4.0 out of 5 stars Move to the commercial
Published on 20 July 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing
I've loved Reef right from the very beginning. I must admit I've got a soft spot for rock music with a funky twang. But this album, although good in it's own folky way it's not quite the interesting sound of their first two albums. If you want a good reef record, I'd get Glow, which has that good time feel to it. Rides is much more chilled out and acoustic.
Published on 15 Nov. 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars Move to the commercial, 20 July 2001
This review is from: Rides (Audio CD)
Reefs third studio album sees a move towards the more commercial pop scene. There is little evidence of their earlier raw energy, although 'Who you are' is classic Reef. Although quite different from their first two offerings it is still very good, despite being slated by many Reef fans. Standout tracks for me include 'New bird', 'Something to say', 'Metro', 'Who you are' and 'love feeder'. There are some excellent songs on this album and those who do not like it as it is less rocky than typical Reef, should consider listening again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A matured sound from a great band....., 13 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Rides (Audio CD)
'Rides' is Reef's third studio album which follows 'Glow' and their debut outing 'Replenish' (1995). If you have listened to either of these (excellent) albums then you will appreciate how the sound of this band has changed and this is displayed in Rides. Whereas the previous albums sounded heavier and in places arguably fresher this third album presents a more mature sound. The vocals are still instantly recognisable as the superb Gary Stringer but are, in places, somewhat more mellow this outing as demonstrated in the tracks 'Locked Inside' and 'Electric Sunday' (a beautiful song). Tracks 'Back In My Place' and 'Who Are You' are, in my view, reminiscent of the previous albums but the rest of the album represents yes, probably a shift towards a more commercial scene but ultimately a natural continuation of the bands evolving sound. The notion that the band have more reflective matters on their mind is evident in Rides and this isn't necessarily a bad thing. The vocals, as mentioned, are still excellent (and I still rate Gary Stringer to be one of the best in the rock / indie scene), the percussion and instrumentals are still superb and the overall feel is definetely Reef so as a fan of the band or not I would recommend this CD!! One tip though, avoid their album 'Getaway' like the plague. Trust me.
If you like this try: Reef: Replenish.

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is great!, 15 Mar. 2000
This review is from: Rides (Audio CD)
I'm fed up reading lame reviews for this great 'rock-pop' album. You will see poor 2 out of 5 star reviews all over the place for this and why I do not know. This is the album that should have made this band huge. Unfortunately everybody that seemed to be a fan went deaf upon its release. Treat yourself to a classic album that deserves to be discovered for what it truely is, great!

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 15 Nov. 1999
This review is from: Rides (Audio CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Funky, happy,upbeat with distinctive raw, wild vocals !, 14 Jun. 2001
This review is from: Rides (Audio CD)
This is the third album I've bought from Amazon by Reef. THEY ROCK !! What can I say - funky twangy guitar, original riffs, rocky and upbeat and slow and dreamy. Track 6 'sweety' is a feel good song. The vocal talent of Gary Stringer is amazing - its raw, its unique, its underrated. Buy it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album., 21 April 2015
This review is from: Rides (Audio CD)
Everything I expected from Reef.
Great album .

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a classic, but a damn fine record, 21 Aug. 2000
This review is from: Rides (Audio CD)
This is the album of the moment for me, purchased at the same time as i bought ok computer [radiohead's 'masterpiece' although pablo honey is better] and it completely overshadows it. not many albums can claim to be better than ok comp but this achieves it effortlessly. 'Back In My Place', 'Who You Are' and 'Love Feeder' are the outstanding songs as well as the single 'New Bird' but that's just my taste, because they are the more up-beat songs. not a classic, but a damn fine record from a damn fine band.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album with some absolutely classic numbers, 15 May 2001
A. J. Woodward (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rides (Audio CD)
When I bought this album, it didn't have the immediate appeal of Glow, but the more I listened to it, the better it became. Certain songs really grew on me, and I'd be hard pushed to find a weak song on it (though I must admit I've never been that keen on 'Locked Inside'). 'Back in my place' and 'Moaner Snap' have become big favourites of mine - don't miss this album!

Rides
Rides by Reef (Audio CD - 1999)