Format: Audio CD|Change

Brilliant as so much sixties pop and rock music was, Blood Sweat and Tears seemed fresh and exciting with their brand of jazz-rock. Of course, much popular music in the first half of the twentieth century had its roots in jazz, but the jazz influence had all but disappeared from mainstream pop music by the time rock'n'roll took over in the mid-fifties. Blood Sweat and Tears showed that records featuring prominent trumpets and saxophones could sell in huge quantities to pop and rock fans.
The group had three major American hits, all of which came from their second album and all of which peaked at number two - You've made me so very happy (written and first recorded by Brenda Holloway, a much under-rated Motown singer), Spinning wheel and And when I die. While these three songs were major hits in many countries around the world, they conspicuously failed to make much impact in Britain, where one of them (You've made me so very happy) was a minor hit and the other two failed to chart. Still, their music is readily available in Britain so their UK popularity is better than the charts might suggest.
This compilation contains those three classics as well as other great songs such as Lucretia Mac Evil, Hi de ho, Go down gambling (all hits in America) and their cover of Got to get you into my file (written by Paul McCartney for Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers, who had a UK top ten hit with it - the Beatles included their own version on their album, Revolver).
This is not the ultimate Blood Sweat and Tears compilation - there are some notable omissions such as I can't quit her - but it serves as a good introduction to their music.
on 4 September 2013
I am a fan of Blood Sweat and Tears. I have most of the B S and T LP's but they were 'very' second hand when I bought them 35 years ago. This single disc is indeed definitive containing all/most of their best numbers.

The sound quality is really good. The group have a huge dynamic range from sweet soft breathy lyrics to many FFF ( B---- Loud) brass instruments. This re-recording ( by their original Columbia label) of this disc made a better job of capturing their multi talented Jazzy sound than the 4 disc set on Original Album Classics which I bought at the same time. The 4 disc set is acceptable but not great sound quality.

If you only buy one BS & T disc then pay a little more by going for this one( first) rather than the 4 disc set. The better sound makes up for the other tracks. You might buy the 4 disc set later if you really go for their style.
on 13 March 2012
This cd surpassed all my expectations , having all the tracks from my worn out cassette tape , plus several other favourites .Fabulous listening at a great price.
on 23 March 2013
This is a fabulous collection of great songs from a band with a highly distinctive sound. I knew a few of these before buying the album and am not disappointed with the rest. A great buy.
on 14 December 2013
A driving band at its best and much to my taste with its smokey vocals interspersed with the most dynamic backing.
on 3 March 2016
Great album always had soft spot for this band as they won me a prize in early hours of the morning many years back always enjoyed them
on 9 January 2016
A great collection of all there hits.
on 27 December 2015
Good old fashioned quality jazz rock.
on 28 December 2015
Great stuff from a classic band...
on 25 June 2013
I am essentially a 60's rock lover -- I was at Woodstock, and this is one of my favourite groups