1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Never forget a rock n' roll legend!, 7 Feb. 2012
As a big fan trying to collect everything the boy ever recorded I just had to buy this album because it had a few tracks that I didn't have. This 70th anniversary collection aptly titled Don't forget me is a great collection of his lesser popular songs and live recordings. Instead of presenting an album with his popular, well-known songs that you can get on many other `best of' albums this looks at the true talent of Eddie with a back catalogue that leads up to one of his very last live appearances in the UK before his tragic and untimely death. The album's booklet has some pretty informative notes by Stuart Coleman; telling Cochran's story and the album has a cardboard sleeve with some nice pictures of Eddie that I haven't seen before and also a bubblegum card (random!).

The album begins with Don't bye, bye baby me which features a train sound that I hadn't heard before on a previous version. Some of the more well-known tracks like Jelly Bean, Pink peg slacks and Skinny Jim are included. There are 4 instrumentals showcasing Eddie's guitar talent with Scratchin', Strollin' guitar, Guybo (named after Eddie's bass player), and Song of New Orleans (a happy sounding track and probably my favourite). There are some older tracks here from before Eddie went solo; Gambler's guitar is one of his first recordings which has Chuck Foreman (a friend Eddie new from school) on vocals with Eddie playing lead guitar. I'm ready is a similar affair this time with Hank Cochran on vocals and what follows is a few tracks from the duo the Cochran Brothers. Yesterday's heartbreak which I hadn't heard before sounds like a weaker version of My love to remember. Eddie showcases his low and moody vocals on the brilliant Dark lonely street. Mighty mean is the early version of the more polished Mean when I'm mad. Crusin' the drive-in is a ballad featuring some `doo wops' from a few backing vocalists. Nervious breakdown here is the early version with the trumpets. Amazing song but not my favourite version, but the trumpets do give it some flavour!

Track 20 onwards are the live recordings. Sittin' in the balcony and Twenty flight rock are from Herb Sheldon's studio party from 1957 broadcast by New York TV. One minute to one is very similar to Sittin' in the balcony but it's a really great ballad with some sweet lyrics. Listening to the last live recordings from ITV's Boy meets girls broadcast on 16th and 23rd of January 1960 was a very bittersweet experience for me. Yes these are great live versions of some well known hits as well as a very nice cover of Money Honey (with backing vocalists) and Milk cow blues (the last track), but these are some of his last live recordings which brought on a sort of melancholy and sadness to me. Track 24 and 28 are introductions by the show's presenter Marty Wilde which gives a more authentic feeling to experiencing these live songs. There is a hidden bonus track after 31 of Live fast, love hard, die young. You can tell how old this song is by the quality of the song but disregarding that this is a standout track! It's kind of a celebratory track but also brings us to a shocking reality that Eddie certainly practiced what he preached! He definitely did `leave a beautiful memory'!

After experiencing all the talent on this album it leaves me with such a sadness thinking about how this guy could have gone on to make so many more great songs. He had so much talent and even though it seems such a waste that he died at the age of 21, what he has left behind for us are some of the greatest rock n roll songs from the 50's. It's an album to cherish and one that I thoroughly enjoyed, even though I'd heard a lot of the songs before. Be warned though that this is not an album for a casual fan and not really one for those just starting out to explore his music. It really is collector's gold!

Don't Forget Me
Don't Forget Me by Eddie Cochran (Audio CD - 2004)
Click for more info
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available