5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Royalty, 13 Feb 2004
This review is from: King (Audio CD)
Belly managed 2 albums, Star and King. King is by far the superior album, but came after a disappointing first lp that sold largerly on the catchy 'feed the tree' single. It is a pity that King seemed to be less talked about and probably less sucessful.
King was certainly a coming of age album, and each of the 11 tracks is damn fine. The pace and structure of the album keep continual interest and there is no boring or 'filler' moments.
Although it is a moderately fast paced indie-rock album 'silverfish' and 'the bees' slow the pace down and are just simply superior. 'Super-connected' is probably the most energetic, catchy pop track on the album. And the final track 'judas my heart' does leave you wanting more and is a very strong ending track.
Absolutely essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking the trend of 1990's indie bands, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: King (Audio CD)
Normally when I go back and revisit 1990s indie bands I'm disappointed by albums which they released after I stopped listening to them. Senseless Things released two great albums and I remember being really excited years later to discover they'd done a third. After a couple of listens I tried to forget the discovery and go back to the first couple of albums. The same story can be said for other bands like the Wonder Stuff, Jesus Jones, etc... They shone brightest at the beginning of their careers and the reason I didn't hear about their later albums back in the day was a good thing.
Belly's second album however is an exception to this trend. While Star was a good album, there were a lot of tracks on it which needed dedication. It was a difficult album to introduce to a friend, because it went off on so many strange esoteric tangents. The opening track "Someone to die for" was an instant mood killer and meant it was destined for more solitary occasions and could never really get group listening approval.
King has trumped Star for me and I actually find myself listening to it more often. The whole album is consistently good and I enjoy listening to every track. There are no songs where I'm forced to keep listening based on the respect I have for the other, better songs on the album. You never have to just bite your lip and think, "O well, the next track will be on in three minutes".
With their second album Belly refined their sound, kicked out the weirdness which some people found off-putting and wrote more consistent songs. That's not to say that there aren't sensitive, introspective tracks on here as well. Judas, my heart is a great song in which Tanya's characteristic lyrics appear slightly nonsensical at first but then later in the song she reverses them to give a biting poignancy to the track.
Not to be over looked by Belly-fanatics is their Best of album. When I first saw it, I scoffed and thought why would a band that only had two albums need a best of CD? It just looked like a cheap marketing scam to get us to buy tracks which we already had on the albums. This isn't the case though, with their Best of album, "Sweet Ride", Belly have managed to do something new. Bringing together B-sides, live tracks, rare stuff and even a French rendition of "Judas, my heart" this is a great addition.
With King, Belly have broken the mould and proved that great bands from the 90s carried on making great music even after I stopped listening to it (for a while).

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Album, 9 April 2013
Peter Brierton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King (Audio CD)
I really like this album, although I still prefer 'Star' by Belly.

It has a good feel that hasn't really dated... OK, it's dated a bit but not too much. And anyway, I like that period of music, so yeah, it's bang on! Ha! Ha!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 29 Sep 2011
This review is from: King (Audio CD)
A must for every collection. Tanya donnely at her finest. Every track is perfect, not a bad one on there, but just too tough to pick a favorite. Had this for years and had to buy it again recently due to loaning it to a friend that looses things.

5.0 out of 5 stars American Indie at its best, 26 Mar 2002
David Jones (Douglas, Isle of Man Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King (Audio CD)
I bought this album after listening to Tanya's beautysleep album (also superb). My only regret is that I missed it the first time around.
It just lets loose with more ideas in each song than some artists manage in an album. There is a tremendous live feel to the recording as well - they sound as if they were having a ball! It might take a couple of listens to connect, but if you like anything else you have heard by Tanya or the Throwing Muses - you must try this.

4.0 out of 5 stars King, 9 Sep 2006
L. Omelasz "brekkie_tiffs" (Dundee, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King (Audio CD)
Admittedly, this is a disappointment. Where Star had some eerie songs thrown in with the poppier ones, King's main focus is dreamy pop rock and while that's not a bad thing, I just miss the lack of spooky tunes. However, King is still a good album and undeservedly overlooked at the time, which set the band's split in stone.

Highlight: Now They'll Sleep

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!, 23 Jun 2000
This review is from: King (Audio CD)
I heard 'feed the tree' on a compilation album, which prompted me to buy this. This is how music should be!

King
King by Belly (Audio CD - 2001)