5.0 out of 5 stars THIS ONE GROWS ON YOU!
Some people don't like the sound of Macy's voice and I thought that included me, so I didn't think I'd enjoy this CD, especially as some of the tracks were alien to my taste - but after listening a couple of times I became addicted to the earthy animal in Macy's voice.....and after a couple more times I was completely hooked! Her sound is so DIFFERENT; her music so...
Published on 6 Mar 2001 by Mrs. P. M. Howard

1.0 out of 5 stars VERY DISAPPOINTING
I saw a poster the other day that quoted "We've been waiting a whole decade for an album like this." Well, if that really is true I suspect we've been wasting our time. This is just another example of music industry clique and hype. I mean, fair enough, so a lot of people like this record. Personally, I don't see why. She certainly has a unique voice and...
Published on 7 Jan 2000

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, 4 Nov 1999
This review is from: On How Life Is (Audio CD)
What a voice! I don't care really what anyone else thinks, Its how I feel that counts, and I love it! I would recommend it to anyone...and have done and everyone I know loves the album too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Impulse buy paid off, 4 Nov 1999
This review is from: On How Life Is (Audio CD)
This was an impulse buy on pay day but I love it. Not all of it, I hate track 5 but absolutely love track 8. It's so unusual and Macy Gray's voice is so strange.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like a smouch..., 3 Nov 1999
This review is from: On How Life Is (Audio CD)
Macy Grace.... a bit of a strange name, a bit of a strange voice, but... what a great debut album! If you're of the type who likes to kick back on the sofa with a bottle of wine then get this album, stick in in the cd player and let Macy's soulful but slightly strange voice wash over you as you wait in anticipation for the superb single 'I Try' (Track 4) to arrive by then LP will have sucked you in. It might not strike a cord with some straight away, but it will grow on you

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not sure how I feel about liking it..., 27 Oct 1999
This review is from: On How Life Is (Audio CD)
There was a brief honeymoon period when everyone felt certainthey had discovered this album all by themselves, that they were onto something special and somehow back-alley. We wanted it to stay back-alley cool, for Macy Gray to be the Real Thing, and for her NOT to be the next Lauren Hill. But it looks like she's the next Big Thing, and early listeners feel a little silly about our dreams of playing this at a party where no one had ever heard it before. Now I keep hearing "I had to buy it after I heard it in Banana Republic" - cringe. It may be derivative, but it's not boring. The schoolyard hand-clapping swing of the opening track overcomes my cynicism arising from the overly-slick cover photos and the suspicion of her being too much in the right place at the right time (with the right producer).

5.0 out of 5 stars such a good album, 4 Mar 2001
This review is from: On How Life Is (Audio CD)
this album really is da bomb. funky, soulful, shows influences of hip-hop, rock and there is a genral rnb/soul feel. how rythem and blues should be. the songs have meaning and are all brilliant. standouts include why didn't u call me?, do something, i try, i can't wait to meetchu, still, moment to myself and the letter. the only downside is i wish it was at least another track longer. but saying that it is value for money bieng such great music.

1.0 out of 5 stars "Simply awful", 4 Dec 1999
This review is from: On How Life Is (Audio CD)
After listening to this album I fear my eardrums, and sanity,have been damaged for life. When I hear the constant rabblings from my friends that Macy Gray is the big thing, I laugh. How could someone who sings like a dying frog be the next big thing?? Buy this album and be very disappointed-or deafened for eternity-Joanna Lupa

1.0 out of 5 stars Grating, 15 Feb 2000
This review is from: On How Life Is (Audio CD)
OK so Macy Gray has an interesting voice, but after a few listens the album is so grating. I can't bear to hear any of the tracks anymore! I don't think there are any particularly strong songs on the album. What was all the hype about?

4.0 out of 5 stars Alluring, 31 Oct 2000
This review is from: On How Life Is (Audio CD)
Album took a while to get used to, but once one had listenned to the lyrics as well as the sound, one could not resist playing it one more time.

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is brilliant!!, 6 Jan 2000
This review is from: On How Life Is (Audio CD)
This album has some amazing tracks on it, its easy listening whilst being cool and funky at the same time!

2.0 out of 5 stars Wierd, nothing line "I try", 21 Dec 1999
This review is from: On How Life Is (Audio CD)
Having heard "I try" I got the CD expecting something similar. I was surprised by the seriously odd content. I feel I should have waited before purchasing this CD.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

On How Life Is
On How Life Is by Macy Gray (Audio CD - 2004)