5.0 out of 5 stars Two classic songs
Published on 4 May 2004 by Peter Durward Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy it
But buy it cheap for "The Letter" and "Neon Rainbow", the rest will never be on your iPod.
Published on 28 April 2010 by IanA

5.0 out of 5 stars Two classic songs, 4 May 2004
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Best Of... Soul Deep (Audio CD)
The Box tops are best remembered for The letter and (to a lesser extent) Cry like a baby but there is more to their music than those two classics. Their music is deceptively simple soul-pop. Their lead singer, Alex Chilton, was just 16 when they recorded The letter. He left the group, still only 19, and had some domestic success with Big star - a group that didn't chart in Britain.
The letter, their debut single, was an American number one hit and also made the UK top ten. Cry like a baby, their only other American top ten hit, was also their only other UK top twenty hit. They had eight other American hits of which Soul deep was the only one to chart in Britain. Of the others, I particularly like Neon rainbow. These four tracks are the most notable, though it is worth mentioning Sweet cream ladies forward march (in praise of prostitutes - surely they're not serious?) and You keep tightening up on me (not a hit but maybe it would have been had it come earlier in the career).
This is an interesting collection of their best music. If you enjoy sixties soul-pop, you may wish to add this to your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Of The Box Tops, 2 Nov 2009
Paullus (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best Of... Soul Deep (Audio CD)
I owe the purchase of this to a Talktalk advert on television which used "Neon Rainbow" as the soundtrack. I also heard the same track while waiting to speak to a Talktalk customer advisor. I was so taken with the song that I actually wrote down the lyrics so I could search for the song title. Unusually I was actually quite disappointed when an advisor answered quickly. So I searched the internet and found "Neon Rainbow" and I must admit to never have heard of "The Box Tops" but I had heard "The Letter". So I ordered the CD "The Best Of The Box Tops: Soul Deep" from Amazon and it arrived with it's usual speed.
How did I miss out on this group? To me the songs sound fresh and modern and have a real feel good quality that belie their vintage. The CD was played endlessly in my car for a few days before I felt the need to swap it. In fact I've put it on while writing this not very technical review but hey, I love this music. In fact it has rekindled my passion for the sounds of yesteryear and I've gone on to buy CDs from several artists including The Monkees and Billy Joel to name two. Strangely enough my teenage son listens to them as well!

4.0 out of 5 stars My baby just wrote me a letter, 18 July 2012
GlynLuke (York UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Best Of... Soul Deep (Audio CD)
The Box Tops are one of the most intiguing groups of the late sixties, and The Letter one of the imperishable, if brief, pop classics of that decade. It clocks in at five seconds shy of two minutes, so to say it doesn`t outstay its welcome is an understatement. It certainly leaves you wanting more, and for many of us back then it literally left us wanting to hear more of this classy band, led by the now iconic figure of the sadly late Alex Chilton, who went on to found the superb Big Star - a band beset by not only a lousy name (and terrible record sleeves!) but a whole bunch of bad luck.
The Letter kicks things off, and each time I play it I feel like I`m visiting an old and trusted friend. But there was more to them than their big hit. One thing they had going for them was Chilton`s soulful voice, and a batch of songwriters willing to entrust their songs to them, not least two of the best in the business, Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham - who have composed some of the greatest pop-soul songs of the last fifty years, Penn having a superb voice of his own (check out their live album, the wittily titled Moments From This Theatre). Five of their songs appear on this excellent compilation, including Neon Rainbow, the memorable Cry Like A Baby, and the amusing, gospelly I Met Her In Church.
Another great track is Soul Deep, written, as was The Letter, by Wayne Carson Thompson, a talented country singer-songwriter responsible for, among other songs, Always On My Mind and Bruce Channel`s frantic sixties hit Keep On.
Alex Chilton`s own Together is a distinctive song, with a spiky, insistent lead guitar over a brass backing. I Must Be The Devil is another of his, a blues that highlights his gruffly soulful vocals.
I`m not going to make unrealistic claims for the Box Tops, but I do recommend this timely collection to anyone who enjoys well-crafted, musically inventive pop, or anybody who remembers their one or two big hits and wants to hear more. You won`t be disappointed.

`Lonely days are gone
I`m a-comin` home,
My baby just wrote me a letter`

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, 28 April 2010

Best Of... Soul Deep
Best Of... Soul Deep by The Box Tops (Audio CD - 1999)