5.0 out of 5 stars A lesser known must have classic., 22 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Message (Audio CD)
If you like hip hop, rap, soul, jazz, ragga or reggae you must buy this cd. Hugely influential and multiply sampled Cymande produced some outstanding tunes. It contains some infectious jazzy-reggae-soul songs that you'll recognise and love. Don't buy anything new 'til you have this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous funk, 2 April 2006
Mohammad A. Rahman (Wolverhampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Message (Audio CD)
This is an absolutely essential purchase for lovers of funky music! Every single track is a masterpiece. This amazing collection contains 3 complete Cymande albums and best every other compilation of their work. Sound quality is A+++ as is the price. You will not regret buying it!
Whilst every track is excellent, the standouts remain "Bra", "The Message" and "Dove". I first heard "Bra" and "The Message" in Spike Lee's superb film "25th Hour" where they were used to brilliant effect, especially "Bra", during the nightclub sequence. I can't believe I had not heard these tracks until I saw that film. Cymande have been woefully neglected all this time - Mojo should do a feature on them and music lovers ought to be forced to buy this fantastic collection. Perfect for parties.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Real Deal!, 4 Jun 2003
Doktor Futtocks - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Message (Audio CD)
Here it is - everything you'll ever need, Cymande-wise. All three albums, plus unreleased tracks. And what a great band this self-taught 8-piece band were. They gently mush together funk, dub, jazz and the kitchen sink to produce a warm, smooth, easy groove.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best CD I own and have ever heard., 8 July 2005
This review is from: Message (Audio CD)
This is the only album I could award 5 stars for. It is perfect.
Anyone with a pulse and at least 1 ear will enjoy it. Forget musical genres, forget 'afro funk', 'jazz-funk', 'nya-rock', this album is simply the best music I will ever hear. I heard Cymande's tracks for the first time in 1990 and nothing before or since am I able to compare them with.
The instrumentation and musician ship are straight out of the top drawer and the songwriting is actually beyond that - in a differnet league to anything else I've ever heard. 'The Message' makes me smile and and it makes me cry.
The message is the best CD I own and have ever heard.
Bishoprio

Message
Message by Cymande (Audio CD - 1999)