5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning live recording of some great songs
Magna Carta have produced some great songs over the years. This recording captures a selection recorded live in their native Yorkshire Dales. Fine songs, fine musicians & fine recording
Published on 5 Nov 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars thanks but no thanks
Published on 2 Jan 2011 by ds

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning live recording of some great songs, 5 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Live at the Grassington Festival (Audio CD)

1.0 out of 5 stars thanks but no thanks, 2 Jan 2011
ds "Lagerd" (West Allis, WI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live In Grassington (Audio CD)
I've been meaning to check out this group for years and finally got around to it. I wish I hadn't. I have always been a huge fan of UK folk-rock from Steeleye, Fairport and Albion to Oysterband, The Men They Couldn't Hang and Levellers and since Magna Carta have always been lumped into the progressive folk-rock camp my radar was always on them. Alas, there's a reason this band never made a greater int'l impact; They're simply boring.

I realize that a live album 30 years later (recorded in '98) with one original member isn't the prudent starting point but if their classic material bears even the slightest resemblance to this generic soft rock I'll pass. Chris Simpson is a gentle singer with a Scottish brogue and able acoustic guitarist, however, his songs lack pizzazz. And Linda Simpson... I know she's his wife and he loves her and she's beautiful and all that but every time I hear her voice I cringe and the paint on my walls peals back another layer. And when I played this CD in my car the temperature gauge hit the red, the exhaust backfired incessantly and the wipers inexplicitly locked into the 'fast' position. Furthermore, a saxophone (Derek Nash) with this level of cheesiness does not belong in a band who willingly stands under the folk-rock umbrella, hence my 'generic soft-rock' comment.

No, this isn't the same band from 1970 so if anyone in the know can offer compelling reasons as to which early Magna Carta album I should explore next I'm all ears. None of the existing sound samples intrigue me but :30 snippets rarely reflect the essence of a song or capture the spirit of a band. Fire away.

ARRAY(0xa9896fa4)

Live at the Grassington Festival
Live at the Grassington Festival by Magna Carta (Audio CD - 1999)