Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 July 2000
I'm quite surprised to see Melanie C's 'Northern Star' has 50 reviews and I'm the very first to review 'On A Day Like Today'. Both albums are equal in beauty and strength.
Every track on this album is very good, some are excellent ('How Do Ya Feel Tonight', 'I'm A Liar' and 'I Don't Wanna Live Forever') and two of them are masterpieces. We all know the nice 'On A Day Like Today', Bryan's musical adventure with Mel 'When You're Gone' and the remixed 'Cloud Number Nine'. The two songs I hold in my heart are 'Inside Out' and 'Where Angels Fear To Tread'. The last song is mostly for the melody, but 'Inside Out' will remain in my top-10 songs for a long time: never have I heard such touching lyrics, where Bryan tells a girl he wants to know her inside out. "The biggest lie you ever told/you're deepest fear 'bout growing old/the longest night you ever spent/the angriest letter you never sent/the boy you swore you'd never leave/the one you kissed on New Year's Eve/the sweetest dream you had last night/your darkest hour, your hardest fight" and he continues "the sadest song you ever heard/the most you said with just one word/the loneliest prayer you ever prayed/the truest vow you ever made/what makes you laugh, what makes you cry/what makes you mad, what gets you by/your highest high, your lowest low/these are the things I wanna know".
Some may say Bryan turned pop or got soft, I say he discovered real beauty... Thanks Bryan! Keep on rocking the world like you did in Flanders Expo, Gent (Belgium) in october '99!
on 13 April 2001
This album is probably Bryan's best album to date (along with "into the fire") returning more to his rock roots after the disappointing album "Eighteen till I die". Right from the very start this album is pure quality and keeps up the pace right to the very end with only a couple of weak tracks. In short, Brilliant!
on 21 August 2000
... This album is one of the best of Bryan.
Um... personally really love the songs like "Inside Out" and " C'mon C'mon C'mon ", they are definitely fantastic!
There's something special 'bout the album, it's hard the describe. All the songs are "bridged" together. Also, when you hear the album, you 'd hear some "soft background", I couldn't find word to describe it but that's what I love about the album.
Afterall, that's a great album and desearves a better "popularity". I'm afraid it didn't reach the top position in the Uk charts... did it? That's a pit...
on 26 September 2014
I've bought 600+ cds off Amazon but only occasionally posted a review. This deserves one of those occasions. Only a few songs have ever made me tearful but the ballads on this album are just beautiful. All of them are how I think of my fiance. The rockers aren't bad either! Bryan is at his best when he's producing ballads so please BA an album of the likes of c'mon, c'mon, c'mon and inside out and if I had you would be perfect.
on 1 February 2004
If you like Bryan Adams you will like this album. There is nothing shocking here, just 14 tracks which could have been taken from any Bryan Adams album before it.
This is not necessarily a criticism though. Bryan has sold countless albums through the same formula and who can blame him. Stand out tracks on this album are the title track 'on a day like today' 'before the night is over' and 'cloud number nine'.
A good solid album, if you are just curious then stay away but for fans its a must have.
on 24 April 2009
Easily one of his best latter-day albums, On a Day Like Today was something of a surprise when it was released in 1999. Released three years after the typically rocky 18 Till I Die, this album centres more on mid-tempo ballads than "Summer of `69" and "Can't Stop This Thing We Started".

Not as slow-paced as 2008's rather dreary 11, and not as rock-infused as Waking Up the Neighbours, On a Day Like Today shows how Bryan's song writing has matured. Lyrics, never his strong suite, have finally been improved upon, and the melodies are as rich as ever.

The hit title track isn't the only fine single here: "Cloud Number 9" and "When You're Gone", the latter being the popular Melanie C duet. The album tracks are remarkably listenable too, with "Where Fallen Eagles Fly", for example, ranking as one of Bryan's finest ballads.

Not as eminently consistent as 2004's Room Service, but certainly better than a lot of albums he released in the `80s, this 1999 opus is certainly one of Bryan Adams' strongest albums.
on 12 May 2015
I somehow missed this album when it was originally released but I'm making up for it in 2015. I wanted to make up the gaps in my Bryan Adams collection and bought it without hearing it which is not really too wise but Bryan is already in my top 20 favourite artists so it wasn't a huge risk.
It turned out that I got a pleasant surprise and it was full of tracks that I rated 3, 4 and 5 stars on my Windows Media Player. This album rocks you from start to finish. There was just 1 exception. I thought that the slower song, If I Had You was over produced and cluttered by unnecessary instrumental backing spoiling what would have been a much better song. I'd like to hear him perform it MTV Unplugged style.
on 2 June 2009
Bryan Adams is a brilliant singer, I love most of his songs.

This album had some great tracks, though I might have to remove a star on the fact that although the songs are superb, a lot of them are quite simular to each other. Not quite enough diversity.

This will certainly suit fans, but if you are just interested in Bryan Adams' music, may I suggest you buy The Best OF Me first? It's a compilation of his greatest hits, with a nice mix of singing styles.

For the fan, this is the perfect album!
on 14 July 2014
I bought this album just after it came out but lost it.... but this is even better revisited after some time.
on 31 January 2004
What can i say, I love this album. This was the first album i got with Bryan Adams, and I still hear it.