far from being MOR. It's driving with the roof down music, as you gobble up the miles yet still has that groovy just-gone-midnight sort of surety.

Effortlessly performed, the complex compositions and interesting and absorbing lyrics set this one ahead. Some tracks are 7 minutes long - you'll want them even longer. I do. Mix in one of the best ever recorded studio albums - the audiophile in you will have you drooling at the sheer clarity of it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, 27 Jan 2011
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)
First heard the Dan in 83 when they were remixed for the Clubhouse Billie Jean and Do it Again top 10 single in the UK and wondered who was singing that great vocal. Then years later my Dad put on Cant buy a Thrill and then it was clear it was the Steelies well I was only 15 in 1983. Bought a compilation in early 90s and didnt do nothing for me. Then very slowly the addition took hold, liked FM, then Kid Charlemange, My Old School. Countdown was the 1st lp I bought and I bought them all over a period and Aja was the last one. It was my least favorite at first, sounding over smooth. 17 years later it the my favorite and most played Dan LP, just sums them up. Aja is worth the drum solo from Steve Gadd alone, amazing and was apparently done in 1 take. Black Cow funky, D Blues pretty dark, Peg great backing vocals by M Mcdonald, great bass playing as well on Peg and Josie by Chuck Rainey. Home at Last has a great swing and again seems darkish song, Purdey on drums. Becker plays a mean smooth jazzy guitar solo on Josie. Yes its the height of cool, session musos but 7 great tracks no filler, great playing and the best selling Dan record. In my all time top 10, my only warning is you will be buying the lot except Everything must go which I just cannot listen to. 11 tracks of Whack and Nightfly are also recommended solos from Walter and Don.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 Oct 2009
KHerbst (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)
Clearly one of the best albums from Steely Dan. The LP has got a real good sound quality to it, but this digitally remastered CD edition is even better, at least on a great system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply one of the best albuns ever recorded in music history, 3 Oct 2009
Virgolino Luis (TURQUEL, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)
I love Steely Dan, it is perhaps my favourite band of all time, as far as music is concerned. With reference to the lyrics I simply have no opinion as my knowledge of english language doesn't allow me and I find it quite difficult to understand. But that doesn't matter to me at all. The music is superb, the arrangements are fabulous. This sweet music that mingles rock, jazz, blues, soul is simply awesome, to my musical taste. And then in this album we have, apart from the genius Donald Fagen & Walter Becker, the collaboration of some of the greatest musicians of all time such as Bernard Purdie, Tom Scott, Chuck Rainey, Larry Carlton, Steve Gadd, Don Grolnick, Michael McDonald, Victor Feldman, Joe Sample, Wayne Shorter, just to name a few. No more words needed. Just hear it, you'll be fascinated just as I was when I first heard it many years ago. To me this still today one of the best abuns ever recorded in music history.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brings back memories, 13 Mar 2009
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)
I bought this for my husband and he now can't stop playing it. He loves it. Unfortunately the kids aren't too keen but it is great fun to hear the old music again

5.0 out of 5 stars the dan do it again, 2 Feb 2001
Mr. Simon G. Lawson (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)
In my opinion this is the most consistant steely dan album they've made,thats not to take anything away from the other excellent albums.Aja is a totally outstanding album,and should be part of any good music collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't even like Jazz when I first bought this...., 6 Mar 2007
Amazon Customer "popestar" (Milton Keynes United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)
....or at least, I didn't realise that I did. Nearly 30 years after first buying this musical work of art rarely a week goes buy when it doesn't get a spin.

This album isn't just good, it's special. No one, from the pop, rock or jazz styles has made anything approaching what Steely Dan achieved on Aja.

Try it, you probably won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest Rock/Jazz/Fusion/Blues album ever!, 19 Dec 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)
You need more than 10,000 words to describe the skill and structure of this email.Take the best session musicians in L.A. and two of the best Jazz musicians in the world and you get Aja.My tip for the best song is "PEG" the bass and the drums setup an amazing groove with Rick Marotta and Chuck Rainey both playing amazingly.A must for any fan of Blues, Rock, Jazz or fusion!

Aja
Aja by Steely Dan (Audio CD - 2000)