Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 November 2011
Once again, Amazon can't be bothered to provide track listings for compilation albums. Maybe they're not interested in selling them. Oh well, I can only try to fill the gaps here with the track listings. They are:

TRACKS: CD1: Begin the beguine (Shaw). A string of pearls (Miller). The Sheik of Araby (Waller). I'm getting sentimental over you (Tommy Dorsey). King Porter Stomp (Goodman). Linger in my arms a little longer (Armstrong). Cherokee (Barnet). I got it bad (Ellington). Oh yes take another guess (Fitzgerald/Goodman). Robbin's Nest (Basie). Traffic Jam (Shaw). I didn't know about you (Horne). I can't get started (Berigan). Stormy Monday Blues (Eckstine/Hines). Jazzocracy (Lunceford). Day Dream (Hodges). I'se a muggin (Teagarden). Sing sing sing (Parts 1 & 2) (Goodman).

CD2: Take the A Train (Ellington). Don't be that way (Goodman). Whoa babe (Hampton). I'm gonna clap my hands (Krupa). Minnie the Moocher (Calloway). Rockin' in rhythm (Barnet). Rock and ride (Leonard). No variety blues (Armstrong). In the mood (Miller). Any old time (Holiday/Shaw). Tuxedo Junction (Hawkins). Big John Special (Goodman). Rump Steak Serenade (Waller). Perdido (Hines). Grand Terrace Shuffle (Hines). Knock knock who's there (Henderson). Rock it for me (Hot Lips Page). Milenburg Joys (Parts 1 & 2) (Tommy Dorsey). Chattanooga choo choo (Miller). Frenesi (Shaw). Things ain't what they used to be (Hodges).

Hope that helps someone out here.
99 comments|212 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 December 2009
This is a good selection of jazz classics from just before WW2, i.e. 1938 onward.
What did our grandparents or great grandparents dance to before the well known days of rock and roll music?
Answer. Jazz or Swing or BIG BAND music or whatever you may call it.
Some of these are tracks are standards that are even used in adverts today.
This is an excellent album and the music quality is not so bad bearing in mind the technology that they had back then.
The sleeve notes make great reading too.
on 27 December 2009
Excellent value. Good range of swing music. Only draw back on my copy the Johnny Hodge track a little fluffed
on 28 August 2010
i bought this CD for my dad and we both really loved it. i was looking for a set that ranged through just about all the important swing bands of that great pre-war era. this was just perfect. miller is there, of course, but the better lunceford and teagarden outfits are just as prominant. "I'S A MUGGIN'" by the latter being a real favourite. i checked most of the others on offer - this was, in my view, the most comprehensive and, therefore, the best.
on 16 July 2011
The recording would appear to have been remastered as the sound quality is very clean.
Good selection and variety of tracks.
Recommended without hesitation.
Excellent value.
on 15 January 2012
If you want to explore the Jazz Swing era of the Big Bands you can't go far wrong with this collection - and at such a low price too. Sound quality is variable, but only to be expected given the age of these recordings, but there is not one single duffer in the collection. Go buy.
on 27 February 2014
foot-tapping, soul-food -cheerful tracks from desperate times, guaranteed to make you pull up your socks and stop complaining! Thankyou Amazon -my cheapest and best entertainment every time
on 1 May 2011
bought this as a gift for a big band fan he liked it so i give it a good review
on 19 July 2013
Yep, it's true. I'll expain, bought 'As Time Goes By' and was instantly hooked. Did a bit of a search on Amazon and hey-presto saw this. It is exactly what it says on the tin and if you like this kind of music as I do now this double CD package is an absolute must have. The sleeve notes are informative as well without being too detailed. Not only that it is fantastic value! If only my Grandparents were still here, they would have loved this! And as an added bonus this compilation led me to especially Glen Miller and more besides.
on 14 December 2013
Fab CD if you want something a tad different from the norm, plenty of foot tapping. Product arrived on time and in excellent condition.