5.0 out of 5 stars This album is a classic. Really. Would I lie to you?, 3 Jan. 2001
This review is from: late nightmovies (Audio CD)
OK, what can I say about this album and this band, giving you a historical context for the occasionally odd noises on this record?
Firstly, the Doctors of Madness - you've never heard of them, right? Not a surprise. Reviled by the mainstream music press in their time, yet weirdly revered in metal-centric Sheffield of all places, where at the City Hall I saw them literally blow the headlining Be-Bop Deluxe right off the stage. A sub-Bowie, post-glam, post-apocalyptic piece of pretention said the NME, a singer with blue hair and a gargantuan ego, and a violinist for God's sake - and he was called 'Urban Blitz'. What was going on?
So, I will tell you what was going on. In that awful, miserable post-glam, pre-punk wasteland of 1975-1976, when Slade and Bowie had stopped making decent records, when TOTP was wall-to-wall identikit plastic soul, when the kids were feeling so depressed and frustrated and angry, when SOMETHING had to happen, then the history books tell you that punk happened.
Well, it did. Eventually. But in that weird 24 month pre-punk period, some great music exploded - the Hotrods, the Feelgoods, and the mighty Doctors of Madness. For this reviewer, at the time a 16-year old lost soul with spots, no girlfriend, a chip on his shoulder, looking for a riot of his own, these guys had it all. Sheer velocity, the aggression and exhuberant energy of punk (listen to 'Waiting' and 'B-movie Bedtime'), the post Diamond Dogs apocalyptic visions of 'Mainlines' and the downright depressing 'suicide trilogy' of Mitzi's Cure / I think Were Alone Now / Noises of the Evening. The sawing violin and wallpaper-stripping lead guitar of Urban Blitz, Kid Strange's awesome poetry, great singing and buzzsaw rhythm guitar, Stoner's ACE bass and Pete DiLemma's all-over-the-kit drumming, this band were just the best. The very very best. And yet at the same time I am fully prepared to admit that they were truly dreadful - much like the Clash, a Doctors gig would veer from genius to terrifyingly bad within 3 minutes. But history claims The Clash were the best Rock and Roll band of all time. Kid Strange's Doctors rate higher in my rock history than the Clash ever could.
Buy this record.
And somebody, re-release the other 2 albums, I need them both on CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars it's still around!, 13 July 2001
This review is from: late nightmovies (Audio CD)
I'm just amazed this is available on CD - I'd have put money on it being long deleted. This, then, is a golden opportunity for anyone who doesn't own it to spend a few quid on a genuinely innovative record that, to use a much-abused cliché, was years ahead of its time. The extra tracks are just a bonus. The Doctors of Madness were the first band I ever saw live - and when they came on stage, it was the equivalent of a chick hatching from the egg and adopting the first thing it saw as its mother. They were brilliant that rainy night in Dunfermline back in 1975, and so were the headlining act, Be-Bop Deluxe. The other two LPs - I wouldn't part with them for anything - never scaled the heights of this eclectic work of genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Forgotten Masterpiece, 29 Jan. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: late nightmovies (Audio CD)
I've been looking for these guys for 15 years. First time I heard them on vinyl back in 1985, on a long winter night in Moscow - and I was absolutely shocked. These guys managed a brilliant transition from post-glam era to an early euphoria of punk, and they could do it like nobody's business. Without them, Adam and his Ants and the likes could not be able to manage a decent chord,and the whole new wave thing would have sucked badly.
Thank you, Doctors.

5.0 out of 5 stars a cold wet night in leeds, 18 Feb. 2009
twas a cold wet night in leeds and a bunch of spotty teens from wakefield went to see their local heroes be bop deluxe play the university , havin seen them in the local pubs and clubs for the past 3 yeears this was the big one , imagine our mood when we told that the be boppers would not be appearing as they had gone to the beeb to record top of the pops , some went home in disgust the hardy few stayed to see the support band doctors of madness , well we had had our party seven can and cadged a funny fag from that hippy who always hung about the uni gates , so on they came guitarist looking like frankensteins monster and a 7 foot ( or so it seemed looking up at him ) singer , 45 minutes later we stood there stunned into disbelief , they were absolutely amazing , kid strange came back on after a raucous applause from the 50 odd of us hardy souls still there and said well there isnt a mainline band so we will do our set again and another 45 minutes later they had repeated the first set .. the next day down to virgin i ran clutching my 2pounds 18p ( great price them days ) and bought this album , since then i have renewed it 4 times and its still one of the top ten albums of a now 1000 plus collection .. buy it love it cherish you wont hear better in many a day

5.0 out of 5 stars A marmite album - you'll adore it or totally fail to understand the fuss, 24 Dec. 2010
Monty (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: late nightmovies (Audio CD)
Oxford Polytechnic, 1975 - going to see the then fab Be-Bop Deluxe made famous by the catchy Ships that pass in the night. But who were these weirdos supporting them? An implausibly tall, blue haired singer lisping and spraying occasional spittle over those of us standing at the front. And this manic violinist? And the angst ridden lyrics and music soaring from chasm to clifftop? Were they utterly brilliant or truly awful? I went on to buy this album, and the two of us who saw them played it endlessly. The rest of our schoolfriends who weren't there didn't get it. But over the years Be-Bop Deluxe have long faded from my memory, while this album never has.
I'm astonished and delighted to find you can still buy it, so I'm going to buy it a second time. My family will hate it. But if you were there in the mid-70s and want to understand what was going on in the pre- dawn of punk, this album is an essential link in musical evolution. Amazing. Buy it, try it, love it, or bin it. Whatever you do, you won't have heard anything like it.

4.0 out of 5 stars brainstorms of joy, 12 May 2008
Mr. C. Benson (stamford u.k.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: late nightmovies (Audio CD)
I got this on cd a few months ago having not heard it since I finally killed my original vinyl version years ago ....who new this stuff was still available ...I was raving about the godlike talents of the kid and urban blitz to my daughter (19 ) and a Saturday girl in one of my shops and they collectively paid enough attention to actually hunt this down and order it for me ....time travel , ,... but also good enought to persuade them to hunt down other albums for themselves ... the doctors ! good for oldies , newbies aand fans of innovative music everywhen

5.0 out of 5 stars A lost classic band, 27 Jan. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: late nightmovies (Audio CD)
I lstened to the record many a moon ago and never forgot it. Like frenetic violin do you punk! like a singer with a lisp? Ok that does not sound do good but the three records that they put out in the early eighties were full of passion and experimentation and a bloody goood live band as well. Missed a piece of the past away from the big city, relive it again with the madness from the doctors.

5.0 out of 5 stars I SAW DOCTORS OF MADNESS AT MALVERN WORCS, 7 July 2008
This review is from: late nightmovies (Audio CD)
As a previous reviewer said,I also witnessed Be Bop Deluxe being blown away that same Sunburst Finish tour.
All the hype at first was totally offputting until these guys hit the stage.YOU RARELY SAW A SUPPORT ACT GET AN ENCORE but they did and how,after all these years It seems like not so long ago.
Be Bop Deluxe had to quit early due to fans charging the stage & climbing light towers nearly brought one down!!,(all due to a single in the charts we got boppers in).Screwed up the evening & people got hurt including my ex wife.
I had the silver sampler disc in it's folder,I believe I still have it,& we bought their album instead of Be Bop's.
Now I know they are on cd I will get to buy them.I played this to my son & his mate some 14 years ago when they were into Nirvana et al & it blew them away totally,just goes to prove a few things doesn't it?
Enjoy this album it is a rare gem.trust me I was there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still sounds good, 28 Feb. 2013
I saw the Doctors of Madness supporting Be Bop Deluxe.They more than held thier own that night.Bought their 3 albums on vinyl as a result.This still sounds okay and the bonus acoustic tracks are a fine addition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Oct. 2014
Duncan Moore - See all my reviews
Excellent

late nightmovies
late nightmovies by Doctors of Madness (Audio CD - 2009)