5.0 out of 5 stars the best soul album ever?????......... maybe, 11 April 2003
This review is from: My Life (Audio CD)
i decided recently that if i could only have one album for the rest of my life......it would be this.....anybody who likes soul, r&b or wotever you wanna call it should hear this album.....
if you only listen to ashanti and co then buy this album and witness how hip-hop inspired soul is meant to sound......

4.0 out of 5 stars Mary J. Blige lets you inside her diary, 2 Aug 2004
This review is from: My Life (Audio CD)
If you want to hear a woman in love with a man who is in the process of dumping her than My Life is waiting for your ears. Song by song, Blige lets listeners into her troubled relationship with K-Ci Hailey from the R&B group Jodeci. She may not have the best voice in the world, but like her debut album, What's The 411?, Blige still lets you know she is and will always be the Queen of Hip Hop Soul. This time singing over more sophisticated samples, Blige opens up with the Rick James sampled "Mary Jane," in which she pleads, "if you give me one more chance/I can still show you romance." A couple of tracks later she takes you into "I'm The Only Woman" and if you know Blige, you know she's not afraid to hide her feelings on wax. It takes a few minutes but Blige goes from "I'm The Only Woman" to the Roy Ayers sampled "My Life." Sounding like she's on the verge of tears she quails, "if you look at my life you will see I'm so blue." As much as we love her honesty on some tracks it's clearly blatant she's a woman in love on the bass driven, "Be With You"

4.0 out of 5 stars One of her best!, 28 Jan 2001
This review is from: My Life (Audio CD)
My Life, the follow-up to 1992's What's The 411?, sees Mary change direction. Gone is the minimal backing of Changes I've Been Going Through, instead the tracks are backed by a range of synthesisers and a full band. While it's predecessor was more hip-hop influenced, My Life heads in a more soulful diection, as shown on tracks such as I'm Goin' Down, her signature tune. 70's soul samples by the likes of Barry White, Curtis Mayfield and Roy Ayers are used to full effect on the hip-hop soul of You Bring Me Joy, the classic sounding I'm The Only Woman and the dreamy My Life. Each track is good or very good, with the exception of the dull, overlong ballads You Gotta Believe and Never Wanna Live Without You. Overall, one of Mary's most consistent works.

5.0 out of 5 stars mary, mary..., 12 July 2005
This review is from: My Life (Audio CD)
this was the most personal album that mary's done. it is also the best. songs like 'i'm the only woman', 'no one else' and the sublime 'be happy' blow me away, even after all these years.
'my life' is pure soul and most r'n'b/hip hop ladies would kill to make an album as brilliant as this.

4.0 out of 5 stars v. good !, 10 April 2000
This review is from: My Life (Audio CD)
i got this cd today and have just listened to it. it's really a must have just for 'i'm the only woman' and the superbly powerful 'i'm goin down'. other highlights include 'mary jane', 'you bring me joy' and 'my life'. the album gets off to a good start, has a dry spell in the middle (excluding goin' down) but picks up a the end with the uptempo 'don't go', 'no one else' and 'be happy'. I prefer 'SHARE MY WORLD' and 'MARY' but this is great. buy it... mary's great.

4.0 out of 5 stars the best of the lot, 8 Mar 2004
This review is from: My Life (Audio CD)
If you're only ever gonna buy one of her albums this is her most soulful, most moving album. You can hear the pain and tell that there was plenty of drama going on at this point. the best hip-hop soul album of the 90's. Aside from 'beautiful ones' and 'All that i can say' on the 'Mary' album, this was MJB at her best! Go buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 May 2014
This review is from: My Life (MP3 Download)
I'd forgotten how good this album was. I like every song but have my favourites. Good memories to. Would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Life - Mary J. Blige, 9 April 2014
This review is from: My Life (Audio CD)
where her legacy began... a phenomenal album, i fell in love with her power and flair from this point onwards... she is amazing - and this album rocks...

5.0 out of 5 stars Dope, 8 April 2014
This review is from: My Life (Audio CD)
Best album ever! Brings back memories! 90's baby! If u know, u know! Hail queen Mary J Blige!! 🙌🙌 👏

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 4 Jan 2001
This review is from: My Life (Audio CD)
Every song on this album could be released as a single. Mary J is a legend and a diva. Sexy sounds and soulful lyrics open your mind. This is a must have for every serious R&B/soul fan out there. This is one CD I couldnt be without.

My Life
My Life by Mary J. Blige (Audio CD - 1999)