5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get much better than this!
After buying Fear Of The Dark and loving it, despite mixed reviews, I thought I'd try my hand at this album. With my first listen it blew me away, I can honestly say that this is my favourite Maiden album of all time (I own quite a few now). I had never heard any of the songs before and was drawn in by the cover art, which as alway remains classic, and it is now usually...
Published on 11 Dec 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars A Step Down in Quality
Iron Maiden were the greatest heavy metal band of the 1980's, however I can't help but feel that 'Somewhere in Time' is weak in comparison to the other Iron Maiden releases of the 80's.

'Somewhere in Time' marks a slight change in direction, not only because it is the first Maiden album to feature Synthesisers but some of the material is perhaps a little more...
Published on 14 Aug 2007 by Ed

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Crest of the wave., 21 Nov 2002
Dr Nick "Dr Nick" (Sheffield, S Yorks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
The fourth of the 5 great Maiden albums (IMHO), this was the first album on which the boys used guitar and bass synthesisers.
Not too much, just enought add a bit more atmosphere.
And 'though a few fans balked, enough lapped it up to give Maiden another worldwide hit album.
The opening track starts with typical atmospherics before launching into the "Run To The Hills" style beat, a great guitar riff, and a fantastic chorus.
Wasted Years is another great metal track (and has hit single written all over it), Stranger... has one of the most dramatic riffs ever written, Heaven Can Wait is fantastic, and I love the whole thing.
Some of the most technically demanding guitarwork to date was layed down on this record, which also endears me to it (being a guitar fanatic myself).
Best heard in it's entirety.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 26 Jan 2006
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
This is one of Maiden's finest albums. Somewhere in Time is Maiden at their creative best. There are no filler tracks in this album, all of the tracks are brilliant.
If you are about to buy your first Maiden album, I would strongly recommend this, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, and the original Iron Maiden album or The Number of the Beast. After these, buy Dance of Death :)
Somewhere in Time is a top class album - 5/5
(Listen to Alexander the Great when you buy it)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Brilliance!, 15 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
This is an amazing album from Maiden -the range of subjects dealt with is awesome, something unheard of! My most favourite being "Alexander the Great", I was stunned when I first listened to it. From the first stroke of the guitar, one could tell the historic significance of this song while aware of the presence of heavy metal music -simply awesome, something only Irom Maiden could deliver! "Caught somewhere in time" and "Wasted years" are equally brilliant and Iron Maiden have not failed to impress me with their choice of subject. Listen to it once whilst knowing the meaning of these songs and you'll never stop! Three cheers to IRON MAIDEN!! They are simply the best. Jeffrey Raj

5.0 out of 5 stars An Iron Age Classic, 3 Feb 2013
Rob Blackmore (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
As a spotty teenager, this was one of the first hard rock albums I listened to and I was hooked - this was pure escapist heavy metal.
Never mind stuffy geography homework, these stomping tracks could take you from sun scorched battlefields to a bleak and blistering cross country race (with a splash of science fiction for good measure).

Having later listened to Maiden's earlier albums (including the splendid Powerslave), this was a change of direction for them, and the use of synthesisers, along with Adrian Smith's guitar work, gives the tracks a more polished feel, which they're none the worse for.

My favourite tracks are 'Wasted Years' and 'Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner'. Some listeners may find 'Alexander the Great' a bit rambling, but it wouldn't be Maiden without a 'mini epic' and the instrumentals are pure craftsmanship.

So, twenty six (wasted?) years on, the teenager is now middle aged (minus spots and hair) but the album still rocks. Thank you lads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic: Still holds up well!, 19 Mar 2011
C. Tait "Cat man" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
Not often I write reviews but thought I would for this one. I remember first listening to this as a fourteeen-year old travelling in a car from Durban to Johannesburg. Didn't know at the time I was listening to a future masterpiece!

Anyway, after more than 20 years, I ordered the cd for a bit of a nostalgic listen. Was I ever blown away. Honestly, this is one of the greatest metal albums ever. The real standout tracks for me are "Stranger in a Strange Land" and "Sea of Madness" but the whole thing is great. The guitar work is consistantly brilliant and Bruce Dickinson's vocal attack is unbelievable.

Overall, I would rate this as Maiden's finest album, eclipsing the follow-up "SSOASS" which is usually more highly rated. Don't delay: just buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Musicianship at its best!, 4 May 2010
R. Sørensen "Razorage" (Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
I just sad at my uncle's place last night and listened to this album by Iron Maiden.. In the start I was sceptic because I'm usually into heavier stuff as Pantera, Slayer and Sepultura .. But I got blown away when he put the Cd on! Caught Somewhere in Time, the opening track, contains some amazing harmonies and riffing, solid drums and bass and the vocal is just so huge! But I really got impressed by listening to the second track of the album, called Wasted Years .. This is one of the best songs I've ever heard.. The musicianship between those 5 people is just amazing and outstanding especially in this song and the vocals, drumming, riffing, lyrics and solos (Not to forget) of this band in general is nearly indescribable! All other songs of this album rocks too (: and they ARE one of the most influential bands ever as well!

This album truly deserves 5 out of 5 stars!!! simply a stunning album! (:

Rasmus W.D.S

5.0 out of 5 stars My pick of Maiden, 26 Feb 2008
Mrs. Karny Fieldhouse (Newbury, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
If I could have 1 maiden album, it would be Live After Death. If I could choose an extra, this would be my pick. It's stronger than the first 5 IMO and is interesting. My least favourite is probably The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, which although heavy, is basically just a weaker version of Sea of Madness. As with a best track, it changes on every listen. Overall it'd be Stranger in a Strange Land or Alexander the Great. A few tracks are a bit forgettable (mainly 1 and 8), but those are actually among the best songs here. Epics are never particularly memorable at first. You enjoy them when listening, but once you finish listening to them, you forget everything except awesome. For that reason I won't rate those two songs.

02 - Wasted Years: This is about being on the road. The music is quite upbeat, and rather melodic. I think this is one of Bruce's favourites (check out on Youtube, Wasted Years '86 Gothenburg show). 9/10

03 - Sea of Madness: Also upbeat. This is heavier, not so happy like the previous song. Check it out as I really like this one and I think most people do. 10/10

04 - Heaven Can Wait: My second least favourite song here. Despite a great chorus, the rest of the song is not really that special. 8/10

05 - The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner: My least favourite. Read what I said above. 7.5/10

06 - Stranger in a Strange Land: Thankfully this album doesn't go into mediocrity. (4 & 5 suggest a continuous turn downhill) But this is a favourite of mine. It's very melodic, with one of my favourite guitar solos ever.

07 - Deja Vu: A good song, this is a very progressive metal song in the vein of Dream Theater. 9/10

Highlights - Sea of Madness, Stranger in a Strange Land and Alexander the Great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 31 Dec 2006
D. Kerr "blackantlers" (Belfast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
Many Maidens fans slate this album, but it has so many classics on it, that it outweighs many other albums in the Maiden catalogue. The title track - genius, Wasted Years - genius. Heaven Can Wait - genius. the Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - genius...etc etc etc. The lesser known tracks make this the classic album it is, many never played live, but nevertheless essential. I feel this album (second only to 'Seventh Son...') captures a 'sound' and essentially a band operating at their peak. Adrian Smiths more mainstream sensibilities come to the fore, but do not overshadow the classic maiden sound, Nicko's on top form and the album as a whole is fluid, it all works so well. It's a shame 'Alexander the Great' never got a live outing as it is right up there with 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner' and 'Seventh Son'.

Absolutely great album.

4.0 out of 5 stars an amazing album with timeless classics, 16 Jun 2006
sean paul mccann "mccanns23" (ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
this is a maiden album that some have criticised because of guitar synths thrown into the mix,maiden would go further on seventh son of a seventh son album by adding proper synthesizers,but this album was the first to throw in a more computer operated sound that left some screaming for the exit doors,but in truth the guitar synths add to what is an exciting collection of songs.

the album opens with the classic caught somewhere in time which will leave you bopping and singing along,the bass line is strong here and the melodies are glorious,maiden at this point were masters of creating a catchy song so no change here then,we then have other classics to cherish including wasted years,heaven can wait,stranger in a strange lad and alexander the great,dear lord i must listen to this album again after this review,its an album that just feels right and if im honest it is possibly the first maiden album i heard many moons ago so im always gonna praise it.

Special mention must go to the album cover which is filled with maiden songs and loves all hidden throughout it so if you didnt know that have another look and get those horns up baby and lose yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Maiden classic, 8 Aug 2000
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
This album marks the beginning of what I consider is Maiden's best work. The big synths give the album an orchestral feel, similar to The X Factor or parts of Fear of the Dark. Bruce's vocals are spot on and the songs are superb. Best tracks are Sea of Madness and Heaven Can Wait.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Somewhere In Time
Somewhere In Time by Iron Maiden (Audio CD - 1998)