5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get much better than this!
Published on 11 Dec 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars A Step Down in Quality
Iron Maiden were the greatest heavy metal band of the 1980's, however I can't help but feel that 'Somewhere in Time' is weak in comparison to the other Iron Maiden releases of the 80's.

'Somewhere in Time' marks a slight change in direction, not only because it is the first Maiden album to feature Synthesisers but some of the material is perhaps a little more...
Published on 14 Aug 2007 by Ed

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get much better than this!, 11 Dec 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
After buying Fear Of The Dark and loving it, despite mixed reviews, I thought I'd try my hand at this album. With my first listen it blew me away, I can honestly say that this is my favourite Maiden album of all time (I own quite a few now). I had never heard any of the songs before and was drawn in by the cover art, which as alway remains classic, and it is now usually found firmly rooted in my CD player. Now onto the tracks, they are all very good, generally exceptional, I think Alexander The Great has to be one of my favourite tracks of all time.
It starts with a very singalongable song, Caught Somewhere In Time.
It then moves onto track 2, funnily enough, Wasted Years, which is just one of those tracks that you cannot get bored with.
Track 3, Sea of Madness is a very fast paced song, with again a good chorus.
Track 4, Heaven Can Wait, has a nice creepy intro and some well structured guitar work.
Track 5 has possibly the least sexy title ever, The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner, but has that typical Maiden galloping feel to it and a nice melodic chorus.
Track 6, Stranger In A Strange Land, is on of the stand out tracks of the album and is again very melodic and has a pretty class guitar riff in the chrous and nice slow solo in the middle.
Track 7, De Ja Vu, it's nothing special and is at moderate Maiden standards, but nonetheless I think it brings the album together quite well. It has some great guitar work by Smith and Murray in the verses.
Track 8, Alexander The Great is probably one of the best Iron Maiden songs ever. It's the longest on the album, as the last track usually is, but it is a great way to finish a brilliant album. Great solos, catchy riffs, amazing singin by good ol' Bruce and fantastic drumming by Nicko.
To sum it up, again!, I think that is Cd should have a home in everybody's collection, regardless to whether you like Iron Maiden or not. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Adrian Smith album!, 13 Sep 2005
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
This album without a doubt, Is one of the most overlooked albums of Maiden Wasted Years, Stranger in a Strange land and Sea of Madness, are Adrian Smiths best work.
The album does sound dated but back in 1985/86 is a long time ago now!
I would recommend this album to anyone but you have to look beyond the bass synth and guitar synth.
Wish Maiden could have made this album now it would be there best selling.
Make no mistake Adrian Smith joining Maiden again in 1999/2000 has made them great again just listen to The Wicker man rift. Great Album .

5.0 out of 5 stars A musical masterpiece, 26 Mar 2007
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
This album is a definite to be added to any Maiden collection. In my opinion, it isn't quite up there with Powerslave, but it's pretty darn good nonetheless. "Caught Somewhere in time", "Heaven can wait" and "Alexander the Great" are the three best songs I think, although the remainder have a lot to offer.

You gotta buy it! It will not disappoint!

4.0 out of 5 stars This Album Has Grown On Me Over The Years, 18 July 2007
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
By the time "Somewhere in Time" came out in 1986, I was well into Iron Maiden. I owned every album available in the States, had read "Running Free," and took in my very first concert -- 1985's World Slavery Tour. (What a first concert!) Fairly or unfairly, I had high expectations for this next album, feeling that my musical heroes could do no wrong.

I had read that the group would be incorporating a guitar-synth on the next album. I also had heard that Bruce Dickinson wanted to take a different direction and do an acoustic album. What really got me interested was that Adrian Smith was going to take a lead role in some of the songwriting. With having a hand writing songs such as "The Prisoner," "The Flight of Icarus," "22 Arcacia Avenue," and "2 Minutes to Midnight," I couldn't wait!

I managed to pick up the cassette on the release date, and was again impressed by yet another Derek Riggs masterpiece. I know I missed out on the album art detail with the cassette, but records were well on their way out at this time, and I wanted to listen to this album on the way home. Those that have the album can see all the little jokes on neon signs and in the storefront windows.

My first impression? I was under-whelmed. The opener "Caught Somewhere in Time" fell somewhat flat -- I just couldn't get into the guitar synths. At that time, some of the other songs seemed like throwaways -- "Heaven Can Wait," "Deja Vu," "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner," and "Alexander the Great" really didn't do much for me. To me, Adrian Smith's songs were by far the strongest on the album. "Wasted Years" and especially "Sea of Madness" and "Stranger in a Strange Land" really showcase some fine songwriting skills.

I think the album as a whole was a letdown to me because it seemed somewhat uninspired and lacked direction. It wasn't until years later that I learned there were some creative differences within the band at that time that might have affected the material. I also looked at "Alexander the Great" as an attempt to recapture the lyrical magic of Powerslave's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner." Musically, it's interesting, but lyrically, it fell flat. Coleridge's epic poem translated much better to music than Plutrarch's history.

But time has a way of putting things in perspective; and looking back at this album, knowing what was going on within the band at this time, and hearing the music again after all those years, I find I enjoy listening to the whole thing. I still think Adrian's songs are the strongest, but I have a new appreciation for those songs I kicked to the curb back in '86. I will even go as far as saying musically they've rarely been in better form on an album.

1986/87's Somewhere on Tour concert was spectacular -- probably better than the World Slavery Tour by a hair. Flying spaceships, Bruce's pulsing neon-tube vest, and a robot Eddie...what's there not to like? I found the SIT songs translated very well live -- even with the synth guitars. I remember Adrian and Dave performing a really cool guitar-duet they called "Walking on Glass." A top notch show.

While I ranked this as four stars, I actually think it's more like three and a half stars... Almost four, but not quite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stranger in a Strange Land..., 27 Aug 2007
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
The above title seemed appropriate when comparing this album to it's predecessors.

Somewhere in Time, to me, is one of Maiden's strongest albums along with Powerslave and Seventh Son. From the opening title track that sets the tone for the album to the epic finale from the magnificently composed Alexander the Great, I loved it (although The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner seemed a little weaker when compared to the other songs).

The inclusion of synths, although different to the previous albums, was a nice touch for the themes portrayed in the album and I don't really see a problem with them.
The instrumental was strong throughout and the guitar work was some of the best yet with songs like Stranger in a Strange Land and Alexander the Great displaying just how good the band was, with memorable riffs and well crafted solos from Adrian and Dave. The vocals by Bruce are as good as they were in previous albums and retain their trademark sound.

Overall, it's a good album with a successful venture from the band, not to mention one hell of an excellent cover from Derek Riggs. The B-sides of the singles are worth a look into as well.
Five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, truly excellent!, 29 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
I bought this album together with 'Powerslave', and since i bought it i haven't had it off my Hi-Fi! I would recommend this album to everyone! The songs do fit in well with the suggested theme of the album, and it has to be said that the songs are well ahead of their time!
'The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner' has got to be my favourite pick, Despite the title! It has beautifully structured riffs aswell as powerful vocals! 'Cought Somewhere in time' and 'Wasted Years' are also excellent, especially with the truly metal riff, and the building up of instruments into one of the best metal songs, i believe, of all time! I mean how can you go wrong with an album if you have these three tracks on it! 'Heaven can wait' is also a mint song! another one of the more melodic tunes! All songs reflect the mood of the album, and all songs are going to have you rockin in your rooms! As Nicko McBrain says 'it's 'kin great'! WELL DONE LADS!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic In Time, 19 Sep 2003
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
This is one of my favourite albums ever. Maiden just at their full flowing best.
1) Caught Somewhere In Time: The opening track hooks you in straight away with a brilliant intro. Which then builds into a truly storming Maiden song. What I would give to hear this live again.
2) Wasted Years: Just incredible. A brilliant riff, again, to draw you in and then Maiden go in for the kill with the first single from the album. For those more well educated Maiden fans aren't you glad they didn't call it Golden Years.
3) Sea Of Madness: The heaviest song on the album. Hit all the right notes is Dickinson's voice on this track. A quite rare but quite awesome bass solo part from Harris. Simple but effective.
4) Heaven Can Wait: It gets better and better and better. The albums blistering early pace kept up with the second 7 minuter. Still a favourite of mine live.
5) Lonliness Of A Long Distance Runner: The song title ripped straight from the movie of the same name. Just when you think the album is slowing down with a melodic intro.... Oh no my friends. Another classic.
6) Stranger In A Strange Land: I just can not put it in words so i'll just say the best song by Maiden ever. Everything is right.
7) De Ja Vu: Seventh song on the album still going strong. De Ja Vu is another incredible track with well thought out lyrics.
8) Alexander The Great: A absolutely barn storming, roof raising epic. Dubbed, by Harris, as the greatest Maiden song never to be played live he was right. An awesome tale told about the Macedonian warrior with a truly incredible Adrian SMith solo to boot.
1986 was 17 years ago. But with music like this I wish I had a time machine. If you do not own this album buy it. If you haven't heard it buy it. Everyone else but it!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the album I would suggest to a non-Maiden fan., 2 Nov 2000
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
This was the first heavy metal album I ever listened to, coming from electronic music. And it was convincing. After 13 years, I still like it the same. The sound and style are as consistent through all songs as always with this band (maybe except for "Deja-vu", which is closer to earlier albums), and there is more emphasis on overall effect than on headbanging. There is a great feeling of space you won't get with earlier Maiden's albums, and bigger than that with following ones. Together with lyrics, it speaks irresistibly to your imagination. This album also is a milestone in guitar-synth era - introducing the so-hated-before instrument to heavy metal. But do not get fooled by the presence of the synths - the music is as heavy, as it had always been with Iron Maiden.

5.0 out of 5 stars My pick of Maiden, 26 Feb 2008
Mrs. Karny Fieldhouse (Newbury, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
If I could have 1 maiden album, it would be Live After Death. If I could choose an extra, this would be my pick. It's stronger than the first 5 IMO and is interesting. My least favourite is probably The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, which although heavy, is basically just a weaker version of Sea of Madness. As with a best track, it changes on every listen. Overall it'd be Stranger in a Strange Land or Alexander the Great. A few tracks are a bit forgettable (mainly 1 and 8), but those are actually among the best songs here. Epics are never particularly memorable at first. You enjoy them when listening, but once you finish listening to them, you forget everything except awesome. For that reason I won't rate those two songs.

02 - Wasted Years: This is about being on the road. The music is quite upbeat, and rather melodic. I think this is one of Bruce's favourites (check out on Youtube, Wasted Years '86 Gothenburg show). 9/10

03 - Sea of Madness: Also upbeat. This is heavier, not so happy like the previous song. Check it out as I really like this one and I think most people do. 10/10

04 - Heaven Can Wait: My second least favourite song here. Despite a great chorus, the rest of the song is not really that special. 8/10

05 - The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner: My least favourite. Read what I said above. 7.5/10

06 - Stranger in a Strange Land: Thankfully this album doesn't go into mediocrity. (4 & 5 suggest a continuous turn downhill) But this is a favourite of mine. It's very melodic, with one of my favourite guitar solos ever.

07 - Deja Vu: A good song, this is a very progressive metal song in the vein of Dream Theater. 9/10

Highlights - Sea of Madness, Stranger in a Strange Land and Alexander the Great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost their very best ever but definately one of the 3 best, 8 Jun 2001
Martin H. Emes "Fury" (Scotland, the 'Verse) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere In Time (Audio CD)
This is brilliant Iron Maiden, and if you havent got any of their albums this is probably the best one to get first. The guitar riffs are really good, the solos are the best ever, and Bruce Dickinsons vocals are exelent, making all the songs really great. Also it is well produced with some synthesiser enhancement. There is more emotion in the songs than in earlier albums, but the other best ones are Piece of mind, Powerslave, and the best one after this is Seventh son of a Seventh son. If you don't know Iron Maiden your missing out on the best metal band ever! Up the Irons!

Somewhere In Time
Somewhere In Time by Iron Maiden (Audio CD - 1998)