5.0 out of 5 stars All You Need is Love and Understanding
Published on 1 Sept. 2005 by Mr. S. Edwards

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm a big Deep Purple fan but this is not ...
I'm a big Deep Purple fan but this is not for me, I know it was recorded some time ago but as a live recording its not one i.m going to be playing all the way through again .
Published 6 days ago by A. J. Harknett

5.0 out of 5 stars All You Need is Love and Understanding, 1 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Butterfly Ball (Audio CD)
The Butterfly Ball is a child of it's time. A concept album based around the themes of love, peace and understanding. The main story is that all the animals in the forest are trying to work out a way that they can all live together, culminating in them all getting it together at the Butterfly Ball and Grasshopper Feast to celebrate their cultures and diversity. It all sounds very 1974! But the music certainly doesn't sound dated like many of its concept album contemporaries of the day, and the themes are as relevant now as they have always been.
The songs were all based on the beautiful illustrations from the 'Butterfly Ball' by Alan Aldridge, first published in 1973. A film was muted, though only a promotional film for 'Love Is All' materialised. When the Butterfly Ball was performed live in 1974, Ian Gillan replaced Ronnie James Dio. The show at the Royal Albert Hall was filmed, though withdrawn swiftly as most people involved hated it (apparently it had lots of people dancing around, dressed as animals). An absolute travesty when it had one of Gillan's first live performances since leaving Deep Purple.
If you are reading this review, the chances are you are a Deep Purple/Rainbow fan? 'Butterfly Ball' is not just a 'must' for Deep Purple completists though as it is a classic album in it's own right. With a cast list that most 'Purple fans would pay a fortune to see, it boasts some excellent performances, with Ronnie James Dio turning in one of his best ever performances on 'Sitting in a Dream'. David Coverdale sings on 'Behind the Smile', Glenn Hughes on 'Get Ready' and Roger Glover plays throughout. (see what I mean about the cast list?).
The Purple connection is strong and influential on the album but it is not dominant. If you are expecting 'Smoke On the Water', 'Burn' or even 'When a Blind Man Cries' you will be disapointed, but if you are able to listen without prejudice you will hear some great performances and some fantastic songs.
The album was dismissed when it was first released, appealing to neither the Deep Purple fans, nor to the 'pop' fans who were too busy listening to Slade, The Osmonds, Gary Glitter and David Cassidy. This was a shame since the Butterfly Ball stands up as a classic album and certainly knocks the Osmonsd et.al into a cocked hat!
Roger Glover wrote most of the songs on the album, and his influences stand out. The album, but particularly 'Love Is All' screams of the Beatles, with the McCartney(esque) cornet solo (see Penny Lane). There are hints of Benjamin Britten, Dr John (Together Again), Deep Purple (Sir Maximus Mouse) and even Pink Floyd (intro to Magician Moth).
The Butterfly Ball is a charming album which contains some great songs and some tremendous performances from Dio, Glenn Hughes, David Coverdale, Roger Glover and a whole host of co-stars. It should have been a hit at the time, but come on, who could compete with classics (sic) like 'Puppy Love' and 'Ma, He's Making Eyes at Me'?
I hope you enjoy this album as much as I do. It is one album that I always come back to.
All you need is love and understanding

5.0 out of 5 stars Appeals to all ages, 10 Feb. 2002
This review is from: Butterfly Ball (Audio CD)
This classic was a childhood memory of mine until I heard 15 years later in a record store. Only when I read the album cover did I actually realise that RJ Dio, David Coverdale, Roger Glover (all who are artists that I listened to in my teens) et al were the masters that put this magnificent compilation together. I obviously bought it straight away. It is now (and no doubt always will be) up there with my favourite recordings of all time.
Buy it, you wont be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very 'prog' concept album with varied music styles., 10 July 2011
This review is from: Butterfly Ball (Audio CD)
This is a very different piece of work to the other Butterfly Ball CD. I bought it out of curiosity as I had never heard it. Firstly I have to state that I am not a prog rock or Deep Purple fan, and a lot of the musical genres represented here (eg blues) are not for me either, so I am not reviewing it in mind of liking it musically.

I can hear other musicals in this - vocals very reminiscent of Hair for eg, I can also hear Tommy and even Rocky Horror. Of course I am aware that Rocky Horror came after this. Throughout it has a very 'musical' feel - one can envisage it being performed live. 'Behind the Smile' sounds like it is being sung by someone who is emulating Scott Walker, and as I love Scott Walker I do quite like that track. Although there are elements of 'child friendly' sound it really does not have the child orientation of the other Butterfly CD, everything is sung, mostly by some very competent singers, though I have to say that Aranea does sound a bit amateur vocally and that reggae/ pop style is painful for me! Fortunately it is very short. Sitting in a Dream is much more appropriate and complex musically. Sir Maximus Mouse is the most 'classic rock' track, Dreams of Sir Bedivere the most prog rock sounding.

The entire project gave a lot of people the opportunity to experiment, and I am glad that it hasn't been entirely forgotton.

If you like 70s music and fancy a bit of a punt I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love is all !, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Butterfly Ball (Audio CD)
I remember listening to this on vinyl whilst following the illustrations and story (lyrics) on the original gatefold cover. I was in a world of my own and loved it!
It's great to hear it all again on CD in one go, with the addition of 'Little Chalk Blue' slotted relevantly into the running order (I had to buy the 7" single separately all those years ago).
It still sounds really good, with some nice whimsical songs and lovely little instrumentals. I've always found it to be both uplifting and melancholy at the same time.
Despite the presence of such vocalists as David Coverdale, Glenn Hughes, Jimmy Helms etc, Ronnie James Dio easily steals the show, weighing in with 3 songs (Love Is All, Sitting In Dream and Homeward) which I reckon are some of his finest ever performances, along with 'Stargazer' and some of his Elf stuff. His beautiful soaring, velvety voice full of power, softness and emotion, is as near to perfection here as anyone could get!
I remember hearing 'Love Is All' (a brilliant 'All You Need Is Love' pastiche) for the first time, and thinking, 'Wow, Roger Glover has a brilliant voice, why doesn't he sing more often??'
A well-entertaining album about living with others in peace and harmony.... love IS all !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Butterfly ball, 2 Sept. 2012
Melinda R. Everitt (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Butterfly Ball (Audio CD)
Wow! What an amazing trip down memory lane! My sister used to own this album on vinyl in the 80's and it went astray. For years I pined for it and thought I would never hear it again. When I received this copy, it was like I had heard it only yesterday. I sang the whole album word for word. It's a beautiful and fantastic little adventure! Each track is really unique but it somehow all flows together really well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous dip into another world, 10 Jan. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Butterfly Ball (Audio CD)
Beautiful haunting music telling a story with distinctive, entertaining characters. You really feel you've been to the Butterfly Ball. Introduce your children to it or make a change from contemporary stuff - this is quality stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Butterfly Ball was just just that!, 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Butterfly Ball (Audio CD)
It's been many years since I had the pleasure of listening to this overlooked gem! It was not just a trip down memory lane but rather a chance to reconnect with really good music. Although the idea of putting a book to music was not exactly all that new at the time, the compositions and the selection of artists more than makes up for any short-Cummings. For anyone interested in reliving a bright part of the past and not feeling as though the music is so dated then I would have to say give this album a try! I really don't think you will be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical magic from the 70's, 30 April 2015
This review is from: Butterfly Ball (Audio CD)
A really superb album, can't imagine artists today being creative enough to record something like this. Great musicians, and great vocalists too. Glad I've finally got hold of a copy of this on CD.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm a big Deep Purple fan but this is not ..., 28 Jun. 2015
A. J. Harknett (london,england) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars I was very pleased with it, 19 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Butterfly Ball (Audio CD)
I was very pleased with it. That's all I can say really. It was delivered relatively quickly, it wasn't damaged and I am VERY pleased - yes.

Butterfly Ball
Butterfly Ball by Roger Glover (Audio CD - 1999)