4.0 out of 5 stars Late night jazz meets film music, 21 Jan 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: John Barry: Playing by Heart [SOUNDTRACK] (Audio CD)
Taken from the film Playing By Heart with an all star cast including Sean Connery, Gillian Anderson, Angelina Jolie, Dennis Quaid and more, this cd is a great find whether you have seen the film or not. John Barry, who is perhaps better known for his scoring of the Bond films creates the perfect late night atmosphere with this mellow, chill out jazz style. Even if you are not a fan of jazz this cd is still great. It moves from emotional strings to soulful trumpets with beautiful piano parts. This cd is perfect to listen to during the evening as it whisks you into a state of relaxation. The perfect gift for someone who likes the film, or likes John Barry or is a fan of late night chill out music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this music, 16 Mar 2008
This review is from: John Barry: Playing by Heart [SOUNDTRACK] (Audio CD)
I had heard John Barry interviewed on NPR online in 1998 and he played the theme song to this movie. I was just blown away. I had to download the file, I remember, so I was able to play it many many times, but this was way before mp3 files were popular, so the only time I could listen to it was when I was at the computer.

I thought about it for years, really. Silly, I know-- but I really loved the music and I imagined that I could play it on the piano well if I could just find the sheet music to it, too (I can't play by ear :( ). I looked periodically over the years but could never find it. And, when I actually did find it, I was very confused because I found the OTHER soundtrack-- which was not what I was looking for.

So, finally, several years ago, I found this cd. And, the whole thing is superb. I don't listen to it every day nor every week, but when I do, I am completely transported-- it's a perfect evening cd or rainy day cd. Or, actually, anytime, if you have some quiet time that isn't constantly interrupted.

I reviewed this today because I came upon the listing when I did my periodic search for the sheet music. That is still unavailable and I'm still disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful music, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: John Barry: Playing by Heart [SOUNDTRACK] (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed this laid back score with its moments of beauty. Could only be John Barry!

5.0 out of 5 stars music man, 1 Nov 2012
This review is from: John Barry: Playing by Heart [SOUNDTRACK] (Audio CD)
john barry at his best with this jazz laden score akin to the brooding body heat from the 1980sthe score exudes atmosphere and brooding tension any john barry fan should add this to thier collection

John Barry: Playing by Heart [SOUNDTRACK]
John Barry: Playing by Heart [SOUNDTRACK] by Baker/Botti/Barry (Audio CD - 1999)